3 4 5
Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
4/16/19 6:29 p.m.

I remember reading an anecdote about a tour guide in a ghost town in the southwestern US.

"Imagine, some of these buildings are over 100 years old!"

Tourist on the bus, "Wow, I can't wait to get back to Damascus and tell my friends!"

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
4/17/19 2:33 a.m.
Woody said:

I remember taking a boat tour around the city of Hamburg. I pointed to a church and said, "Wow, I can't imagine how old that building must be!". The girl that I was with, who was from Hamburg said,"No...that church is only 300 years old. That church over there is 500 years old."

My thought at the time was that the only things in America that were 500 years old were rocks and redwoods.

Or there's the Pando

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/17/19 8:44 a.m.
GTXVette said:

or hiddin by the free Masons in the last 1000 years than we know now

Tell me more!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/17/19 9:07 a.m.

The church in my dad's hometown in Italy was built in the 1100's, I believe. And the church itself likely isn't even the first church built on the site! The town had a fire long, long ago which destroyed just about everything, and the current church was built a little later on. When I went there years ago, my dad kept telling me it's older than Notre Dame. It's a Romanesque, so it's not as big and beautiful as the later Gothic cathedrals, but it was cool to see it up close, even as a 7 year old. The biggest shock to me was there were no pews. You stood for the entire mass and you didn't say a peep!

It's a shame what happened to Notre Dame; it's a beautiful structure that I've always been fascinated with. Hopefully it can be returned to its former glory the right way.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/17/19 9:33 a.m.
z31maniac said:
GTXVette said:

or hiddin by the free Masons in the last 1000 years than we know now

Tell me more!

Or maybe don't.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SIf8tg1YlQiJgVnn2dHJQE4LSiNSPsWzTLEmDOLfHPr5eNFkD2eSHiVsq6YAwCh5