1 2 3
mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/18 7:57 a.m.

Not including my vehicles.

Got a lot of E36 M3 around. Time to get rid of it. At the same time, money is "tight", and I need more money! So I'm setting an arbitrary goal: Get $1,000 by selling your stuff. 

First thing went on craigslist this morning, a portable AC unit. We'll see where we go from here!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/19/18 8:01 a.m.

So...there will be no '95 BMW parts????

Best of luck!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/18 8:02 a.m.
John Welsh said:

So...there will be no '95 BMW parts????

Uh... Well, I could go and nose around my dads attic, there may be some E34 parts up there... But I doubt it!

dunruhroy
dunruhroy New Reader
6/19/18 12:47 p.m.

Um I think I need to do something like this also

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
6/19/18 12:55 p.m.

I've got a list of E36 M, err, I mean "Treasures" that I need to peddle as well. Mostly CL type stuff. I just don't like dealing with people. Put the 1st item on there yesterday, so I guess I made the first step in the right direction.

Meanwhile, anybody needing some scaffolding, an old Lincoln buzzbox, a clay pigeon thrower, an old JD rider, a 2-stroke Lawn Boy, etc, etc, you know where to find me! 

Good luck with your endeavor!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
6/19/18 1:05 p.m.

Recently gotten rid of my very nice but unused table saw for $300.  The canoe went toward the Protege5.  Some old push mowers fetched $75 each.  And about 60 lbs of books brought a whopping $18 at “Half Price”.

there is a pile in the basement for the kids to have a yard sale with when we get home from vacation.

Will
Will UltraDork
6/19/18 2:36 p.m.

I've sold a bunch of stuff on ebay in the past year in an attempt to clean out the garage. I've learned that you can predict some things that will sell quickly, while other good parts sit forever. And sometimes it's amazing what people actually want. I sold a 4.6 Mustang dipstick tube--not the dipstick, just the tube--for $50.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/19/18 2:54 p.m.

I believe my last sale popped me up over 3k in ebay sales for the year, plus random engines, transmissions, wheels, etc.  it feels so good to get rid of stuff that i’ve been tempted to sell some stuff(and cars) I never thought i would be willing to part with.  I had some brand new stuff listed for 75% of other sellers that sat for months and i had some other stuff that went for stupid money relative to what I thought it was worth.  Last week i sold a new old stock power window switch for a 91-93 cutlass supreme sedan for $50.  I at one point had it in my garage sale dollar bin

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/18 3:04 p.m.

Huh. I'm gonna go crazy in the garage tonight with ebay then. Just start listing whatever random objects I can grab. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/19/18 7:55 p.m.

I seem to do this about every 3 years. It's a good way for me to clean out stuff from hobbys I've tryed and lost interest in or just stuff I no longer use. It also makes my wife happy. Right now she would like to see the Ford 7.5 rear axle removed from our porch!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/19/18 8:06 p.m.

Good luck!

I'm thinking I could sell everything I own and wouldn't come close to 1K. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/19/18 8:09 p.m.

I've found it nice to dedicate a small shelf to current ebay listings to make sure you can find the stuff fast when it's time to ship. Also, be patient, and use the "auto relisting" option if you can. I've had stuff just sit and sit for months and then suddenly sell for full asking price. (As opposed to a "best offer," which I usually do enable on my listings.)

octavious
octavious Dork
6/20/18 6:44 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

Good luck!

Now Nick, I'd give you $1k for that motorcycle you are always blabbering about.  wink

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/20/18 7:00 a.m.

I may be doing this soon as well, except probably with another zero in there.  Might be selling the house and moving downtown to a loft.  Wheeee

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/20/18 7:06 a.m.

I so need to get off my ass and do this.  I easily have $10K worth of crap that I'd like to stop taking up space in my very small house.  Car stuff, bike stuff, two and half motorcycles, guitars, and so on... Some will go on eBay, some on various Facebook marketplace groups.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/20/18 7:07 a.m.
Ian F said:

I so need to get off my ass and do this.  I easily have $10K worth of crap that I'd like to stop taking up space in my very small house.  Car stuff, bike stuff, two and half motorcycles, guitars, and so on... Some will go on eBay, some on various Facebook marketplace groups.

Let me know if you find a FS 29er in your junk pile somewhere :)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/20/18 7:12 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

No... closest is an Intense Tracer 275 frame I bought two years ago and never built up.  Been collecting dust in my living room ever since.  I'm trying not to think about how much money I'm going to lose selling that... indecision

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
6/20/18 2:58 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

No... closest is an Intense Tracer 275 frame I bought two years ago and never built up.  Been collecting dust in my living room ever since.  I'm trying not to think about how much money I'm going to lose selling that... indecision

you aren't really losing anything now.  you lost money when you bought it....now it's simply sunk cost.  you can convert it to real money now.  otherwise, it's just a reason to spend more money.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/20/18 3:21 p.m.
Ian F said:

Yeah, I have a really cool Flying V guitar and Fender Mustang amp I should sell. I never play them anymore, but I figure the second I sell them I'll be pissed with myself.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/20/18 3:57 p.m.

I have a few things like this, too.  More than a few.

'73-'74 Gibson L6-s and a nice little mid-'80s Yamaha 10"-12" single amp.  Beat up but serviceable Gibson hard case with the purple velvet lining.

Anybody interested?  I don't really play any more.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/20/18 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

How much?  Probably out of my budget though. All my guitars, amps, etc. were stolen during home burglary 12 years ago and insurance wouldn't cover. Haven't played since.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/20/18 4:43 p.m.
octavious said:
Nick Comstock said:

Good luck!

Now Nick, I'd give you $1k for that motorcycle you are always blabbering about.  wink

I was talking about random crap laying around the house. You can have my motorcycle when you pry it out if my cold dead hands cheeky

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/21/18 8:32 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

In reply to Duke :

How much?  Probably out of my budget though. All my guitars, amps, etc. were stolen during home burglary 12 years ago and insurance wouldn't cover. Haven't played since.

Stupid new mouse with back button in an easy-to nudge place.  Third time typing this up.

I'm not really sure what it's worth, but I can do some investigation.  It's not 100% original because the PO repainted it (nicely) and replaced the front pickup, but it is in pretty nice shape.  The Gibson L6-S is basically a Les-Paul-shaped guitar that's constructed and finished like a Strat.  Maple fretboard.  It has a cool 6-position rotary pickup switch, so it can sound like anything from a Strat to an SG.  A lot of them seem to be missing this switch and it was changed to a different setup in later versions.

I always enjoyed playing it, but I just don't have the ear or the patience to get good.  It'e been sitting under my bed for 20 years at this point.

[edit] Looking at successful eBay sales, they seem to be going between $800-$1000 for just the guitar in varying shape.  Given the repaint and non-original pickup, I think we'd be looking in that range including the amp and hardcase.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/18 8:47 a.m.

Lessons learned in the past couple of days: Facebook Marketplace has worse buyers than craigslist, and craigslist is dead. Getting ready to go to eBay only.

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
6/21/18 9:22 a.m.
mtn said:

Lessons learned in the past couple of days: Facebook Marketplace has worse buyers than craigslist, and craigslist is dead. Getting ready to go to eBay only.

Book face buyer's WORSE than Craigslist buyers. Whoa, that's saying something. Be aware of eBay's fee structure. Good luck.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gxOIGuOhdeTIrdW1PpXSfjsYSbn4kSBY1NpmkTSfPpw6h7L2O8eByn26yIoPErZF