1 2 3
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/30/21 8:00 a.m.

In preparation for a move my wife and I have been selling LOTS of stuff for the last 6+ months. Almost exclusively on FaceBook marketplace.  I've noticed something odd, and VERY repeatable. 

It seems that the cheaper something sells for, the more of a pain in the rear the buyer is. Here's a for-instance:
A - I'm selling some very expensive speakers. The ad for them is clear and concise. The asking price is a little lower than you'd expect. Potential buyers will send me well thought-out questions that are either based on info in the ad, or on info that's isn't in the ad. I answer those questions, and maybe they have a follow-up question, maybe they don't. We have a pleasant conversation.

B - I'm selling some very cheap speakers. The ad for them is clear and concise. The asking price is a little lower than you'd expect. Potental buyers will usually ask one specific question, where is he item located. The VERY FIRST LINE in the ad tells where they are located. They will often ask how much is shipping. The ad says I am willing to ship, and if you want a shipping quote please provide me with your zip and I'll get you a number. I often will get a message through facebook that says "Hey" or "speakers". That's it. Nothing else. 

Without fail the questions I get in scenario A are intelligent questions that clearly have a goal; to determine if the speakers will suit their needs. Almost without fail the questions I get in scenario B are either answered in the ad, or is just mind-vomit translated to text.  

Here's my observation/question. The people that are in a position to spend a few grand on speakers have attention to detail, reading comprehension, critical thinking, etc. that eludes the folks that are looking to spend a few dozen dollars on speakers. I suspect that the way these A- and B-type people approach these ads is the way they approach everything. The A people are more successful (assumed because they are looking to drop serious coin on something absolutely not necessary) in life because they put more care into a job interview, or more care into performing a job than the B folks. The B folks see speakers listed and thumb out the most elementary question without even reading the ad. That's how they approach work, thus (assumptions here folks, sorry) they never get ahead.
Am I out of line? Am I a jerk? What's the deal?

I suspect I'll get some hate, but I don't mean it to be offensive. It's just an observation. I had the same A/B scenario play out when I was selling two home theater recievers. One was selling for as much as a decent used car, the other was selling for much less. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
9/30/21 8:31 a.m.

I'd say that is remarkably accurate.

It's the difference between cheap and value.   It might cost more up front to buy a high quality used car than a new Mitsubishi Mirage.  But over the long run the used car is a better value and people who have money understand the value of a dollar.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/21 8:35 a.m.

Your post exactly mirrors my experience and my view. 

I will add, that some will throw out shocking and disrespectful low ball offers on the first communication. I mean like 20% of asking price. Behavior that they wouldn't dare do in face to face situations. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/30/21 8:36 a.m.

Sums it up well. Theres some bleed over in both ways on the automotive side of marketplace though. 

wae
wae UberDork
9/30/21 8:36 a.m.

My wife works for the department that hands out gubbmint cheese to people who find work to be too exhausting.  Based on the stories that she and her coworkers have told me, you are right on the money.  If you have good communication skills and can relate to people, I suspect you are statistically more likely to be in a higher income bracket.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
9/30/21 8:40 a.m.

I also agree with your assessment.  There are a lot of morons out there.  I don't care if its not PC, it's true.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/30/21 8:40 a.m.

Generally accurate, the only broad exception to this that I have seen are people for whom English is not their first language. I see it as a failure of our education system. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/21 8:55 a.m.
mtn said:

Generally accurate, the only broad exception to this that I have seen are people for whom English is not their first language. I see it as a failure of our education system. 

Right, but exception both ways. If English is a struggle, you are likely to ask poor questions about expensive items, but you also are the most reliable and polite person interested in the cheap thing. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/30/21 8:56 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
mtn said:

Right, but exception both ways. If English is a struggle, you are likely to ask poor questions about expensive items, but you also are the most reliable and polite person interested in the cheap thing. 

Fully agreed. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/21 9:01 a.m.

This is exactly why I just drag stuff out to the curb now: GMT400 hood, HF flux welder, old wheels, etc. It's just not worth the aggravation for anything less than $50 or sometimes even $100. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
9/30/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Totally agree Pete. I've made more donations in the last 2 years than I think I ever have because the aggravation and time to deal with a buyer in most cases is more costly than the money I'm getting from the sale. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/30/21 9:07 a.m.

Hey

Speakers

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/21 9:10 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

This is exactly why I just drag stuff out to the curb now: GMT400 hood, HF flux welder, old wheels, etc. It's just not worth the aggravation for anything less than $50 or sometimes even $100. 

Yeah. another thought it to put it up for $10. For some reason, people show for really cheap stuff but flake for free stuff. 

bruceman
bruceman Reader
9/30/21 9:20 a.m.

Had similar educational experience selling cheap car on Marketplace: $3500.

You knew is someone first responded with Whats the lowest you'll take? or $1000 I'll pick it up today or a picture of motorcycle/beater car for trade etc, they were not going to buy it and I may as well ignore them. I had >50 people respond like this.

The true potential buyers wanted to know when they could see it, wanted more photos, and kept in touch as to when they would be coming to see it.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
9/30/21 9:25 a.m.

If I don't think I can get at least $100 for something, it's free. I don't have the patience to deal with the people that will try to beat me up on the price.

This has led to lots of arguments with a friend of mine. "Why are you giving that away, that's $10 or $20 you could have?" Not worth the berkeleying headache.  I don't like people, I don't have good people skills, and when Billy Bob shows up trying to give me $2 for something I'm asking $20 for, I have a hard time not punching him for being such a douchebag. 

Even with expensive items, I still get people who will hem and haw and try to feed me some sob story about how they deserve it for free then get all angry when they're told to berkeley all the way off. Your problems are not my problems, I don't know you, I don't give a flying berkeley about you. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/21 9:27 a.m.

Agree with pretty much all of the above, including setting things at the curb even though they have some cash value. I've finally realized that my time and my stress level also have cash value.

9/30/21 9:32 a.m.
RevRico said:

[1]This has led to lots of arguments with a friend of mine. "Why are you giving that away, that's $10 or $20 you could have?" 

[2]Even with expensive items, I still get people who will hem and haw and try to feed me some sob story about how they deserve it for free then get all angry when they're told to berkeley all the way off.

[1] when someone says that to me I say "gimme $20 and I'll help you load it."

[2] "berkeley all the way off" has just been added to my lexicon. Thank you!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/30/21 9:32 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah. another thought it to put it up for $10. For some reason, people show for really cheap stuff but flake for free stuff. 

I've made probably $200 to $300 over the summer from grabbing stuff off my neighbors curbs, cleaning it, and throwing it up on FB Marketplace for 25%-75% of its actual value. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/30/21 9:34 a.m.

Very accurate and not politically incorrect. Facts don't care about feelings.

I can weed out the ESL questions from the lazy questions pretty quickly and have had little to no trouble from people who have poor English skills. Heck, they're making the effort to ask questions in a language they're not fluent in. I probably couldn't do that.

My usual form for asking questions on Marketplace is: "Hey, I'm interested in your ----. When can I come pick it up? I have cash and I won't waste your time".

Works every time.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
9/30/21 9:38 a.m.

Expensive stuff I sell. 

Cheap stuff I donate, set beside the road to be stolen, or throw out. It's not worth the trouble to sell it. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/30/21 9:50 a.m.

Very accurate assessment by the OP and one which can often work in your favor if you are the former type of buyer and not the latter.

Recently I was shopping for a used commercial oven for my wife.  Found one, $8k unit listed used for about $700.  Contacted the buyer with considerate questions and had a meaningful discussion about it.  However he was some distance away and it would be a few days before I could examine, pay and pickup.  Although I didn't even ask, the seller volunteered that he was tired of "dealing with the idiots" and would mark it sold if I told him I was bringing a trailer and ready to take it if it functioned as advertised.  I agreed and also agreed on a much lower price because he was over the whole ordeal. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/30/21 9:57 a.m.
ShawnG said:

My usual form for asking questions on Marketplace is: "Hey, I'm interested in your ----. When can I come pick it up? I have cash and I won't waste your time".

Works every time.

Similar to my standard. If I want to buy it for the price they have it: 
"Hi, is the widget still available? I have cash in hand and can pick it up tonight at 7:30PM and am local"

If I want to negotiate, replace "I have cash in hand" with "Would you take [offer]?"

It is relatively rare that I need more info, but when I do, it is usually a detailed request for another picture so that I can determine exactly what it is. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/30/21 10:04 a.m.

I'll throw a monkey wrench into your theory. Pricey speakers are *not* a good test case.

High end, used speakers are a niche item that will attract someone who is a hobbyist who has educated themselves.

Having wealth doesn't necessarily make someone intelligent, well spoken, or considerate. There are plenty of Karens running around with Coach bags. The monied shiny happy people aren't buying high end used equipment though. They're buying a home stereo setup from Best Buy and being rude to the poor kid doing customer service there.

Imagine it's cars. You're going to get a very different person looking at an $8,000 NB Miata in excellent condition, than someone looking for an $8,000 350z. The two people have the same amount of money to spend, but value very different things.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/30/21 10:10 a.m.

I have given away a LOT of stuff just because of the dollar-to-hassle ratio. This pair of speakers I'm selling for cheap now was (for some reason) the exception to that rule. I just had a guy ask me an intelligent question and I answered it. He is supposed to come to get them this evening. If he shows up on time, I'll give them to him just because he's not a mouth-breather. 

And yeah, i get the point about ESL folks. But I think you can usually tell. I give them a LOT of credit. I can't ask questions in any language other than English, Canadian, and Pig Latin. And I struggle with Canadian. If you can eek out a semi-intelligible question in a foreign tongue, kudos to you!!

9/30/21 10:13 a.m.

As a FBMP buyer, I never ask "is it available". When can I see it, do you have service records, how long have you owned, etc. Yet sometimes I get response "yea it's available." WTF kind of seller is that? Pavlovian response based on so many unintelligent buyers?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nqx7Ot1UdlPs3LIjzjAKxddJGHr4pp6WWd1s1ci6A6uPa1eoSbIz7BtaErj7dULe