Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/25/09 8:02 p.m.

Here's the deal:

We have a Verizon family plan. My phone (Motorola Razr, 4 years old) has broken. I am not eligible for an upgrade and I need a new phone. I don't text and almost never take photos with it. I need to make and receive calls and that's about it. I have always loved Motorolas and a new Razr would be fine with me, but Verizon's website no longer offers them.

I know very little about cell phones or the cell phone business.

Suggestions?

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/25/09 8:10 p.m.

The cheapest phone they offer should do ya just fine.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/25/09 8:16 p.m.

I'd really like another Razr if I could buy a leftover and get it activated.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
6/25/09 8:17 p.m.

You can buy a used phone. When people upgrade, the old phone usually just gets tossed in a drawer - or sold on eBay. Just make sure it's for the Verizon network (CDMA, I think) and you should be able to pick one up pretty cheap- like this one. Or find another Verizon customer and ask what they have in their drawer. I loaned one of my old phones to my boss when his died.

Are you sure you're not eligible for an upgrade? Our Verizon account has "New every two".

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/25/09 8:27 p.m.
Keith wrote: Are you sure you're not eligible for an upgrade? Our Verizon account has "New every two".

Yes, I'm sure. My kid puts a lot of miles on phones and has exhausted our "new every two" credits.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
6/25/09 9:27 p.m.

Find an independent retailer in your area that carries Verizon as well as at least one other cell company. These retailers often take in trades when customers switch. Since the retailer does do Verizon he can likely complete the entire switching for you.

If you can not find a retailer who deals in Verizon and another then still be sure to focus on visiting the independent retailers. These guys tend to be much more flexible.

If this does not work, follow this link and find a retailer who carries this product, Page Plus. These are all used phones that opperate upon the Verizon netwok.
http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Why%20Page%20Plus/Store%20Locator.aspx

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/25/09 9:47 p.m.

Razrs are pretty much a dime a dozen, CL could be another good place to look just make sure the Esn is clean, a call to verizon should verify if it is clean.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
6/26/09 7:36 a.m.

Razrs are notoriously fragile as well...just so you know.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/26/09 7:50 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Razrs are notoriously fragile as well...just so you know.

I managed to keep the last one going for four years.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
6/26/09 10:22 a.m.

I have a moto 385i (?) I think it is from when I just switched to the iPhone and AT&T. You can have it for cost of shipping if you want but the catch is I'm out of town till the 6th.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
6/26/09 10:37 a.m.

cybercellulars.com in spring hill florida cheap refurbs

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
6/26/09 10:59 a.m.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/search/ele?query=razor&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

Woody
Woody SuperDork
6/27/09 5:39 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: I have a moto 385i (?) I think it is from when I just switched to the iPhone and AT&T. You can have it for cost of shipping if you want but the catch is I'm out of town till the 6th.

Thanks for the offer, but it needs to be Verizon compatible.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K0Hl1p4nHxwrION161AYItlzkrPuLKgdLKltdMFS0rchpSuBQVN0VMnhnCIb2J6K