1 2
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/16/12 9:21 p.m.

It probably won't be repeat viewing. There's no need to drive a tank over a porsche or a 1968 mustang. I know that we're supposed to be amused at his angst over this, but honestly I'm too annoyed by it to be amused.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
4/16/12 9:28 p.m.

Haven't seen the show yet, but thats about the only thing I dislike about Top Gear- their destruction of things for no particularly good reason.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/16/12 9:37 p.m.

Ooh, not like Top Gear ever destroys stuff just for fun. So far it's not bad.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/16/12 9:40 p.m.

Watching it on a time delay now. Fast forwarding though commercials is pretty cool.

I've not gotten too far into it, but it seems pretty boring thus far.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
4/16/12 9:50 p.m.

That's just Berkin' stupid. I don't care if its a 6 cylinder rustbucket, (haven't seen the show and don't want to now), that's one of those things you just don't do.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
4/16/12 9:53 p.m.

Not watching it, no cable here.

However, destruction for destruction's sake is just fine by me.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
4/16/12 9:56 p.m.

I don't mind destruction, but don't destroy things that are rare. Don't give the "anything can be replaced" argument, because not everything can be. There are only X number of X things and once they are gone, that's it.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/16/12 10:05 p.m.

If it helps, the cars were reportedly sourced from the junkyard.

This seems like a Richard Hammond hosted version of Dirty Jobs. I'm not the biggest fan of that show, so I don't see myself watching more after this episode, if I managed to finish this one.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/16/12 10:20 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I don't mind destruction, but don't destroy things that are rare. Don't give the "anything can be replaced" argument, because not everything can be. There are only X number of X things and once they are gone, that's it.

Mustangs aren't rare by any stretch of the imagination. The old ones are being stamped out again anyway.

What was done for the show is no travesty. The cars were probably due for the crusher anyway.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/16/12 10:50 p.m.

Is it bad that I found it sadder that they shot up an egg than drove over a 4 door Chevelle, an old 928, and a 1968 mustang? I wouldn't be surprised if out of the bunch, it's the rarest vehicle.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/16/12 11:56 p.m.

What's the name of his new show? I had no idea there was another show.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
4/17/12 12:32 a.m.

It's called Crash Course.

Basically he gets a "Crash Course" in operating heavy machinery. The first episode was learning to operate an M1A2 Abrams.

Honestly it wasn't anything to get excited over. They really have been promoting the hell out of it. I'll probably watch it again.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
4/17/12 3:25 a.m.

Richard Hammond is a publicity hound whose ego expands to fill any available void. He works well in Top Gear precisely because he's a co-star & doesn't get to hog the limelight all by himself (and Jeremy has just as much ego to match his), but on his own he just comes across as a twit.

(I haven't watched this new show. And probably never will.)

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/17/12 5:46 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: Ooh, not like Top Gear ever destroys stuff just for fun.

The last half dozen seasons of that show have mostly sucked, too. It has gotten WAY too predictable

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
4/17/12 5:49 a.m.

I'm okay with them destroying Morris Marinas though. The less of those on the planet, the better off we are. And Clarkson did use a machine gun on a Prius once. So they aren't all bad.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/17/12 6:45 a.m.

I have a 68 mustang. It makes me happy because it makes mine slightly more valuable. Keep it up Hamster!

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
4/17/12 7:03 a.m.
Jay wrote: Richard Hammond is a publicity hound whose ego expands to fill any available void. He works well in Top Gear precisely because he's a co-star & doesn't get to hog the limelight all by himself (and Jeremy has just as much ego to match his), but on his own he just comes across as a twit. (I haven't watched this new show. And probably never will.)

James May's Man Lab was pretty sweet though.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
4/17/12 8:02 a.m.

Meh... I think James May's solo career is better. I like his toy show with the slot cars and the lego house and I kinda liked his road trip show too. Has Clarkson done any solo shows?

And in reply to Derick Freese: I was a little bit more disappointed that they shot up a Previa

Jay
Jay UltraDork
4/17/12 8:14 a.m.

Yeah, the Oz & James wine shows were really entertaining, and the specials he did about the space program (James May on the Moon & J M at the Edge of Space) were fantastic watching in every way. He's the only one of the three who I get the impression researches his subjects in depth.

That scene where Jeremy Clarkson took a machine to the Prius is 90% responsible for the internet's hybrid-hate-bandwagon. Sheesh...

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
4/17/12 8:26 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Is it bad that I found it sadder that they shot up an egg than drove over a 4 door Chevelle, an old 928, and a 1968 mustang? I wouldn't be surprised if out of the bunch, it's the rarest vehicle.

Yeah, when he declared that car his enemy and .50cal'd it up, I was a little sad. Body looked straight.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
4/17/12 8:32 a.m.

All 928s should be killed with fire, the world would be free of a little more mysery.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
4/17/12 8:39 a.m.

I'll give it another chance but this first episode was just so-so. The thing I missed was the usual cinematography of Top Gear...this show looked more like it was produced by Spike TV.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
4/17/12 8:57 a.m.

I thought it was great! I mean, a tank running over stuff, shooting things with a .50 cal and the ultimate in video game simulators! You'd have to be a girl not to like that. Believe me, the Porsche was no loss (price a '79 928 that runs, much less a junkyard dog) and neither was the Mustang (I think there are a few more out there). And, hell yes, kill da dang minivan. Again! Again!

The bit that bugged me is when they couldn't filter out the high pitched whine. Dogs were barking for blocks around and I had to turn the sound down.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/17/12 9:06 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: The bit that bugged me is when they couldn't filter out the high pitched whine. Dogs were barking for blocks around and I had to turn the sound down.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing (sans the barking dogs...).

I thought it was ok. But I agree May is better on his own than Hammond. It sorts of drives home the concept that while the three of them play exaggerated characters on Top Gear, May's TG persona is less like how he is off camera than the other two.

I also agree the production values were not up to the Top Gear standard, but since it is a BBCA production, I doubt they had anywhere near the same sortof budget to work with.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
4/18/12 1:11 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I don't mind destruction, but don't destroy things that are rare. Don't give the "anything can be replaced" argument, because not everything can be. There are only X number of X things and once they are gone, that's it.

And just about everything will be rare someday.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O273cpq3PZYbRtXXoYELWvDbO2E70VKYPflkLNhitwaO5Q39TVM9omyC0O4pCzhx