Obligatory yoga pants meme:

chada75
chada75 New Reader
12/4/14 5:19 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2: OH MY!

chada75
chada75 New Reader
12/4/14 5:22 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Never. EVER wear these outside the house. PERIOD !! I don't car if you look like the first girl posted or this one, never. Not clothes. Call me old, stupid or just old, but I still stand to meet women, take my hat off indoors and say ma'am. One little social glitch begets another, next thing you know there's rioting in the streets.

You got take the bad with the good. A customer I know works as a Male Yoga teacher. He says that working with the sexy ladies makes up working with the guys.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
12/4/14 6:52 a.m.

It's a free country. People can dress how they want.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
12/4/14 10:27 a.m.
Wally wrote: No grown man should be seen in public in sweatpants.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/4/14 10:35 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote: It's a free country. People can dress how they want.

People are also free to ridicule them for their absurd life choices.

In all honesty, a sense of shame, about a lot of things, is very useful, society wise. This is something that might actually have changed in modern times (there are many things people point to as how "bad things are these days" and yet are things that have been going on for a LONG time). Of course, maybe it's just easier to see.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/14 11:40 a.m.

Every woman is somebody's daughter. I get that. The idiot that hit my car, the stripper giving me a lap dance, the person cleaning my teeth... all somebody's daughter. So?

Putting on clothing that shows off your goodies and getting mad that people are looking makes you an shiny happy person.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/4/14 3:02 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

My opinion is almost always right. People just don't always realize it at first.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
12/4/14 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

You'll never see me wearing sweat pants in public.

You know, because of the bushes...

danvan
danvan New Reader
12/4/14 9:33 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

son of a bitch that's going to be stuck in my head while trying to sleep tonight

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/5/14 6:15 a.m.

sweet dreams

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
12/5/14 10:31 a.m.

I approve of people having the choice to wear what they want in public.

As a double positive if their fashion choice pisses off certain religions and their minions around the world, so much the better.

I've been to places where the burka is the only approved garb for women and they are sad, miserable places.

That all said, this thread needs more pics!!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/5/14 10:37 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: jeggings anyone...... jeans and leggings in one....

Saw an ad for this on TV. It compares these things to regular yoga pants and jeans, showing a woman wearing some skinny torn jeans - the woman wearing those may have the best legs I've ever seen

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
12/5/14 4:11 p.m.

My dad taught me a phrase once, "Glance, but don't gawk".

Having said that, Mrs. Dustoff and I are expecting a little girl in about 2 months (we have two boys at this point). As a father, I'm a firm believer in teaching my children correct principles (in this case modesty in dress; being aware of social norms and how others may think/act based on your behavior; etc), then allowing them to govern themselves. Course corrections along the way may be necessary, but preaching at them and trying to ram my beliefs down their throats never seems to work out.

I don't personally think girls should be walking around in yoga pants all of the time, and I'll try to guide my daughter in that direction (and teach my boys not to be lecherous), but at the end of the day, she gets to make the call for herself.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
12/6/14 12:47 a.m.

I constrain my comments to the OPs focus of minors dressing this way. I agree that it is inappropriate. Adults can do what they want but I am disgusted with kids and teenagers with the sheer clothes.

I have two daughters (one is really young) but the oldest get too many comments even with my Wife and I standing next. So I know she gets hasseled more when alone. We know the peer pressure is high based on the tube dresses and bikini jean shorts her classmates wear. I was confused at why a high school freshman is wear a tube dress and high heels at the science fair?! Then I saw several others.

Back in 2007, I went shopping for new jeans for my then preteen. And spent three days trying to find some that weren't low rise panty showing jeans for preteen girls. Crazy enough it was the Hannah Montana name jeans that were regular rise. For a long time sexualized girl wear even toddler wear is becoming hard to avoid. Had to buy boys toddler clothes for the youngest daughter just so her midriff and legs wouldn't be cold in winter. My Wife and I both know we cannot prevent our kids from doing stupid things like wearing see through too tight clothing. So we do the best we can to build their self esteem to resist the societal peer pressure to just not care. I understood that for some time a 'try hard' was a negative trait in high school of trying to do anything like using an umbrella, wearing a coat in 20degF weather, or wearing enough clothes period. So boys show up in basketball shorts and t shirts trying hard to suppress their shivering. Dumb sigh...

We try to teach them to be covered if not to prevent unwanted looks then to be warm. Heck to have pockets! Dress so that the most interesting part of her is what she says and does. Not her visible bits.

My view is I want my oldest to meet some man to love her for more than just the body.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
12/6/14 12:52 a.m.

As to the aside topic.

Sexual assault on women is a problem for us to teach boys and men about.

Teach Don't Rape/Assault/etc

Not how not to get raped.

Of course until we get to that rational state of being the best I can do is teach my daughters how to minimize risk. You know in some places this is why the full body covering of women was made common. You can lust for what you can't see. An idea that has been twisted over time because again, forgot to teach boys not to list in the first place. Sigh.....

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/6/14 12:35 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I think this thread has got a bit off subject. We are talking about yoga pants. Not jeans. See how inappropriate these are? I suggest we photograph all offenders and post them here to publicly shame them for this transgression. Gifs would also be fine.

I'm with GPS on this one.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/6/14 5:47 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I think this thread has got a bit off subject. We are talking about yoga pants. Not jeans. See how inappropriate these are? I suggest we photograph all offenders and post them here to publicly shame them for this transgression. Gifs would also be fine.

For what it is worth.. these girls are not wearing leggings.. they are wearing tights. They go all the way from waist to toes, so those are supposed to go -under- clothes.. pants, skirt, or a dress.. not worn on their own

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/6/14 6:10 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
For what it is worth.. these girls are not wearing leggings.. they are wearing tights. They go all the way from waist to toes, so those are supposed to go -under- clothes.. pants, skirt, or a dress.. not worn on their own

Oh. Well. In that case, I'm offended.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/6/14 6:58 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:

who makes the rules ?

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
12/6/18 4:08 a.m.
Brueggei77 said:

The leggings are my favorite thing in the fitness gear. They are so flexible, soft and super stylish as well. The mesh leggings that I wear during the gym sessions are in the aboriginal print and are having super cute color combination. I totally love the deals on these leggings from an online store.

I bet thin material stretched tautly around a gently curved frame could make a nice canoe.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/6/18 7:30 a.m.

I miss Lesley. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/6/18 9:22 a.m.

Yeah, but I'm still here devil

stroker
stroker UltraDork
12/6/18 9:23 a.m.

This fashion trend appears to have run its course....

Dammit.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bws4gUFWYgltiBv0sjzSPIWjA7FwEyukwZwJy9R5FfF70s8BS0TFL8pY1tYFeVNK