1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/4/19 5:07 p.m.

Don't know about you all, but I loved it.  It really had it all, Brady jokes, Barry Sanders, Mike Singletary's crazy eyes, and so much more.  Best one of the night, IMO.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl8ooTIMk2w

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/4/19 6:12 p.m.
kazoospec said:

Don't know about you all, but I loved it.  It really had it all, Brady jokes, Barry Sanders, Mike Singletary's crazy eyes, and so much more.  Best one of the night, IMO.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl8ooTIMk2w

That commercial had more action than the entire game. It was the highlight of the night for me.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
2/4/19 7:01 p.m.

Funny that the NFL feels like it has to advertise itself during it's own largest event, and then ends up making the best commercial.

Which ends up being the most entertaining part of the night.

Really I'm just glad we are past all the stupid advertisements for the cable channel shows.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/4/19 7:15 p.m.

It has my new favorite NFL player Baker Mayfield in it, so awesome.

but berkeley franco harris and the steelers, that ball hit the ground

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
2/4/19 9:04 p.m.

No more corn syrup for me! I drink local micro brews anyway.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/4/19 10:06 p.m.

I hope someone does a proper comparison between the commercial and the actual game. I'm pretty sure there were more completions in the commercial. There may have also been more yards rushed.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
2/5/19 5:44 a.m.
vwcorvette said:

Corn syrup is so terrible that Budweiser only uses it in 20 of their other beers... Bud Ice, Busch, Busch Ice, Busch Light, King Cobra, Natural Ice, Natty Daddy, Natural Light, all the "Ritas" etc. Kinda hope Coors does an ad against rice next. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/5/19 7:15 a.m.
lnlogauge said:
vwcorvette said:

Corn syrup is so terrible that Budweiser only uses it in 20 of their other beers... Bud Ice, Busch, Busch Ice, Busch Light, King Cobra, Natural Ice, Natty Daddy, Natural Light, all the "Ritas" etc. Kinda hope Coors does an ad against rice next. 

To be fair, that list does get the point across that corn syrup doesn't belong in good beer. cheeky

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
2/5/19 8:15 a.m.
vwcorvette said:

Corn syrup or not, Bud Light still tastes like crap. And I'm no beer snob, I like Miller Lite just fine.

Kudos on that Game of Thrones crossover commercial, though. That was pretty epic.

jharry3
jharry3 Reader
2/5/19 8:29 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
vwcorvette said:

Corn syrup or not, Bud Light still tastes like crap. And I'm no beer snob, I like Miller Lite just fine.

Kudos on that Game of Thrones crossover commercial, though. That was pretty epic.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.    And besides, if you can see through it, its not worth drinking.  Just like good coffee.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/5/19 10:42 a.m.

I heard a NPR piece about this last night - some micro-brewers use corn syrup as well.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
2/5/19 12:30 p.m.

It's a sugar. Yeast doesn't care about the source of the sugar. It eats, and makes alcohol. 

That's why it's silly to make an argument about it being bad beer. You can make a fantastic beer with rice, or corn syrup. Bud just chooses not to. 

Also silly to judge a beer by it's color. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/5/19 1:50 p.m.

If a football game was that fun to watch I would probably watch more of them. 

But they aren't...

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
2/5/19 3:39 p.m.

Beer sucks...all of it.  Nasty, nasty crap.

I loved the NFL commercial, it was hysterical.  Shame the actual game was infinitely less entertaining.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/5/19 4:27 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

If a football game was that fun to watch I would probably watch more of them. 

But they aren't...

I agree. I cannot figure out for the life of me why it is the most popular sport. Hockey, baseball, basketball, car racing (including Nascar), tennis... literally any of them are more enjoyable. 

Of course my brother played college football and coached HS, my BIL played D1 college football, and my FIL is in his junior college HOF for his college football career. So I can't avoid it no matter how hard I try.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/5/19 4:31 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

It's a sugar. Yeast doesn't care about the source of the sugar. It eats, and makes alcohol. 

That's why it's silly to make an argument about it being bad beer. You can make a fantastic beer with rice, or corn syrup. Bud just chooses not to. 

I will avoid Miller Lite and Coors Lite thanks to that commercial. I avoided them already, the same as I do Bud Lite, but the body does not metabolize a HFCS calorie the same as it does a "normal" calorie. I don't know what residuals are left after the fermentation, but in any case that is enough reason to avoid them for me. 

Of course, I typically only have Guiness or Okocim in the house, so...

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
2/5/19 6:00 p.m.

Heineken !

Never

Drink and Drive

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/5/19 6:13 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Heineken tastes like Stormy Daniel's bath water.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
2/5/19 6:13 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

They use corn syrup, not high fructose corn syrup. There is no health benefit to bud. It's 100 percent marketing. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/5/19 9:04 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

In reply to GTXVette :

I’m sad that you know what heineken tastes like

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/5/19 9:14 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to mtn :

They use corn syrup, not high fructose corn syrup. There is no health benefit to bud. It's 100 percent marketing. 

Ah. My bad. 

At least they’re marketing something about how it is(n’t) made, instead of Coors, “its really cold”

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/5/19 11:36 p.m.
Patrick said:
Nick Comstock said:

In reply to GTXVette :

I’m sad that you know what heineken tastes like

There was a time in my life that I would try anything once. And one swig of that nasty was enough to scar me for life.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/6/19 9:26 a.m.
Ian F said:

I heard a NPR piece about this last night - some micro-brewers use corn syrup as well.

Admittedly, I was more about not being able to pass up a cheap shot at some cheap beers. Unless you add the corn syrup after fermentation, it's all transformed into alcohol. Adding corn syrup or other sugar is a way to add more alcohol to a beer without adding additional flavor. I'm generally not a fan of doing that to a beer that had very little flavor to begin with.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/6/19 9:33 a.m.
lnlogauge said:

The Germans disagree- their very old beer laws do now allow anything but barley, hops, water, and yeast.  No sugar.

If I want sugar turned into alcohol, I'll drink rum.  

The same laws also do not allow rice...  which turns that ad upside down.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/6/19 9:44 a.m.
alfadriver said:
lnlogauge said:

The Germans disagree- their very old beer laws do now allow anything but barley, hops, water, and yeast.  No sugar.

If I want sugar turned into alcohol, I'll drink rum.  

The same laws also do not allow rice...  which turns that ad upside down.

The laws are antiquated and don't serve a purpose anymore, other than maybe to protect the German brewing industry. To quote from Beer Baron many years ago: 

Salanis said:

German Purity Law - Quasi Rant

I think most of the German purity law is absurd. It mattered in the middle ages when people put hallucinogens in beer, but not so much anymore. At this point, I think the primary purpose is to protect the German brewing industry by making it extra difficult for breweries from other countries to export beer to Germany.

At the end of the day it is just marketing. It is less about what you can put in a beverage, and more about what can be labeled as "Bier" (and taxed at a lower rate). Some of the things it forbids are really innocuous, and some of the things it allows offend my brewer sensibilities.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xtKedHkPsQtmDCq14D4EaVdJdPg5mtvFkTDSbLRYLB2r8IrOjSCRRMe6UcbeU74H