Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/17/12 12:53 p.m.

We have a little Shorkie that was rescued from a raided puppy mill. It is a cute, generally well-behaved little thing and I've grown attached to it. But the little bitch has the sharpest nails ever. And she can't seem to jump up on me without clawing the hell out of me. Sometimes blood is involved. In addition to this, he other day she smelled some popcorn in the folds of a chair cushion and proceeded to shred the cushion in about 10 seconds trying to get to it. What the hell? If I wanted cat problems, I would have got a cat.

Oh, and clipping them seems to make them even sharper. I even tried filing them a little last time. No luck.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
7/17/12 12:55 p.m.

Take her on a longish walk on concrete/cement/asphalt every day. Might help out a little.

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
7/17/12 12:56 p.m.

Sounds like you need some kitten mittens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLq0Vouqh6o&feature=related

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
7/17/12 12:56 p.m.

Dogs are $50 at the shelter, trade up. Get one of these, and the little dog will dissapear, two birds with one stone!

(Disclaimer: Pitbulls are actually wonderful dogs and will not actually eat your Shorkie unless trained to do so. You will also not find a dog like this for $50 at your local shelter!)

ransom
ransom SuperDork
7/17/12 1:09 p.m.

How on earth did this catdog come to be?

Grizz
Grizz Dork
7/17/12 1:23 p.m.

Needs to run and dig and do other dog stuff outside. Wears the nails naturally so they don't have the little daggers. Can't help on the couch, your fault for getting a vermin dog, they smell something they want their first instinct is to dig till they get it.

What the E36 M3 is a Shorkie aside from a Yorkie?

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/17/12 1:24 p.m.

It looks pretty much like this -

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/17/12 1:25 p.m.

It does not look like this one, but I like the picture

Grizz
Grizz Dork
7/17/12 1:42 p.m.

So Shi Tzu then?

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/17/12 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Grizz:

No, Shorkie (which isn't a real breed, I guess). Yorkie and Shi Tzu.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
7/17/12 1:54 p.m.
mtn wrote: Take her on a longish walk on concrete/cement/asphalt every day. Might help out a little.

This works like a charm and you'll never have to clip the nails again.

That or sandpaper on a treadmill.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
7/17/12 2:45 p.m.

Dremel with a sanding drum. That's what my wife used when she was a vet tech. Do it right and there's no sharp edges.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
7/17/12 3:07 p.m.

You can use a dremel but don't hold the nail to the sanding drum too long. They heat up too much. You'll be covered in nail dust when you're done.

Walking on pavement/concrete also works.

When I was single I would discipline my dogs via super soaker pistol. I would give a command "Stop barking at the UPS man!" If they didn't stop I'd shoot'em with the squirt gun. Pretty soon, all shenanigan's stopped. Now, years later, if my wife gives a command while holding the soaker they instantly obey. Otherwise they test her to the last shred of her patience.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
7/17/12 3:16 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: (Disclaimer: Pitbulls are actually wonderful dogs and will not actually eat your Shorkie unless trained to do so. You will also not find a dog like this for $50 at your local shelter!)

Agreed and agreed. You won't find one in the local shelter because of stigma, "They are evil and must die NOW!". Now a local pit rescue.....

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/17/12 5:01 p.m.

we kept our huskies on concrete.. never had a problem with their nails.. the Bichon, which lived in the house, had issues until we started to walk her on concrete too

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/17/12 6:39 p.m.

Can they be surgically altered like on cats?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
7/17/12 8:27 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Can they be surgically altered like on cats?

Please, no. Not even on cats.

Plus one on the walks on concrete/asphalt, or the dremel-looking nail grinder option, provided you don't heat up the nail to the point of discomfort. Work long nails back in stages, taking a few days in between, to give the long quick a chance to recede on its own.

Dark nails make it more of a guessing game, so take it slow to keep the dog's confidence in you. Some dogs don't even like having their feet touched due to previous bad experiences during nail trimming.

If I may, I suggest not allowing any dogs on furniture, ever. No beds or couches. When you want to cuddle with them, get on their level. This helps establish your role as leader of the pack.

Jumping on you should not be permitted. I stand and turn my back on my dogs when they jump up, and if they persist I will stick my foot out and nudge them back. I make no eye contact and only engage them verbally if they are out of control. At that point they are going in their crate, so the verbal commands are "calm down" or "quiet time". If I can't regularly get the dog(s) under control verbally they remain on leash so that transition to the crate is easier or avoidable. I have a 40 foot lead for yard work and generally, they behave better on lead. If they go back to the crate for a time out, its for a few minutes. As long as they're calm, they get to come out and try again. Wound up, agitated dogs need a calmer environment to work in and special focus on their triggers. Sounds like your girl is food motivated. That should make her easier to work with.

Baby steps.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/17/12 8:55 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Some dogs don't even like having their feet touched due to previous bad experiences during nail trimming.

I can vouch for this. The only time my dog gets her nails trimmed is if the vet sedates her. She doesn't go to the vet often...

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/18/12 10:46 a.m.

In reply to neon4891:

I'll sheepishly admit that I made one of her nails bleed last time I trimmed them. So, it really might be the last time she lets me trim them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cr8mWCGTkBTbVBOBOKGr5HPSFFYsQVQxU6Xib92ECr1gVVMCSNrIyGtJNoG4M9rE