1 2
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler HalfDork
4/18/12 1:30 p.m.

The show was OK. I cringed a bit at the destruction of the Porsche and the Mustang, but whatever, it was all done for effect. And I couldn't be happier to see that ugly-ass old Toyota minivan get destroyed.

But yeah, it was kind of "meh". Felt like lots of other cable shows to me. Agreed that James' solo stuff is better, I think he's more of a geek, and thus appeals more to geeks like us, whereas Richard is kind of a generic TV personality type. He needs Jezza and James to provide contrast and someone to react to.

As for the "Top Gear sucks now" line, I challenge anyone who's seen the latest season to say that. It was their best in years.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
4/18/12 1:41 p.m.

Richard Hammond? Isn't he that ambiguously gay fella that wears those little shorts and makes exercise videos? No, wait. That's Richard Simmons, I think.

thehounder
thehounder None
4/19/12 10:10 a.m.

All the cars came out of a bone-yard...no great loss. I'm sure no one was running out to put $15K in parts in the 928 to get it back on the road.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
4/19/12 12:40 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Agreed that James' solo stuff is better, I think he's more of a geek,

I haven't bothered recording the Hammond show. I loved the first season of James May Road Trip (bummed that I missed the second season) and Toy Stories was fantastic as well.

May is a pretty engaging dude, IMHO.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
4/19/12 1:10 p.m.

James May on the Moon is also a very good show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_May_on_the_Moon

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/19/12 1:47 p.m.

Back we when had cable, the wife and I would watch Brainiac whenever it was on. It's quite possibly, the best quasi educational program ever. Watch it if you ever get the chance. That's the only experience I have with Hammond as a solo host. He was great there.

Duke
Duke UberDork
4/19/12 3:29 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: As for the "Top Gear sucks now" line, I challenge anyone who's seen the latest season to say that. It was their best in years.

I don't know what the "current season" is because I watch through BBCA. However, I just watched the India Special last night and was rather underwhelmed. They've got such an obvious formula they follow that it really is getting old.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/19/12 3:35 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: As for the "Top Gear sucks now" line, I challenge anyone who's seen the latest season to say that. It was their best in years.

I still enjoy the show. It is a British comedy with cars added and I laugh like an idiot.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/19/12 3:37 p.m.
Duke wrote:
I don't know what the "current season" is because I watch through BBCA.

The "current/latest season" is starting next week for those of us who follow on BBCA.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler HalfDork
4/19/12 4:20 p.m.
Duke wrote:
I don't know what the "current season" is because I watch through BBCA. However, I just watched the India Special last night and was rather underwhelmed. They've got such an obvious formula they follow that it really is getting old.

The India special was weak, but the season that followed it was excellent. Trust me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x1UnweMx6haTctAEKtzVreKqhD7W6FF7y13dbOwATLYxXO2OUT36AOCggWmeJeOh