1 2 3
trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
5/13/14 4:07 p.m.

I read on the Nelson ledges Facebook that they are closing, can anybody confirm?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Reader
5/13/14 5:15 p.m.

Haven't they been closing for 20 years?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/13/14 5:39 p.m.

In the current GRM, I think there is a blurb about it in the story highlighting favorite tracks.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
5/13/14 6:26 p.m.

I just got off the Nelson website and there is a posting about the supposed closing. It's not true!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/13/14 8:36 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In the current GRM, I think there is a blurb about it in the story highlighting favorite tracks.

I hope that GRM, page 65 was not the source of the confusion for closing.
If you have poor reading comprehension (like I do) and take the quote out of context, it reads:
"It's gonna be closed in a year."

I now see that is not what the entire quote is trying to say.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
5/13/14 8:42 p.m.

http://www.nelsonledges.com/NNwhatsNewDetail.aspx?newsId=137

EDIT: Look at the date, then the facebook posts. Not sure what is going on.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
5/13/14 9:58 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: Haven't they been closing for 20 years?

I think you're thinking of Hyman Roth's heart attack.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
5/14/14 8:35 a.m.

I really hope not.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta New Reader
5/15/14 10:17 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

"Your father raced at Nelson Ledges, your father respected Nelson Ledges, but your father never trusted Nelson Ledges."

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/15/14 10:23 a.m.

I love that place. It's about 40 minutes from me. But man, it's like racing on a driveway. Narrow, bumpy, and the kink is a real...kink.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
5/15/14 11:10 a.m.

Really hoping to get my car there sometime. Not too far from me either.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
5/15/14 11:58 a.m.

I got my first SpecMiata win there. It holds some sentimental value to me. But it was a scary place if you went off. I went into wet grass on the outside of the carousel and almost hit the gap in the tire wall . I ended up almost rolling and stuck sideways in it instead. I have it on video somewhere I think.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
5/15/14 2:01 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I love that place. It's about 40 minutes from me. But man, it's like racing on a driveway. Narrow, bumpy, and the kink is a real...kink.

QFT. I had my career-ending bike crash there. I was determined to get through the kink WFO and when I finally did it, I managed to miss the following left. Somebody that stupid doesn't need to be racing bikes.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/15/14 2:30 p.m.

In reply to chuckles:

When doing track days, I'd work up to going through the kink flat out, do it once or twice just to prove to myself that I could, and then back off a little the rest of the day. Depending on what you are driving (or riding - are you crazy?), its an intimidating place to drive in anger.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/15/14 3:04 p.m.

My first on-track experience ever was in a car I built myself, at Nelson Ledges, at night. In Lemons traffic. Trial by fire, indeed.

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
5/15/14 5:15 p.m.

Here's the closest thing to an explanation lifted from one of Nelson Ledges' Facebook pages:

"Everyone,

I am trying to get this out before the rumor mill goes crazy. The following is my understanding on what transpired. And what may happen.

As most of you know the track surface has been in need of repairs. This past winter was brutal. During the May 3-4 Motorcycle weekend there were some damaged bikes due to loosened pieces of pavement. This MC group has been running monthly events at the track for many years. The head of the club was not satisfied with how Kerrie and Bryan addressed his concerns. (It seems there had also been some disagreements in the past).

On May 5 Todd Karom (MC guy) contacted Marv Drucker (track owner) and basically told him his club could not continue to run at the track unless some surface repairs were done. Since he felt he had gotten nowhere with current track management he also told Marv either they go or his club is gone. Marv apparently asked him if he had any ideas on who could take over. He said no. Marv asked Todd if he wanted the job and he accepted it (I am not sure if he really wants it, but he has been active at the track since that 80's and doesn't want to see it closed).

On May 6 Kerrie informed me of the change in management. She was not happy and I was in shock.

I waited until May 9 to see if anything might change. It didn't. I called Todd (now the manager) and discussed the situation. He knows motorcycles but not cars. He asked Sandi and I for help on the car events.

Things are chaotic but it currently looks as if 2014 will proceed as planned. Those of you looking at the website may have noticed the dropping of Fundays. They should be back on the schedule about the time I send this.

Regarding the track surface, Todd has a goal of making something (extent?) happen before his June motorcycle weekend.

I am trying to organize a meeting (I have Todd's approval) on either May 24 or 25 (Fundays) to discuss 2014 status as well as future years. Let me know if you want details once I have them. My idea is for an open meeting for anyone interested. I do not want it to be a "bitching" session, so don't attend if all you want to do is complain about what is now past history. Otherwise, I welcome ideas.

The biggest reason I am sending this is a request to all of you to answer any rumors in a responsible manner if you care about the future of our racetrack. Give 'change' a chance and don't ruin it with negative speculation. There are currently a lot of unknowns, but there may be a silver lining to this cloud.

I expect this email (and a couple others) to result in a deluge of emails and calls. I am leaving the country so don't expect any immediate replies. I have an all day meeting in Cleveland on Tuesday and will be in Canada from early Wednesday until very late Sunday.

Reed Kryder

ps: For many years people have wished someone would purchase the track. From what I hear, Marv may be in a selling mood. Rumor has it he has lowered his asking price. It may still be high, but who knows."

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
5/15/14 11:01 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

The memories flood back. I backed off (quit concentrating) a little early. This is a painful confession. '89, I believe it was.

A special place on a special racetrack.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
5/18/14 8:55 a.m.

I just saw this this morning: http://www.nelsonledges.com/NNwhatsNewDetail.aspx?newsId=139 MAJOR CHANGE AT NELSON Saturday, May 17, 2014 Attention

ALL EVENTS/ACTIVITY AT NELSON HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY.

IF/WHEN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE THERE WILL BE AN ANNOUNCEMENT.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/18/14 8:59 a.m.

Well berkeley.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/18/14 9:39 a.m.

Yes, Berkeley. I wish I had the funds to buy it and make into something. Seems this track has always been financially strapped. :(

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/18/14 10:03 a.m.
asoduk wrote: I just saw this this morning: http://www.nelsonledges.com/NNwhatsNewDetail.aspx?newsId=139 MAJOR CHANGE AT NELSON Saturday, May 17, 2014 Attention ALL EVENTS/ACTIVITY AT NELSON HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY. IF/WHEN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE THERE WILL BE AN ANNOUNCEMENT.

I'm sure they are just repaving the whole place for the first time since 1902 and digging new latrines.

steronz
steronz Reader
5/20/14 12:24 p.m.

I just saw this. Any update? I was planning to do both FunDays this weekend with a small crew. Is that plan now 86ed?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/25/14 1:35 p.m.

Rumor has it that there's some EPA issues at the track as well.
http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/10500-nelsons-ledges-road-course/page-2?hl=nelson

I've read that there were drinking water violations at the housing development just up the road from the track (heavy metals contamination and bacteria) - probably the same issue. http://oaspub.epa.gov/enviro/sdw_report_v2.first_table?pws_id=OH6702412&state=OH&source=&population=230&sys_num=0

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller New Reader
5/25/14 2:17 p.m.

Are all these contaminants from the commodes and poorly discarded car fluids?

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller New Reader
5/25/14 2:21 p.m.

I love this tracks' layout. I was always hoping someone would fix this track up in the way Truman did for Mid-Ohio. I'm curious what this track would sell for.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fF8u0vPV8PdtKpGZJ2QWKwOVywcWZwaiHQ15s3lyR3L02pXIwvIAOb4s7xaoivSb