1 2
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/1/18 7:00 a.m.

Many here remember the bike Tunakid and I built years ago. It's gone through his brother, his other brother and now it's his sisters.

It's time for a genuine mountain bike, but maybe $150 worth. Hardtail, 24" or 26" wheel. He's 4'8" and his inseam is 26" if I recall correctly. He rides my 26" 17.5" Specialized Hardrock with no issue.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/d/trek-mountain-bike-sr-suntour/6726828423.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/d/specialized-hotrock-a1-24/6701718221.html

https://columbia.craigslist.org/bik/d/giant-boulder-mountain-bike/6716573017.html

What else say the hive?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/1/18 7:22 a.m.

I have an aluminum frame version of the Giant Boulder, and it still feels as heavy as, well, a giant boulder. One with a steel frame is going to have some real heft to it, while the other two are aluminum. Of those, I'd probably go for the Trek, but mostly because I don't like twist style shifters.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/1/18 7:36 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

I so hate twist style shifters. The worst shifter ever invented. I'd rather the old-school lever-mounted-to-the-tube style.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
11/1/18 8:21 a.m.

I'd look for a bike he can grow into, framewise. 26" wheels definitely. Twist shifters are the devil. Personally, I prefer steel frames, but finding a good one means looking at older bikes, which in turn probably means replacing components. Aluminum is easier to make light bikes out of, but the vibration it transmits is unpleasant at speed (I was reminded of this yesterday test-riding the Trek 7.3 FX I grabbed from the dump last month).

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/1/18 8:21 a.m.

I like the trek myself,  but the 24 tire limits options.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/1/18 8:47 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

LOL at "heavy as a giant boulder"

How about this?

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/bik/d/scott-aspect-60/6734100768.html

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
11/1/18 8:53 a.m.

The small frame 26" Spec Hardrock is good for kids transitioning out of 20" with room to grow.  That's what my son has (he's 10) and it's 'big' but usable.   The low stepover height is perfect.  We got ours for $100 on a local FB MTB page.  

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
11/1/18 9:07 a.m.

Geometry is going to be a compromise with a growing kid no matter how hard you try to get it right.  That said, I'd be looking for lightweight and in budget.  Also, I'll be the dissenter... grip shift is irritating on rocky trails while trying to horse the bike around, but it kicks ass when it's so cold outside that your thumb won't shift a regular lever anymore.  It also tends to be lighter and more forgiving to tuning issues.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/1/18 10:53 a.m.

I don't love twist shifters but good ones are not bad at all.

I'd skip the Giant. Rusty af cassette, old school quill stem, suspension fork that may not be in good shape anymore. I am betting it needs more work then you would want.

The Hotrock looks alright (although I have to question anything sold as a mtb with a kickstand).

The Trek looks sketchy as hell. Why are there that many spacers under the stem? Check for cracks around the head tube on that one if you go look at it. And if you buy cut the steerer tube down!

The Scott would be my choice.

IMO if they are going to do any actual MTB riding, I'd want disc brakes.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/1/18 12:08 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I've done tons of trail riding without the discs, so I'm not mandating that.

Thanks for the tips on the rest. I hadn't seen any of that in the pics.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/1/18 12:21 p.m.

Another place to watch for bikes. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/1/18 12:47 p.m.

Im a huge specialized fan for utility type mountain bikes.  I find that they just work and work and work.  No issues..   Though my latest buy was a super sweet giant 20" mtn bike for my 7 year old. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/1/18 1:46 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Hey that place is neat. This is high but I bet negotiable, thoughts? I didn't want a full suspension bike but this seems to be a good one.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/969332/?directtofirstphoto

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
11/1/18 2:10 p.m.
Per Schroeder said:

The small frame 26" Spec Hardrock is good for kids transitioning out of 20" with room to grow.  That's what my son has (he's 10) and it's 'big' but usable.   The low stepover height is perfect.  We got ours for $100 on a local FB MTB page.  

I was shocked when I saw that this is dated today and from Per.

Haven't seen you around in a while, hope life is grand :)

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/2/18 7:23 a.m.

If I bought something which needed everything, how much would I spend for shifters, derailleurs, fork, wheels, etc?

https://greenville.craigslist.org/bik/d/gary-fisher-bike/6731974560.html

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/2/18 7:30 a.m.
XLR99
XLR99 Dork
11/2/18 7:52 a.m.

That StumpJumper looks like it has good quality components on it; I'm thinking the frame will be too big for your son in the short term though.  When my son was that age, I discovered that it's tough to find used small MTB frames. 

I do have a small Raleigh frame my son rode from 9-12y/o or so; it's bare aluminum, cosmetically challenged, and has a LOT of trail miles on it, but will fit him better in the short term; you can strip all the components off that Stumpy and build it up for him til he outgrows it. 

PM me your address and I'll get it boxed up for you. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
11/2/18 7:55 a.m.

That Stumpjumper is the most promising one to my eyes. It's really hard to build up a frame without spending considerably more than you would for a complete bike unless you have lots of parts lying around, even for a SS; once you add in shifters and derailleurs it's nearly impossible unless you buy the cheapest junk you can find.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/2/18 8:03 a.m.
tuna55 said:

If I bought something which needed everything, how much would I spend for shifters, derailleurs, fork, wheels, etc?

https://greenville.craigslist.org/bik/d/gary-fisher-bike/6731974560.html

A lot more then you are budgeting honestly. I just rebuilt a free bike as a cruiser into a single speed for my wife. That included new brake lines ($10), new chain ($11), used single speed crank ($28), a new single speed freewheel ($20), seat ($20), handlebar grips ($8), single speed tensioner ($20), new tires ($40). new tubes ($12), new rim tape ($2), used stem ($10) and new handlebar ($12) so almost $193 and most of that stuff is going to be cheaper then the parts you would need.

I still think the Scott is best looking choice IMO.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/2/18 8:14 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

The Scott frame is pretty big, 18.5".

He's riding my Specialized Hardrock (circa 2002ish aluminum frame hardtail) OK, and I think it's a 17" frame. I wouldn't want to go bigger than that.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/2/18 8:14 a.m.

In reply to XLR99 :

Dude that's a huge offer. I'll let you know if I end up getting something which can work that way.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/2/18 8:22 a.m.

Your thread inspired me. I stopped by my local bike shop and picked up a used haro z16 for my little guy for xmas.  He's gonna freak out. 

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
11/2/18 8:52 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
Per Schroeder said:

I was shocked when I saw that this is dated today and from Per.

Haven't seen you around in a while, hope life is grand :)

Thanks--I pop in here and there if there's a thread that interests me.  It is grand--spending a lot more time working on foot power rather than horsepower.  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/2/18 9:11 a.m.

Does the adoption of yet another project signal an improvement in your energy levels?

Pete

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/2/18 9:19 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

No.

Although I also have gone the entire week with very little sleep. Actually, I have data:

Sat oct 27: 7:02

Sun Oct 28 4:34

Mon Oct 29 6:16

Tues Oct 30 4:50

Wed Nov 1 5:43

Thurs Nov 2 5:00

So who really knows?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7qlB9Usb4CnjMahgg9KVYnz7Hmmy3Af2Rexu9sUhsvZ0pnIPFdp8VY2J6VZul7Nf