1 2 3
mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
12/2/14 12:58 p.m.

OK, so I've noticed that women, or I should say girls, have taken to wearing leggings basically as pants, meaning this:

and expressly not this:

I think it is wildly inappropriate, and I'm shocked these girls, who are often high school age, have parents that let them out of the house. Any thoughts? Seems like this started being an OK thing within the last year or so. I told SWMBO that I was going to start wearing them, a la Renaissance style...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/2/14 12:59 p.m.

As a young guy I'm probably too biased to give a fair answer

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/2/14 1:01 p.m.

shoot … as an old guy, I have to agree with Gameboy

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/2/14 1:03 p.m.

I remember the Spandex craze of the mid-late 80s. Nothing new here.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/2/14 1:03 p.m.

ok w/ me

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/2/14 1:06 p.m.

You want a grunge comeback, don't you?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/2/14 1:08 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I remember the Spandex craze of the mid-late 80s. Nothing new here.

+1

(wbjones too)

I for one welcome the return of tight jeans... although not on men (although I'll admit my guilt as an 80's metal-head).

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/2/14 1:10 p.m.

I wear them to work out... and on overseas flights.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
12/2/14 1:16 p.m.

I'm curious how you feel it is inappropriate?

Everything is covered and it isn't any different than spandex shorts or tight jeans, etc. IMO.

Now, there are women who will purposely choose sizes that are too small for their frames and the required stretching makes them fairly see through, but that still isn't any worse than many bikni's.

Its a human body, there's nothing wrong with it and if someone wants to show it off, go for it (good, bad, ugly, etc.).

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/2/14 1:18 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: You want a grunge comeback, don't you?

and I'm searching waif images now... tyvm

wae
wae HalfDork
12/2/14 1:19 p.m.

I am pro. The inventor of the yoga pant deserves to have their face on our money or carved into a cliff side somewhere or something.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
12/2/14 1:22 p.m.

I think they just call them yoga pants now. I completely condone women wearing them out in public. Before you had to stare while in the gym and possibly be outed as a creeper. Now I can just put on my sunglasses and drool outdoors.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
12/2/14 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Cone_Junkie:

You can also run away from those who shouldn't be wearing them......without being labeled an shiny happy person.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
12/2/14 1:27 p.m.

Apparently I am a big fan of lots of things that are "wildly inappropriate." Shrug.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/2/14 1:36 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: OK, so I've noticed that women, or I should say girls, have taken to wearing leggings basically as pants, meaning this: I think it is wildly inappropriate, and I'm shocked these girls, who are often high school age...

Oh, if only this were true! Around here (yes, I do live on the WRONG side of town) it's grossly overweight middle-aged women. Aieeee! My eyes!

AugustusGloop
AugustusGloop New Reader
12/2/14 1:37 p.m.

http://info.satinstitches.com/Portals/127830/images/camel%20feet.jpg

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
12/2/14 1:49 p.m.

I find them inappropriate and immodest as outerwear, and like the OP I am suprised to see parents okay with their school-age daughters wearing them. Would you let your teen out of the house wearing nothing but body paint? Because that's pretty much the same effect.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/2/14 2:05 p.m.
nderwater wrote: I find them inappropriate and immodest as outerwear, and like the OP I am suprised to see parents okay with their school-age daughters wearing them. Would you let your teen out of the house wearing nothing but body paint? Because that's pretty much the same effect.

Well, yeah, agreed on that front. Hell, try shopping for a halloween costume for a THREE YEAR OLD that's not effectively a "whore" costume.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/2/14 2:07 p.m.

I enjoy seeing them. If I have daughters, they won't wear them while they live under my roof. My fiance has the same opinion.

The exception is if they are worn with a short dress or similar. I think that is a goofy look, but not inappropriate.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/2/14 2:07 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Apparently I am a big fan of lots of things that are "wildly inappropriate." Shrug.

+1

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
12/2/14 2:08 p.m.

My 17yo daughter wears them. I don't. You should all be happy about that last part.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher

I travel a lot. Yoga pants have become extremely popular with ladies when traveling. Like spandex they can look very good......or very very bad. Fortunately they seem to be most popular with college-age girls--- which is usually a good thing.

IMHO -- Yoga pants are not appropriate for underage girls---- they are way too revealing and tight-fitting. You may disagree, and if you want older men checking out your 10 year old--- go ahead and let them wear them. Make no mistake though----- you'll have fully-grown men looking at your kid in a very adult way.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
mattmacklind wrote: .

The boots are the only things that bother me here. Of course I came of age in the 80's when every girl wore some version of these pants. Stirrup, Leggings whatever.

Now why anyone would want to have Ookla the Mok feet is just beyond me

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/2/14 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Ditchdigger:

Apparently, they are comfy.

When I first saw Uggs, I was reminded of a comic book drawing style in the early 90's where the characters were drawn with huge feet that looked like Uggs.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
12/2/14 2:22 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Would you let your teen out of the house wearing nothing but body paint? Because that's pretty much the same effect.

There are people doing that too now..... http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/model-strolls-manhattan-wearing-paint-pants-article-1.2011042

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lxOfCPwk1DQ3nWp7iS5GiX1DcCNR39toqemZU6rPMvHTNN35Lwr8PET7d0buZOPP