1 2
Wally
Wally SuperDork
7/20/10 4:24 p.m.

From time to time I like to ruin movies, songs, ect for people. I walked into my Mom's office and Bucky Covinngtons "I'll walk" was playing. One of them commented on what a sweet song it was. I countered that he was a giant Asshat. They only seemed to hear the part where he marries the cripled girl, not how he's to blame for her injuries.

The prom ends, he drives her out to the middle of nowhere with a bottle of whatever booze he could round up. They have a little and she decides he's not getting any. I don't know why, it could be anything. Maybe because his name is Bucky. They why's aren't important. I can't be the only one who went 0 for high school. Anyway, He starts to drive back to town thinking of how much he spent tonight. He's a bit buzzed, somewhat disapointed, and most likely a bit turgid. He pulls the car of on the shoulder to take one more try, maybe grabs a handful of boobie, and she gets out of the car. Instead of following along slowly until she got back in the car, he leaves her in the woods on a dark road where she can get run over by a car. If that's not a douchebag I don't know what is. Now he thinks he's a hero because he's marrying her and probably geting a piece of whatever settlement she got from whoever ran he over?

The hens became so agitated that the cd was pulled from the computer and broken as they went on about how such a rotten person took their money.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/20/10 4:34 p.m.

Here's another one: Sweet Caroline was written about Caroline Kennedy.

She was 11 at the time. Go listen to the lyrics (if you even have to). Eww.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/20/10 5:10 p.m.

I had never heard the song so I googled it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muXJK0mrvgs
Yeah, the way you present it, he is just a leach.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
7/20/10 5:19 p.m.

Whenever the Carnival Cruise commercial comes on (you know, the one with "Lust for Life" playing in the background), I like to remind whoever is around me that the song is about a raging heroin addict and that there's NOOOOOOO way he could afford a cruise like that...

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
7/20/10 5:25 p.m.

How about Beautiful World by Devo in those Target commercials, or Getting Better All the Time by the Beatles (don't remember what commercial)?

Beautiful world ends with "for you, for you, but not for me"

Getting Better has "can't get no worse"

They don't get to those lines in the commercials of course.

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
7/20/10 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

Wow, that's a very cynical take on that song, I never would have looked at it that way. But it's so awesome that you did.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
7/20/10 5:50 p.m.

i heart wally!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/20/10 5:53 p.m.

I found it very amusing that the Army used The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" as the soundtrack to a recruitment commercial.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/20/10 6:37 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I found it very amusing that the Army used The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" as the soundtrack to a recruitment commercial.

I refuse to inject a John Kerry reference here.

Oh, wait...........

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
7/20/10 7:33 p.m.

No mention of the Police's "I'll be watching you" That is one hell of a creepy stalker song, NOT some romantic I'll be there for you thing that most folks think it is.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
7/20/10 9:01 p.m.

For some reason when ever I stop by mom calls me Mr Miller, no relation and tells people I'm just there to pay my bill

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
7/20/10 9:15 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I found it very amusing that the Army used The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" as the soundtrack to a recruitment commercial.

I'm pretty sure Nissan and Mercury have both used that song in ads, too.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/20/10 10:09 p.m.
DustoffDave wrote: Whenever the Carnival Cruise commercial comes on (you know, the one with "Lust for Life" playing in the background), I like to remind whoever is around me that the song is about a raging heroin addict and that there's NOOOOOOO way he could afford a cruise like that...

I've said that for years. Did the add guys listen to the song? Have a fun family vacation with Iggy Pop.

calteg
calteg New Reader
7/20/10 10:37 p.m.

Sublime's popularity confirmed that most people are cattle who don't care enough to listen to the lyrics.

"Wrong way": Singer has carnal relations with a 12 year old in the bathroom. Then offers to kill her dad.

"40 Oz to freedom:" Alcoholism as an escape from life

"Smoke two joints": self explanatory

etc, etc

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
7/20/10 10:43 p.m.

During the tail end of my college radio days a band called "Morningwood" was charting. A year or so later their single 'Nth Degree' was used in a Mercury Milan commercial.

Listen closely and you can hear them spelling out "M-O, M-O-R, M-O-R-N-I-N-G-W-O-O-D" in the beginning. That agency had serious chutzpah to slip that past the suits.

flountown
flountown New Reader
7/20/10 11:05 p.m.

"All My Life" by the Foo Fighters references performing oral sex on a female and other references to lady parts...

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
7/20/10 11:09 p.m.
Wonkothesane wrote: And of course there's always the "patriots" proudly beating their chests to "Born in the USA."

And from the same album, at one time New Jersey was considering making "My Hometown" it's state song...

Bruce said: In '65 tension was running high at my high school There was a lot of fights between the black and white There was nothing you could do Two cars at a light on a Saturday night in the back seat there was a gun Words were passed in a shotgun blast Troubled times had come to my hometown Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back to your hometown
egnorant
egnorant Dork
7/20/10 11:23 p.m.

I once maintained that I would not listening to a country song until I heard a really happy one. "I've had a beautiful time" by Waylon was my turning point...then I figured out that it was about a man cheating on his wife with a hooker.

Bruce

ZOO
ZOO Dork
7/21/10 6:50 a.m.

I struggle with hearing all the lyrics in songs -- and it burned me once. One of my duties at one time was to play "the morning music" that we use to remind our students that they had five minutes to get to class. I HATED that, because I am not really a music guy (although now that I've drunk the koolaid and ended up with an iPod that may change). Anyway, I picked "I don't like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats -- beautful song, kind of fun on a Monday morning, right?

Except that it is about a school shooting and its aftermath

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/21/10 7:03 a.m.
Wally wrote: From time to time I like to ruin movies, songs, ect for people.

Well isn't that noble.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
7/21/10 11:39 a.m.
asterisk wrote: During the tail end of my college radio days a band called "Morningwood" was charting. A year or so later their single 'Nth Degree' was used in a Mercury Milan commercial. Listen closely and you can hear them spelling out "M-O, M-O-R, M-O-R-N-I-N-G-W-O-O-D" in the beginning. That agency had serious chutzpah to slip that past the suits.

oh jesus, they opened twice for two bands here in D.C. what a vulgar no talent creep, the female lead singer. awful music, and I say that as someone who will listen to a lot of weird, off the wall stuff. needless to say I skipped them the second time.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/21/10 12:07 p.m.
calteg wrote: Sublime's popularity confirmed that most people are cattle who don't care enough to listen to the lyrics. "Wrong way": Singer has carnal relations with a 12 year old in the bathroom. Then offers to kill her dad. "40 Oz to freedom:" Alcoholism as an escape from life "Smoke two joints": self explanatory etc, etc

I disagree. I heard the lyrics. It was like a alot of county music lyrics. Its a depressing thought, but still a reflection of how somepeaple live their lives. A calling attention to the fact that not all os right with the world.

Plus it had a nice beat and I could dance to it.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
7/21/10 12:39 p.m.

Someone ruined Jack and Diane for me with comments like that. Jerks.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
7/21/10 12:55 p.m.

And that is why I don't listen to "music". Does anything have a melody any more ?

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/21/10 12:58 p.m.

Listen to the Sarah MaGlocklin (ok, screwed the last name) song in the background of the adopt a pet commercial, with the animals sad faces in the cages. . It was written about a heroin addict wanting to die in a flea-bag hotel. Talk about irony. Beautiful voice and song; the back-story sucks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dv9WxWeBFStOO3nTSHc7E1VDUpT2hL16ZYB1Ap7p940nfU88A1IVoHXM1WMxIcY8