solfly Dork
11/20/20 4:19 a.m.

It's not is it?

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/20/20 8:30 a.m.
solfly said:

It's not is it?

No, it's a regular 1/24 glue kit... not really to this months theme... just building along and sharing. Not in the contest this month!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/20/20 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Wait? What? Then who has the Valvoline Ford? Suppose I should pay better attention.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/21/20 2:43 p.m.

Did a bit more exterior detailing on the TJ. Thinking about doing the interior a bit. Haven't decided.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/21/20 7:05 p.m.

Hmm. They may be onto something with these simplified snap kits. Other than painting the trim on the body shell I'm about done with the faux Cobra. Assembly is a bit anti-climactic. I mean,  you just push a few pieces together and it's all over.  The detail even on this hopelessly 1980s tool is actually decent. And I kind of like working in the smaller scale; easier to hide my occasional goofs. Don't dismiss a snapper if they make something you find appealing.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/21/20 9:39 p.m.

I'm getting a late start. I found this snap Toyota while I was out yesterday. It seems pretty simple so I might actually finish it. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/22/20 6:57 a.m.

My favorite vintage of Toyota pickup. Always wondered about that kit.

My half-asleep prior post didn't really say what I wanted. I sometimes get bogged down in doing a regular kit as there is a lot more to do with all of the engine, suspension, underhood detailing, etc.  This snap kit has been a quick way to build a kit and getting quicker gratification.  Once they are in the display case how often do I really pop open the hood or look at the underside? Though I prefer a full kit there are times when a quickie build may be just the ticket. Only downside I've seen so far is the 1/32 cars don't allow for much in the way of parts swapping (wheels and tires, mostly).

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/25/20 3:52 p.m.

Come on fellas, you've left this thread fall to page 3!

Mine is done. I'll have a review video posted later this weekend that will show details.

This is one of these builds you think will look like crap until it's actually finished, then you go "Hmmm. Doesn't look too bad after all."

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/25/20 4:10 p.m.

I've been procrastinating because my desk is a mess and I have no room to work.

Not often I get to use gloss blue paint on an interior, though. That's fun.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/25/20 6:40 p.m.

It's a simple but nicely detailed kit

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
11/25/20 6:47 p.m.

I have heard lots of good things about that Toyota pickup kit.
I haven't been around much lately (I mostly browse at work, and it's actually been busy finally) but I'm sorry I missed this contest. There's no way I would have time to play.

Good luck everyone!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/25/20 11:41 p.m.

I am still struggling with the primer/filler to make a black car...... Maybe it will be ready for color on Friday....

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/26/20 6:26 a.m.

Separate suspension parts Wally? No fair!

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/26/20 5:20 p.m.

Lol! 

Ive seen that Toyota kit built before... and it can look pretty good!

I finished my Tbird. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/26/20 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

That looks great. The Toyota kit could be good but it's mine instead.  I think I lost the grill somewhere 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/26/20 9:11 p.m.

Nothing some fine mesh metal screen can't fix.

Unbox/build/review video of the mighty Fox four-eye here.

solfly
solfly Dork
11/27/20 4:08 p.m.

Think me and the kiddo will snap the jeep together tomorrow. No tinted windows.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/27/20 4:52 p.m.

The complex shape of the GT90 window/roof glass needing masked and painted is holding me back. (I'm too lazy to mask it all)

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/27/20 8:58 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

You need the new Molotow Blackliner pens!

11/27/20 9:02 p.m.

Also I say this one out to produce HO scale AMC Rebel Machines:

I'll post more in the slot car thread.

Claff
Claff Reader
11/28/20 12:24 a.m.

FWIW I have the Valvoline NASCAR kit. Haven't done anything with it yet.

The police Expedition got some work this week. I should have known when I saw the kit's simplicity and a whole month to do it, I figured it'd be more super-detailed than any snap kit before, it'll be great. Then I look at the calendar and see I have three days to get it all done. Oops!

I painted the body a week or so back, and it came out terrible. I half-assed sanding the primer and that's reflected in the color coat. That paint can spattered at first squirt and I had a hunch that it wasn't going to go well. Add to the fact that the chunk of wood I put bodies on for paint had accumulated some dust between projects, and that dust wound up in the paint, well, all that is an enthusiasm killer. I might be able to convince it to shine with some work, but even then I question my decision to go dark blurple metallic vs. a more standard police black or navy blue. It might look better once it's decalled.

The rest (what little there is) is mostly done. I like decals for the laptop screen and instrument panel, but the decals aren't working like they're supposed to. Even with thorough soaking, they're not sliding off the paper easily. This concerns me when it's time to put the bid decals on the doors and the other police lettering. I guess we'll have to wait and see how that goes. The body still needs the window trim and other details painted, but it should be done by the deadline.

11/28/20 12:47 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

Don't be so hard on yourself, it looks great! I like the purple. On my kid's model those were stickers, not decals though.

11/28/20 8:13 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

As Javelin said, be sure they're not actually stickers. They were n my Raptor. And purple is good.

It doesn't look purple, but that's just the lighting.

11/28/20 12:06 p.m.

Two days left. Get snapping! Please repost your model so I can see them without having to search the thread. 

Thoughts on December build?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/28/20 1:55 p.m.

Well, I've got to give AMT credit here. They actually put very thick ridges on the inside, making it very easy to paint the black trim sections. I was not expecting that.

I also got the rest of the blue parts painted. I have to do some detail painting on the engine bay, and grind down one of the axles because it's way too long for some reason, and then I can click it all together hopefully. I don't even plan to paint the body, maybe just polish the plastic.

December build? Anything that doesn't require me to spraypaint outside in the cold. cheeky

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mCAW4zbTxUQ1i157WY9fEymQzusCBqqdTOJ7DKIiuIs3Co6Uf3jzPjtePVhQ3ewy