1 2
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/24/21 8:19 a.m.

Agreed.  Stories.

Not much to add since I did traditional school.  I was a little concerned for my nephews growing up.  They were homeschooled by my sister and brother-in-law in a super-churchy household.  Nothing against religion or my sister, but the specific church they were a part of was a particularly cult-y example of a mildly cult-ish sect of a borderline cult religion.  My nephews were Rod and Todd Flanders right down to fighting over who gets to ask the blessing before dinner.

They're now 18 and 21 and they are incredible humans; compassionate, happy, successful.  The 21 year old is in his third year of his Forestry and Conservation degree, and the 18 year old has already started a successful landscape and home improvement business with three employees working toward his contractor license.  I briefly dated a lady who was in a similar situation.  Her father was a former Mennonite and her mother was Brethren.  (for those of you who don't know, if Amish is Michelob, Mennonite is Michelob light, and Brethren is Michelob Ultra).  The lady I dated was quite possibly one of the finest and most resilient humans I ever met.

Drawbacks and benefits to homeschooling, but the more I encounter homeschooled people, the fewer drawbacks I see.

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/24/21 4:05 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It's a Sheltie! Her name was Kelly. Great fantastic dog. 

2/24/21 4:09 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I don't have any memories of riding in the Bronco. It blew a cylinder head or something (Ford paid for it) in Oklahoma City and we got a "Three Putt Green" Pinto as a loaner. I distinctly remember riding in the back under that big piece of glass and my dad bitching about how gutless the car was.

2/24/21 4:19 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I've always loved sociology! It's taken decades, and I'm still torn on the answer, but I think: It depends.

I needed social "conditioning," (if you will) and I did not receive any. At any rate, I was past 40 years old and still essentially emotionally someone in their early 20's. Smarts I had, but without normal social interaction learned over the years I was bereft. 

Another kid might have sailed through all of this and have been up to speed socially. 

2/24/21 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

Mmm., close, but about 100 miles eastward. Correct latitude though! Nice!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/24/21 4:32 p.m.
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) said:

Yes, that's a pillow on top of the Scout.  Yes, my Mom is drinking Busch for lunch. Yes, that is a can of baked beans with a spoon in it.  Yes, she made her hat. Yes, I'm squinting because it's bright as berkeley. And, yes, I've never been to school.  And yet my parents were conservatives. 

Anyone want more? laugh

That is not weird that is how my childhood was. . .

Ok so there was the part where my baby sitter was the daughter of a middle eastern country's dictator but hay it was fun.  

2/24/21 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Home schooled can get Super-Weird.

Personally, unless the parents are unusually cool and collected people, I am against home schooling. I ended up "teaching" myself most of my years. I learned more by just being curious, not from the stuff from the correspondence source. 

2/24/21 4:57 p.m.

Ok, sorry for the delay, but I have a busy life, and, of course, things happen. Anyway, I spent two days finding this photo: This was the day my parents drove the Scout II off the lot. We always carried potable water, some food, blankets, and recovery equipment.  On this day we did not. My father drove up to a "wash", and proceeded straight, ignoring all of the fresh tracks going down to the right. Yes, Sports Fans, here we are. Stuck like a mother berkeleyer without any food, water, or big jack. 

We could see the interstate, about 3 miles away, and we could see the town we were staying at about 4 miles away. So they spent about 2 hours jacking up the front of the Scout II using the factory jack and rocks. (I helped)

Gold dredging in California. Parked in a river. Snow melt water is berkeleying cold.

Donner Pass. Scout's got knobby tires and rims! Oops, I guess I'm living in a bus!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/24/21 5:25 p.m.

I kinda figured there was a bus towing these offroaders but my guess was more 1950s school bus. That's an impressive rig for 1974. Probably not older than 1964 if that. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/24/21 5:27 p.m.

Is your dad sporting a revolver/holster on his hip? 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/24/21 5:36 p.m.

This has to be the best thread of 2021! 

Keep going please. 

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
2/24/21 7:40 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Is your dad sporting a revolver/holster on his hip? 

I'd bet it was loaded with ratshot cartridges to dispatch rattlesnakes.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/25/21 10:56 a.m.

It's interesting that the this topic of education is brought up right now while my wife's revivalist Catholic family insists on trying to homeschool 6 kids. In the middle of a city. Now, homeschooling doesn't bother me, as I know plenty of success stories, but I will say that most of the folks I know who did well with it also were small families who's parents didn't like the confines of the home. They spent a lot more time traveling than most kids, either by choice or necessity (military brats). 

My sister-in-law, on the other hand, is a homebody, who only likes to leave home for church, getting together with girlfriends, family stuff, or thrift shopping. She prefers not to drive. With 6 kids, just getting them into a car is a hassle. 

It's a classic case of "YMMV" - I think people learn better who are inspired to learn and ask questions and think critically, and both styles of education (formal or informal) can negatively impact or benefit it, depending.

Also, the area look in the pictures looks like Inland Empire of California. Maybe western Arizona, Southwest Nevada. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/25/21 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Shadeux (Forum Supporter) :

Is it okay if I ask what line of work your Dad was in?  He appears to have been quite a fascinating fellow.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/25/21 12:05 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Drawbacks and benefits to homeschooling, but the more I encounter homeschooled people, the fewer drawbacks I see.

The answer to that implied question is a resounding IT DEPENDS.

I am the youngest of 4 kids; I have 3 older sisters (8, 11, and 13 years older than I).  We are all the product of the same conventional parents and conventional schooling.  My oldest sister was always a self-motivated good student, with some natural curiosity.  My youngest sister was not a bad student but was as deliberately 'normal' as she could possibly make herself.  The subject of this discussion is my middle sister.

Sister #2 got pregnant (on purpose) out of wedlock at 19 and dropped out of high school (on purpose).  At 20 she married her high school sweetheart (also a dropout), who was not the father of her child.  Nonetheless he was a decent father and they went on to have 3 kids of their own.

Everything she ever did was in pursuit of her vision of some idealized, artsy, bohemian, lifestyle that A) never really existed, and B) she was far too lazy to ever actually make happen.  Ditto her husband.  Every choice was made in the least normal, least cost-effective way.  Including family staples like housing and vehicles.  Which is fine when you have the resources for it, but not so much when you never want to bother with a paying job or full time parenting or anything boring like that.  She wanted to have 6 kids but had no possible hope of supporting them, and frankly didn't care for the actual duties of parenthood.  At least she gave up on that idea and stopped at 4 kids.  Mind you - her oldest kid is just 8 years younger than I am and her youngest is actually 1 month younger than my second kid.

Her first son graduated high school but has held a succession of 1-month to 1-year jobs ever since.  Incapable of sticking to anything, including marriage and being a father.

Her second son did not come close to graduating high school.  Eventually got a GED.  Always in trouble at school and the district expelled him when he turned 18.

Her third son (I think) got a GED after she homeschooled him for high school, but it was tough.  He eventually went on to take at least some trade classes.  Not sure what he's doing now - he bounced around some different jobs - but against all odds he's actually the one who has stepped up and become the most mature of the whole batch, albeit still in his own peculiar way.  Has 1 kid of his own and one step kid love child his wife brought home from an affair (long story).  Regardless, he is a devoted father to both.

Her fourth son.  Well, I guess she was tired of hearing from teachers and administrators, because she decided to home school him.  This despite having very little education herself (either formal or self-taught).  Mind you, she was at least 40 when he was born and was already tired of parenting her previous kids.  Like I said, bad choices are a way of life with her.

Although she talked a good game about how she conducted their "school", as far as I know he received little or no actual education beyond reading, writing, and basic arithmetic.  The last time I talked to him was about 10 years ago when he was 15.  He was weird and poorly socialized.  He ran away on his 18th birthday.  I have no idea what he's doing with his life.  I sincerely hope he's catching up on all the stuff he was never taught as a kid.

This is NOT a blanket condemnation of either home schooling or alternative child-rearing.  But as I led off with, the success is very dependent upon the parent's willingness and ability to be an actual parent.

My eldest sister was a Montessori teacher for most of her career.  That's very open-curriculum and very child-self-directed.  I'm familiar with alternative learning methods and home schooling.  I know dozens of success stories among family and friends who have home schooled for a variety of reasons.

It can work well.  But you have to work at making it work.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/25/21 12:19 p.m.

Cool subject, share away!

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/5/21 9:03 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

A single action of some kind - cowboy style!  Carry on.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zxTiyLqZr4atzmsELhXg0zK7F5Jx4TTrdNepvuzoGhhj1N6LIQWjcgVnSNfsR1N0