1 2 3 4 5
Claff
Claff Reader
11/11/20 10:49 p.m.

Kit #2 has arrived

I thought the best part of doing a NASCAR car was the intricate application of decals and numbers. Cracked open the box to find that a good chunk of that has been done for me.

So my enthusiasm for this one is diminished a bit. It'll get done but when a lot of the ooh ahh nice work was done by AMT in the model factory.

I'll concentrate on the police Expedition, which I haven't done anything with other than give the body a quick sanding in anticipation of primer and paint. Progress will be ramping up on this one now that weather is turning more fall-like.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/11/20 11:00 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Of course it has to be muddy!

11/11/20 11:01 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

Challenge - Make the NASCAR a believable looking race-worn version. Think just got done with 500 miles at Martinsville or Bristol .

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/12/20 6:28 a.m.

Will I get disqualified if I apply glue to my build? I chopped the horrid sidepipes off the Mustang and while it could remain a snap assembly it will look better without the tabs and slots.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/12/20 8:09 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I hope not, I am using glue and bondo on mine to get the replica I want.

Claff
Claff Reader
11/13/20 11:18 a.m.

Primer day was yesterday. I didn't feel like covering the car in the garage and spraying in there so I took my chances shooting between showers outdoors in probably too-chilly conditions. But it went on OK.

I spent some time in Home Depot weighing options for interior color. Since I plan on building the Expedition with the alternate decals (no white doors), it's going to be very black. For contrast, my first choice was to do a tan interior even though I don't like them in real car. But research turned up no police-spec Expeditions with tan interiors. Most were black and some were grey. So I got dark grey paint for the interior and I hope that doesn't turn that into a black hole with the finished product.

EDIT it just dawned on me that the exterior doesn't *have* to be black. A dark blue would work just as easily and keep this thing from being seen as some sort of urban assault punisher. But I'd have to go out and get more paint. We shall see.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/13/20 12:55 p.m.

Well here it is. 10 pieces ha ha!

I think I will detail the body hardware, latches etc. Maybe some chassis detailing. Possibly interior. Might have my 3 year old help assemble.

Probably some "day 2" mods

Off to Google for reference pics!

solfly
solfly Dork
11/13/20 1:16 p.m.

How would one go about tinting windows?

solfly
solfly Dork
11/13/20 2:27 p.m.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/13/20 4:28 p.m.
solfly said:

How would one go about tinting windows?

Probably clear "smoke" paint. 
Although real tint scraps may work on bigger/flatter pieces...

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/13/20 7:47 p.m.

My current project... though not to the theme this month is another NASCAR from my youth. This time it's Bill Elliott's 1992 Junior Johnson Bud car. 

Started by removing all the seams, then blending in the bumpers to the body, and filling in the upper body side character line and headlamp vent.

final primer:

Tamiya TS-8 straight from the can:

starting on chassis and engine:

solfly
solfly Dork
11/14/20 6:29 a.m.

That's going to look awesome

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/14/20 7:34 a.m.

I think you need to tell us how you did that exhaust paint.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/15/20 2:24 p.m.

I found some Testor's smoke black for window tinting in a spray can at the local hobby shop.

That tbird looks fantastic.

I guess a little glue is okay. I had to use some to keep the wheels on the Raptor.

11/15/20 7:31 p.m.

Every model I've ever made looked ready for a car show. I just can't bring myself to weather them for fear or ruining them.

I liked having decals/stickers for the instruments and center stack infotainment screen.

These 2 are the only Fords I've ever built. In my lifetime.

11/15/20 8:03 p.m.

Nicely done!

Glad we're breaking you out of your Corvettes only build habits

11/15/20 8:34 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Nicely done!

Glad we're breaking you out of your Corvettes only build habits

I still have the ChEaparral to finish. And I did do the Riv.smiley

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/16/20 6:42 a.m.

That Raptor is nice. I may have to open my tight purse strings and buy one.

The Mustang notch body is primed, interior is painted, and chassis got shot with flat black. I've decided to use up the remaining M3 silver I have from painting the fender on my track car. ASSuming there is enough still in the can.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/18/20 10:28 a.m.

Haven't done much more since the picture. by much more I mean nothing. Probably put in a few hours friday afternoon.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/19/20 6:29 a.m.

Current status.

I'm sooooo tired of black interiors. My '81 was sort of a gray with a red interior so...here ya go. Hand painting the wheels inside the tires wasn't as bad as I expected. Aside from the glass this is the entire kit, LOL.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/19/20 9:29 a.m.

looks like 11 pieces, i only have 10 ha ha

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/19/20 10:32 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

Mine came with 24 pieces! Of course I am only using 8 of them plus a few of my own manufacture..

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/19/20 7:18 p.m.

Update on my Tbird... almost ready for decals 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/19/20 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

That is a great looking model.

11/19/20 10:09 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Saron81 :

That is a great looking model.

I can't get over the fact that it's a snap model.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YuPi3FpirM3MaQu0bNIWiAiiuFyUPNwvCcme0HDabR9kPelYnMFna4gEXE1q4XiE