David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/20/19 8:36 a.m.

It's so cute. 

And a picture shot with it here in my home office (f 2.8, 1/20, 4000 ISO):

SEADave
SEADave Dork
12/20/19 10:09 a.m.

24mm is a great walking-around lens (assuming FF).   Nice!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
12/20/19 10:12 a.m.

In reply to SEADave :

it's an EF-S lens, so no?

David S. Wallens
12/20/19 10:25 a.m.

Yes to EF-S. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/20/19 10:29 a.m.

That is often referred to as a pancake lens, I am assuming because it is so tasty. Or it smells like maple syrup. Or it's Canadian? I'm not really sure.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/20/19 11:12 a.m.

That's an awesome focal length on aps-c. I have long held that Pentax should have made the DA 21 a 24 or 25 instead and made it at least f2.8 or preferably a little faster. 

I wonder how much of a full frame image circle that lens covers. Maybe in a square crop mode it might provide a pretty good percentage. 

David S. Wallens
12/20/19 11:29 a.m.

A friend gave me two initial reasons for checking it out.

I normally use a 17-40mm f4.0 L. He said shedding the battery grip and running the little pancake lens would yield a great walking-around setup.

And should that 17-40mm ever act up--although it hasn't so far after all these years and photos--this provides a backup. It's small and light, so it's no big deal to toss into the camera bag. 

Oh, a third reason: Price was like $130.

I guess a fourth would be that the 2.8 can totally blow out the background. I hope to get some camera time this weekend. Right now, though, gotta keep writing.

David S. Wallens
12/20/19 11:30 a.m.

Also, it was purchased locally. 

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
12/20/19 2:27 p.m.

Nice little addition to the camera bag there.  I got back into photography a few years ago and as the shutter count has gone up I value size, weight, and ergonomics more.  I wish Nikon had a good autofocus pancake, but in reality the 24mm 2.8D is still pretty small.  Unfortunately being an older generation lens it needs to be mated to a body that has it's own autofocus motor, ruling out the super light and compact D3XXX and D5XXX series.  Whatever.  First world problems.  

David S. Wallens
12/21/19 9:05 a.m.

Today, assuming things go as plan, I'm going to visit our local used/vintage camera shop. (Yes, we actually have one here in Daytona.) 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/21/19 9:57 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This is knowledge that is dangerous to my wallet, especially as we're likely to be in town for the Daytona 500. 

lewbud
lewbud HalfDork
12/22/19 6:42 p.m.

If by hobbies they mean models, I would be sooooo broke if I lived nearby.

David S. Wallens
12/22/19 7:11 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

This is knowledge that is dangerous to my wallet, especially as we're likely to be in town for the Daytona 500. 

Two links for you:

Colonial Photo & Hobby in Orlando

Clem's Classic Cameras in Daytona Beach

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/22/19 9:16 p.m.

evil people.. just ordered up a nice Nikkor for my D5300 1:1.8

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
12/22/19 9:31 p.m.

mad_machine, which lens, the 50mm f1.8?  You've not shared the focal length.

grover
grover HalfDork
12/22/19 10:06 p.m.

The 28 1.8 is also very excellent for that sensor. I'd argue it's the best lens canon made for that sensor but they Stopped making it I believe (I'm no longer a canon shooter). Glad you found a lens you like! 
we still have some canon lenses around here collecting dust and I've been thinking about buying another 50 1.2 to use with my eos 3 again. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
12/25/19 6:12 a.m.

So, I'm on a slow-ish road to replacing my canon setup... and happened to pick up a 'similar' walking around lens.  I decided to try out the Korean offerings... hopefully they'll help me capture bobzilla's Tiburon at OneLap next year.

also, looking forward to seeing David's updates on the 24mm in the future.

David S. Wallens
12/25/19 8:54 a.m.

I took it out the other night. These were shot around 11 p.m. ISO was 16,000 so, yeah, a bit grainy. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/25/19 7:48 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

yes, the 50mm. I hope to get it by next week, depends on when B&H ships it. I thought of getting the 1:1.4, but I cannot justify that for twice the price

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
12/25/19 10:32 p.m.

I added a 50 mm lens first then a 24 mm next. I keep the 24 on all the time because it is great for quick shots and produces great images. But my camera bag isn't lighter because I carry every lens I own "just in case." I have never figured out what "just in case " is, but I'm ready.wink

David S. Wallens
12/26/19 8:10 a.m.
lewbud said:

If by hobbies they mean models, I would be sooooo broke if I lived nearby.

They do have some models. Sadly I got there about 12 minutes before closing, meaning I had enough time to buy the lens and check out a camera I have been eying. Then it was time to go. 

David S. Wallens
12/29/19 11:41 p.m.

So I took the A-1 to our local vintage camera shop today. Yeah, the sound I'm hearing is the dried-out mechanism. It should be cleaned, too, and the foam likely needs replacement. He doesn't do that kind of work, but he recommended a retired Canon tech. I did score a genuine Canon lens cap for a buck, too. 

Also, I got my G-III QL off the shelf. I guess that one has some battery issues. The original mercury battery is NLA, and the modern alternative doesn't last long. Still, be nice to fire off a few frames with that one, too. 

David S. Wallens
12/29/19 11:43 p.m.

And here's where I went: Clem's Classic Cameras, just across I-95 from Daytona International Speedway. 

David S. Wallens
12/29/19 11:44 p.m.

And here's the battery from the G-III.

So, how old is it?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/30/19 12:04 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And here's the battery from the G-III.

So, how old is it?

I think this page may contain the info you need to properly dispose of an old battery that contains mercury.  I'd hold it until you have some fluorescent light builbs to drop off with it, so you don't have to make a separate trip.

Volusia County Household hazardous waste

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TTAa73g6DTaFywndTcDHjHzCgb5gBAtNWUoa3uiJwlgxWydbQ47RI4y5KYX3pdXB