1 2 3
ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/25/14 2:36 p.m.

I'm no expert, but it looks like everything but "coliform" has a "compliance achieved" notation underneath it. I have NO idea if coliform would be related to anything coming from a race track.

I have a feeling the EPA angle is more rumor than fact, and even if the owner closes it down he's still on the hook for cleanup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfund

I have a feeling that the reason the track has struggled on so far is that someone realized it would cost more to wind it down than it does to keep it running.

Maybe the track's biggest problem is that it just isn't close to a metro that could support a VIR-style rebirth. Cleveland is a dying city, Akron and Canton are jokes, and I think Pittsburgh and Columbus are just too far away. It's also always going to overshadowed by world-class Mid-Ohio less than two hour away.

It sucks because I think we're getting to a place legally and economically where there are going to be very few new track projects around here.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/25/14 3:11 p.m.
rustybugkiller wrote: Are all these contaminants from the commodes and poorly discarded car fluids?

Anything I said would be purely speculation. I'm no expert on this at all.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/25/14 3:13 p.m.

In reply to ShadowSix:

I agree in general. I think the EPA issue (if there's any substance to it) is more a roadblock for a new owner coming in. No one is going to want to have to deal with that.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
5/26/14 8:48 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Cleveland is a dying city, Akron and Canton are jokes, and I think Pittsburgh and Columbus are just too far away.

i'm not sure you've been downtown cleveland in some time, because this is a statement from the past. 10 years ago it was a dying city. now stuff is coming back, things are developing, young techie types are staying, and property values are bouncing back quite furiously in several parts of town. akron isn't a complete joke either, but canton is. youngstown is the real joke. pissburgh isn't too far away but they can't figure out how to get out of the hole they call a city, and columbus is full of stuck up columbusites and OSU honks.

i'm sad that i never got to run nelson ledges, but at least there is always mid ohio. which is way farther north than mid.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
5/26/14 9:34 a.m.

Dam I hope this track comes back. We had some great times there. There was something special about that place.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
5/26/14 9:48 a.m.

How many GRMers would it take to buy the track?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
5/26/14 9:52 a.m.

IIRC, this is the track map that came w/ your registration.

Actually not a bad track layout at all.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller New Reader
5/26/14 10:47 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg: ok I'll start...me

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
5/26/14 10:52 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Actually not a bad track layout at all.

They put a couple left turns in there so that they could fit more long righthand sweepers.

My first day there, also my first experience on R-compound tires, I broke my doorpanel from resting against it.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
5/26/14 11:16 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
fasted58 wrote: Actually not a bad track layout at all.
They put a couple left turns in there so that they could fit more long righthand sweepers.

NL was home track when I raced the late 80's - mid 90's. Loved it despite the track surface, I thought it flowed pretty well. My favorite sections were Oak Tree, the Carousel and out onto that long straight w/ 12 & 13 at the end. Usually drove straight through the kink in a D/SR, traffic permitting.

Like Will Nonamaker said in the June '14 GRM issue the track has rhythm. "That last turn is really tight- it's like a closer to the lap that clears your mind for the next one".

Hal
Hal SuperDork
5/26/14 6:34 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: Like Will Nonamaker said in the June '14 GRM issue the track has rhythm. "That last turn is really tight- it's like a closer to the lap that clears your mind for the next one".

Except when you carry too much speed into 13 and end up looping it and going into pit-in backwards. Like my brother did in 1969 in Dad's Mustang.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
5/26/14 8:15 p.m.

One thing about Nelson is how FAST it is. It's a 2 mile track. SM record is almost 95 mph. I've heard it claimed to be the fastest 2 mile road course in the US.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
5/26/14 10:55 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: One thing about Nelson is how FAST it is. It's a 2 mile track. SM record is almost 95 mph. I've heard it claimed to be the fastest 2 mile road course in the US.

Maintenance throttle for all of those sweepers in my RX-7 was "bolt it down"! Only had to lift a wee bit for the Kink and that only because if you didn't, the braking zone was REALLY short. Then left, segueing into a really late apex in the last righthander for the maximum exit speed, and bolt the throttle down again for another minute long dyno pull...

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
5/28/14 12:49 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: One thing about Nelson is how FAST it is. It's a 2 mile track. SM record is almost 95 mph. I've heard it claimed to be the fastest 2 mile road course in the US.

The fastest and the roughest, who knows how much faster it could be. This is my home track, and I hated it at first but grew to love it. The bad rap it has gotten never helped it of course. Soon, if someone doesn't trap the beavers, the carousel/back straight will be under water.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/28/14 6:59 p.m.

came across this:

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Nelson Ledges will be open for the Westward Ho Regional Race on June 21 and 22. Track problems have been resolved. Registration is open at motorsportreg and entry forms and supps can be found at flr-scca.com. or call me. Wilma Registrar

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/28/14 7:45 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Good news indeed.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/29/14 4:20 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Any more on this? I really want this to be true. Bad.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/29/14 6:15 p.m.

there's a long thread on another forum about this … and the post I made is the last that's been left there …

I'll see if I can find more info

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/29/14 6:28 p.m.

as shown in my post … there is this flr-scca.com.

and this http://flr-scca.com/race/2014/

and this http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/westward-ho-nelson-ledges-scca-finger-lakes-737523#.U4fC4hafdFI

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
6/2/14 9:41 a.m.

http://www.mvrscca.org/nelsonupdate.pdf

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
6/23/14 6:52 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: I read on the Nelson ledges Facebook that they are closing, can anybody confirm?

to bring this back from the dead …

they aren't closing but here is a first hand report from this past weekend … doesn't look good

The good news is that there has not been a huge degradation in physical structures and Nelson could survive.

The bad news is that we didn't realize how good we had it. And I'm not joking.

Scott and I stopped off at the Winking Lizard in Bedford Falls on the way up. We get a panicked phone call that only a portion of the paddock is mowed and only about 10 feet around the track. Otherwise the grass is 4 feet high. Our normal paddock space is completely unusable unless someone packed a bush hog. He's worried we won't be able to race because the corner workers won't be able to see the cars on track, let along if they get off track.

And yes, the grass was literally 3.5 feet high thru most of the paddock. only the space nearest the showers was mowed. and they left behind 3.5 feet of clippings. We were able to find space for our group of 8, but we had to rake the grass into giant piles. It was a zoo.

And yes, other than the 15 feet around the track that was mowed, the grass was 3.5 feet high. In the first session a car slid off in the rain at 1 and the first time around I couldn't see what the yellow was for. And I'm in a civic. Imagine a FV or SRF.

Friday night and Saturday morning rained, which didn't help. Activity got started on time. First session in the rain. At the impound all meeting we got 3 pieces of instructions: First, if you go off and you can't see a corner station, they might not be able to see you, if you are in a safe spot get out (mental note: no thank you). Second, watch for grass fires when the grass dries out. Third, check each other for ticks.

The track itself is in slightly worse shape than last year, but not much (faint praise, I know). They put in a bunch of small patches, they didn't "pave" any sections. The figure I hear quoted is 1000ft of track. But we think it's more likely they bought 1000 sqft of pavement or some other sqft number. Overall the patches were fine, I was afraid they would tear up the moment a car hit them in anger, but they held up fine. So overall the pavement is bad, but fine to race on. Over the weekend more piece came up, but nothing big enough to really cause us an issue. Knock on wood.

There was a nasty FV rollover incident on Saturday, no one hurt, but they went from 8 FV to 3 and one of those was involved in the incident! Big delay for cleanup and the 1 hour enduro rescheduled for Sun morning.

The conditions of the bathrooms started off ok, if not great. Toilets were clean-ish, they even fixed the third shower that has been broken for the 7 years I've been going. And the one toilet that hasn't worked in 4 years. At some point Saturday someone had some kind of issue and got E36 M3 on the seat in my favorite stall. What is wrong with people, who E36 M3s on a toilet seat and leaves it there? And of course the one "fixed" toilet is already re-broken. I guess that explains why it has been marked out of order for 4 years.

It gets worse. Late Saturday night Scott reports no water in the bathrooms. Nice. I get lucky and pick a toilet that hadn't been flushed yet. But it was probably the last of them. Sunday morning there is still no water so I use the one stall that is a pit toilet. I hear retching as people open stalls to other doors and discover leftovers. While I'm in there I hear water running. Not sure what happened, but water is on. A couple of guys (workers?) are staring at the sink where the tap is on. Between drags on his cigarette one says "I hope that wasn't running all night". I say, the water's been off all night. I leave off the implied "you fricking idiot". they mumble something about maybe that was the problem but I'm thinking "the reason the tap was left on was because there was no water and the person had no clue which was off and which was on". But great, someone flipped a breaker on the water pump and we're good to go. So to speak. For now.

With about 5 minutes left in the enduro a T-4 Cobalt goes off at the kink, goes across track and rolls about 3 times, driver apparently ok, but another delay. One guy wants to blame the long grass for flipping the car, but I saw the skid marks and it looked to me like it just caught the tires in the mud in a small rut/berm (maybe 5 inches high) and over she went.

Finally we get to grid for Sunday qualifying and I hear "blah blah no water in the restrooms. please don't flush the toilets". Just to make sure everyone is irritated, they repeat this 8-10 times. Mentally I'm correcting the announcement from "don't flush the toilets" to "don't E36 M3 in the toilets". I guess that sounded even nastier. but if you don't warn people to use the outhouses, then things are going to get nasty. Which they do, not surprisingly. apparently the problem is in something called an expansion tank on the well and it never did get fixed. Oh, and the porta-johns by grid, the bridge and oak tree are gone so that leaves the one pit stall in the showers and the one outhouse by the crossover.

Apparently a lot of the equipment was 'owned' by the former mgt. The tractor for mowing. The corner communication equipment. Etc etc etc. So things are pretty rudimentary. Which is saying something for Nelson.

The new mgt might have their hearts in the right place, but they clearly have no idea how much work they are in for. They can't even mow the paddock except the part of the paddock the bikes use, which looked like a golf course in comparison to the hay field we were in. And they are going to have to learn about facility maintenance, but they better learn it damn fast. Good intentions only go so far, I think they have AT BEST, one more event to at least get thing back to the bare minimum level we're used to.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
6/23/14 7:43 p.m.

You know, I wondered what they did with the pavement they tore out of I-71 over the winter...

Ask any rallycrosser. Tall grass won't make you flip. That implies that it has grip.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
6/24/14 5:57 a.m.

I think that the Cobalt driver was just looking for something to blame other than himself …

on of the regular complaints about Nelson Ledges is the loose (not banded) tire walls and the berms …. slopes that cause some offs to clear the tires and/or flip ….

looks like they have their work cut out for themselves … especially the Jefferson course where the instructor death occurred

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/24/14 6:30 a.m.
wbjones wrote: looks like they have their work cut out for themselves … especially the Jefferson course where the instructor death occurred

The Nelson Ledges management team already has enough to tackle before fixing issues at Summit Point...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/24/14 8:12 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

I wonder what sort of "management" does not have the resources to rent a SCAG to mow the grass?

Even our local little league team can manage that one by passing a hat around.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8dVZmMdN01O3neqUiHIErgRnpujs8wpFltutQTu6OX5Qlb30yaW1yolZbKHeyeOn