1 2
ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/9/12 2:58 p.m.

Hey all,

I'm shopping for "no contract" cell phone plans today. I did a search on the forum and didn't come up with an up-to-date thread on this (but point me in the right direction if I just missed it).

Here's my deal. I talk less than 500 minutes per month, total. I text less than 1,000 per month. I'd love to have photo text ability, but I won't pay for it (I also WON'T pay to have it locked so I won't deal with a company that would charge for that). I don't have a need for a smart phone yet.

I see Virgin mobile has $30 "payLo" brand service that is 1,500 minutes and 1,500 texts. Not bad. I can't tell yet if it's "pre-pay" or what. I don't know if it matters. I'm worried the craigslisters who insist on photo-texting me will run up my bill (but if the provider will block photo messages, I'd be good to go).

I see a couple other offers for ~$35 per month that looks like it would suit my needs. ATT and Sprint both have suitable coverage in my area(s)...and I'm guessing most of the "no contract" carriers are just using a big-name network anyway (Virgin just tells you they use Sprint).

I'm on sprint now...no major complaints, but it's time for a new phone and I can't find an acceptable replacement and don't really want to re-up with them for 2 years.

What is your experience with the different "no contract" plans?

Should I go to Target, BestBuy, or Walmart and do this in person?

Just trying to do my typical "best bang for the buck" dealing.

Thanks!
Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/9/12 3:04 p.m.

I see Boost Mobile has "shrinking payments." I have absolutely zero worries about paying my bill on time every month...so I guess that could turn out ok.

Quite a good marketing scheme to get folks on a contract without actually being on a contract.

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
9/9/12 3:10 p.m.

I have the Virgin unlimited plan with 250 or so minutes a month. I talk less than 10-15 minutes a month so I'm not worried about that. If you get coverage it is a good deal. You pay every month to keep using it. If you don't add money to your account on time the service just stops, it starts right back up without penalties when you pay it.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
9/9/12 4:27 p.m.

+1 for Boost Mobile. I have the shrinkage plan and now pay $40 a month for unlimited talk/text/data. The coverage is by Sprint, so there are towers and signal out there. I like it a lot and will not go back to verizon.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
9/9/12 4:55 p.m.

I guess another part of the question is if you need/want a new phone also and if you need data for a smart phone. Pretty much everybody seems to be doing unlimited talk & text plans these days and restrict the amount of data that you can use without either throttling or having to pay overages.

IIRC on of the cheapest all inclusive plans (unlimited everything) is the Walmart Straighttalk tariff. T-Mobile have a couple of different ones that might work for you, too.

I'm using a 100 Minutes/unlimted text/2GB data plan on T-Mobile with my backup unlocked iPhone. Works pretty well for me and it's one of the cheaper plans out there ($30) but with hindsight I should have taken the Straighttalk plan. At the moment I can't be bothered to switch but I might consider that later on.

I vastly prefer the pre-pay plans these days as it seems to be fairly hard to get anywhere near those prices on contracts and I probably have to pay full price for the "main phone" again thanks to Verizon only allow you to grandfather in unlimited data plans if you don't buy a subsidized phone.

At that point I might get a bad case of berkeley it and go to a prepay tariff with anothe carrier.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
9/9/12 5:17 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I have the Virgin unlimited plan with 250 or so minutes a month. I talk less than 10-15 minutes a month so I'm not worried about that. If you get coverage it is a good deal. You pay every month to keep using it. If you don't add money to your account on time the service just stops, it starts right back up without penalties when you pay it.

Came here to say this. Virgin's got a monthly plan right now with the purchase of a Samsung loaded with Android. $35/mo, unlimited text, unlimited 3G data, and (IIRC) 250min talk. Bought my first "smartphone" when I went to replace my busted regular phone and noticed this plan was cheaper than my monthly plan for the old phone was.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
9/9/12 5:26 p.m.

I have a T-Mobile Pay as you go phone plan, no data or photo and no complaints. I have been using this for about six years now and love it!

It's not sexy of flashy but it works great ,and if I am short on money no big deal they (warn you first) just shut the phone off. When you add money to the account they switch the phone back on in about 15 seconds with no penalty.

Paul B

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
9/9/12 5:55 p.m.

I've had Metro PCS pay as ya go for a couple months. 25.00 a month unlimited talk/text. I think talk/text/pics is 30.00 a month.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/9/12 6:04 p.m.

i have the $50 a month prepaid plan thru T Mobile.. i get unlimited calls, unlimited text and unlimited 3G or slower data- but only 100GB a month of 4G data service... it works out perfect for me. i've got the Samsung Dart (not very) smart phone and it does everything i need it to and more..

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
9/9/12 6:10 p.m.

Net10 .. I tried Virgin , the coverage wasn't what I needed ... Net10 isn't great but it's much better than the Virgin of 10 yrs ago ( the last time I checked them out )

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
9/9/12 6:11 p.m.

Before you pull the trigger on a phone, find someone that uses that carrier near you. Check their signal quality at your house, job, other places where you spend time.

My step daughter just got a Boost phone it's a decent phone and the price gets lower, but it is almost useless inside of her apartment.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/9/12 6:42 p.m.

Clem, Here is a book that I wrote on the topic recently:
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/learn-me-cell-phone-plans/51283/page3/
While you read that I will be busy formulating a solution tailored for you.

John

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/9/12 7:12 p.m.

If you only want to text and talk, and have no use for web stuff and apps, trac is darn hard to beat on their minimalist phones. Go for a year prepaid, and it costs about $10, or did a few years ago.

I've got a Virginmobile web phone because I wanted apps and such, and have found them to be delightful to have and play with.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/9/12 7:19 p.m.

Needs:
Columbia, MO
500 talk
1000 text
little data but some pictures texts (which is data)

Virgin Mobile(VM) and Boost Mobile(BM) are both owned by Sprint. They really are just two different ways of marketing same/similar services.
Sprint contract service sends calls over both the towers they own and fill-in towers that they borrow. An example is $99 gets you pretty much unlimited talk, text, data.
On BM and VM you only get service on the towers that Sprint owns. For $55 you get unlimited talk, text and data. Since Sprint via BM/VM is taking in less money, there is no money to share or pay for the borrowed towers. The net result is that the coverage is much less. If you are in a major metro, this is no big deal, it you are in Columbia, MO ...I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND VM OR BM.
Check the coverage yourself:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage BM and VM coverage is exactly the same so just check one.

As commented in my thread given earlier, you could do Straight Talk which is a brand of TracPhone and only sold at Walmart, but... Do not choose a Android phone through StraightTalk (ST). If you do, that phone will run on Sprint's Towers (the ones they own only - no borrowing) and the coverage map will look exactly the same as BM and VM.
A non-smartphone from ST may meet your needs. If the phone model has the letter C in it then it will run off mostly Verizon (VZ) towers and if it has a G in the model it will run on T-Mobile and AT&T towers. Both should provide good coverage and meet your needs.

My recommendation for you:
Page Plus www.pagepluscellular.com
Page Plus (PP) is a prepaid reseller of VZ. All your calls will be carried over VZ and you will have the same coverage as regular VZ customers. This is a 3G service only. They do not activate 4G phones or iPhones. You'll be fine, you really do not need 4G.
PP sells a couple of handsets but most people bring their own VZ phone either bought used or gotten from a friend.
I would recommend the following rateplan:
http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plans/Talk%20n%20Text%201200.aspx
$29.99 per month for 1,200 Minutes, 3,000 Text/Picture* Messages, 100 MB Data
If you can not find a handset or want a brand new one they have these to choose from:
http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Online%20Store/Phones.aspx
Ask your friend or check CL to find a phone that specifically says VZ on the front of it.

Other VZ handset choices:
CowBoom
This Best Buy website only sells used equipment.
For $69.99 they are currently selling VZ Droid X's.
See the ratings and a 5 rating is better than a 4 rating.
Most of these only come with the phone, battery and back, battery door. They typically do not come with a charger but a Droid X is a universal micro USB charger so you may have one from your current phone and if you do not you can get one anywhere. Amazon is often cheapest for these items. The exterior will show some use but put a protective cover on it an you will not notice (also Amazon.)

Because the plan does not give much data, if using a smartphone, you can have the PP rep turn off the data function of your account and then just pull data over wifi. Or, if you are smart enough, just choke the handset down so it does not transmit data and be midful to not use apps.
If using a non-smartphone, you will be fine.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/9/12 7:29 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I'm on sprint now...no major complaints, but it's time for a new phone and I can't find an acceptable replacement and don't really want to re-up with them for 2 years.

Another thought... Pick a new to you Sprint phone off www.cowboom.com and stay with Sprint.
Your rates will stay the same and you will not be re-contracted.
You will be doing an ESN (electronic serial number) aka handset change with customer provided equipment once your cowboom shipment arrives.

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/9/12 8:27 p.m.

I use Straight Talk's $45 unlimited plan with an iPhone 3GS 32gig we bought for $150 off of Craigslist.

Uses ATT towers which works well for where we go. My wife has had them now for 2 years and really likes the service.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/10/12 9:17 a.m.

I appreciate all the input folks!

One clarification of my needs. I spend $50 a month (pre-tax) with Sprint. I'm looking to reduce that. So...I'm not looking for anything that costs more.

I've looked into several of these. What I've found regarding coverage:
PagePlus does not have coverage where I work (though it does have coverage where I sleep).
Virgin Mobile seems to have acceptable coverage for me (and I'm leaning this direction).
*I cannot figure out Metro PCS coverage map

A question about the super cheap options:
*Do Trac or Net10 have texting? They don't mention it and it is a must for me (I text way more than I talk).

Thanks again folks!
Clem

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/10/12 11:07 a.m.

Net10, I have found will cost you more in the long run.

Net10, Cricket, Straight Talk and one more are all owned by the same company, they just package different ways from different carriers

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/10/12 11:14 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I appreciate all the input folks! One clarification of my needs. I spend $50 a month (pre-tax) with Sprint. I'm looking to reduce that. So...I'm not looking for anything that costs more. Tax is a good topic on prepaid. Your current $50 is likely $6-$10 more once you add all the telecom taxes. With prepaid, those taxes are still paid to the gov't but the money comes out of what you pay, not in addition to what you pay. The only thing you may see is state sales tax added on if your state taxes that and even then it is likely to only be a couple dollars more. Said otherwise; as post-paid $50 plan can really mean you spend $60 once the bill comes. A pre-paid $50 will either just be $50 or at most $54 with sales tax. I've looked into several of these. What I've found regarding coverage: *PagePlus does not have coverage where I work (though it does have coverage where I sleep). See, checking coverage is important. *Virgin Mobile seems to have acceptable coverage for me (and I'm leaning this direction). It is a good choice. If you go with a smartphone, I recommend staying away from the models "Venture" and "Intercept". Their capabilities and reliability are too low at any price. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/android-phones/ In the Pay-lo phone choices, any will do. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/paylo/ *I cannot figure out Metro PCS coverage map http://www.metropcs.com/metro/maps/coverage-map.jsp Open map and click onto "Home Area" map only. Columiba is not one of their few home markets so they will not offer you service. The people who have their service (like people who live in Atlanta) can use their phone in Columbia but Metro is borrowing (and therefore paying someone) for those calls the Atlanta person makes while in Columbia. Since nearly 100% of your calls would be in Columbia or MO in general, Metro would loose money on you as a customer and therefore does not want you and does not market to you. A question about the super cheap options: *Do Trac or Net10 have texting? They don't mention it and it is a must for me (I text way more than I talk). In short, Trac and Net10 (same company) are cheap to get involved with and expensive to use if you do it by the minute. Where they are good is for customers who do not talk much (like hardly at all.) Net 10 does have a $50 unlimited deal which is similar to others but if you think you want this then get StraightTalk instead Thanks again folks! Clem

PM Sent earlier.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/10/12 11:35 a.m.

Not saying you won't find one that works for you, but the pay as you go options are made to be higher priced than the contract plans because of credit problems. Others are made for the senile, so they can press one to call their son, Billy. You may find you save money with a contract plan. I know I do. There is no other way I would get what I have for how much I pay. (a lot.) With AT&T, I get great coverage across Missouri. Used to sell AT&T, Boost, Sprint, Go Phone, Verizon, and pretty much every other company. My choice is to stay with AT&T contact. An added bonus, the new phones seem to be of higher quality.

EDIT: I also make Wifey pay the bill.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
9/10/12 11:42 a.m.

The only thing I know is Sprint's coverage where I live blows.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
9/10/12 11:49 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: The only thing I know is Sprint's coverage where I live blows.

+1. Sad when i live in a major metropolitan area. I'm a bit mad that i was stupid enough to sign a 2 year contract with them paying for "premium data" on two handsets when they don't even really have a data network worth using.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/10/12 11:59 a.m.

Sprint initially built their network along major interstate highways. AT&T used a "scatter bomb" approach. Put towers up just scattered about. If you are in a rural area, sprint could suck. Even along some highways. Where I am, Sprint is hit and miss.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/10/12 12:04 p.m.

JohnRW1621...what you said in your other thread was news to me and I'm happy to hear it (and I see you posted it on this thread while I was finding it on the other thread)

More savings: If you are familiar with the contract world your $69 plan may really be a $79 bill once the invoice comes. That is because of not only tax but things like $1.50 for Universal Access Fee and $3 for enhanced 911 fee, etc. In the prepaid world, these telecom fees still get paid but get paid after the money is collected from you. In other words, the phone carrier pays those fees out of the $55 or $45 you give them. Said otherwise, the price you see with prepaid is really the price you pay which results in at least $6 in savings per month.
neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/10/12 12:45 p.m.

Tempted to drop my line from AT&T when my upgrade comes and put my iPhone 3GS onto a pre-paid like Strait talk, but I also look forward to the 5 being released, and a price drop on the 4S to follow($99 16Gb?)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gZRevw0ROqcwVPwOLyZwNBMp5ZCn7lfqpENhUhpV0P2iVTZELYRPPYvPmpV6hbUl