carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/13/11 10:11 p.m.

Yup words to that effect make me want to do it to.

Wonderous footage!

Crazy people, but great pics

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/02/nyiragongo_crater_journey_to_t.html?s_campaign=8315

I've walked on fresh lava and been within feet of fresh streams of lava. Melted the soles of my shoes and was so hot it basically disintegrated the sticks I'd poke in it.

The gases were intense and this was on an open plain of lava. Captured in a crater and lakes of lava vs. a couple of itty bitty streams of lava makes me wonder how these guys heard each other with the clanging noises going on.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
4/13/11 10:28 p.m.

Lava is one of the most beautiful things on Earth, in my opinion.

Graefin10
Graefin10 New Reader
4/13/11 10:39 p.m.

Incredible! Thanks for posting this. Those guys must surely know what they're doing to take suck a risk.

killerkane
killerkane Reader
4/13/11 11:06 p.m.

Wow, wouldn't there be carbon monoxide settled down in the crater?

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
4/13/11 11:20 p.m.

whoa! reading the info about the depth gives you an idea of the size of it all, but this picture blew my mind for just how BIG the lava lake and rim really is... it's like where's waldo.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
4/13/11 11:51 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Crazy people, but great pics

There's a fine line between brave and stupid...

Awesome pics!

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
4/14/11 12:17 a.m.
killerkane wrote: Wow, wouldn't there be carbon monoxide settled down in the crater?

The article is riddled with talk about gas/heat/wind.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
4/14/11 12:47 a.m.

that is pretty amazing

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
4/14/11 7:01 a.m.
WilberM3 wrote: whoa! reading the info about the depth gives you an idea of the size of it all, but this picture blew my mind for just how BIG the lava lake and rim really is... it's like where's waldo.

Yeah, that one blew me away too. The other pics just dont give you any scale. That one is amazing.

Thanks for the post.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
4/14/11 7:48 a.m.

Hey, I have a pair of those gloves!

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/14/11 8:44 a.m.

wild. thanks for posting!

keethrax
keethrax Reader
4/14/11 9:15 a.m.

There's an article and some more pics in the April 2011 National Geographic as well.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
4/14/11 9:16 a.m.

Epic!

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/14/11 9:18 a.m.

I thought this was just too good to pass up and since this site is filled with strange people I knew you'd appreciate it as much as me.

It's one thing to talk about lava or see pics of it. It's another to actually see it. Everyone needs to go to Hawaii, not for the surfing, but for the continually erupting volcano.

You can't even imagine the power of a volcano until you drive miles thru barren lava fields to reach the volcano and then walk by the active streams. Heat? You haven't felt heat before (and I've worked in a foundry).

And as someone else said, it's lovely.

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
4/14/11 9:22 a.m.

Thanks for sharing. That is awesome. I'll third the comment about not realizing the scale until seeing the pic with the guy up close to it. Wow!

On a similar note, I read about the "Gate to Hell" recently. This looks like a cool thing to see too.

Gate to Hell story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
4/14/11 10:06 a.m.

I wear the same gear when approaching my ex...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit Dork
4/14/11 10:51 a.m.

Very interesting and great pictures.

GregW
GregW New Reader
4/14/11 1:49 p.m.

No there is some fine geothermal energy. I have always wanted to investigate directly tapping magma for heat. Something to do when I retire.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
4/14/11 2:18 p.m.

Why was I expecting this instead? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/14/11 7:13 p.m.

The problem with these guys successfully exploring the area is now it's only a matter of time before the Jackass crew shows up to bounce lava off of each others' nuts.

We shouldn't be in such a hurry to demystify some things, lest we open doors we cannot close.

jg

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
4/14/11 7:51 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EZZu13Ya3wpozgppPCHOBiLJBix096AZF2qUfa1wggIYrz5Cv9HAcN4Zylly8O6U