Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/27/20 3:31 p.m.

I logged on to the NASA live channel, about 15 seconds before the Mission Commander announced onset of a launch scrub sequence. I'm not surprised, the weather's been pretty sketchy here throughout the day.

I'm glad for their caution. We don't need another weather related/Challenger disaster.  One of my wife's childhood friends spent a year watching the Challenger launch videos over and over. His assignment was to plot the trajectory of every piece for later recovery; I believe he has some PTSD from that experience.

Next day on schedule is Saturday, May 30. I'll be off work again, so I'll be out in the yard to watch!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/27/20 3:42 p.m.

I watched that live. That's trauma for a 7 year old completely obsessed with aviation. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/27/20 4:07 p.m.

CNN showed more shots of the tesla X than the shuttle 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/27/20 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Same with me and the munchkin 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/27/20 6:50 p.m.

I think I tuned in at the exact same time. 

OTOH, now I can plan a little watch party for Saturday and have a couple cold beers to celebrate. Assuming it launches.

Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter)
Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/27/20 8:10 p.m.

If your at the central FL build party we have a great view of the launches from the yard.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/27/20 9:44 p.m.

Man, I'd love to drive out there to see a launch in person. I lived in Tampa during the end of the shuttle program and had an opportunity to drive out to Titusville to witness the second to last shuttle launch. It was scrubbed that day and couldn't get back out there due to work.

I'm back in Tampa but my work schedule sucks. I'm on night shift and would of missed the SpaceX launch today.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/27/20 10:51 p.m.

I had a pizza for lunch today, so my lunch wasn't cancelled. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/28/20 7:02 a.m.

One thing I noticed, the 60's US spacecraft looked like the interior was designed by stuffing the entire contents of a RadioShack in a shoebox. Dragon looks like an iProduct. It's funny how much influence marketing, product design, and cool factor have when it's a for-profit company.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/28/20 7:09 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

There is no way they could do the same thing back in the 60s. Heck, that wasn't even possible for most of the shuttle lifetime. 
All of the switches and gauges need to be controlled or monitored, and without capable computers, it all had to be done manually. Realistically, that's also why there had to be so many people at mission control in the early days vs now. 
With computers and communication so much better now, the amount and quality of data makes for more need of people keeping an eye on it. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/28/20 7:45 a.m.

I find it's best not to skip meals.  Even if I'm super busy, I'll make time to eat a salad.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ai4tiHk9mSYB6F3Xnstu7MmxSCYkBSjbQ5mUuTmJFqLdGPjqJ0Xz12XMWdXLxb1k