jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
6/3/23 3:08 p.m.

With no particular ax to grind, are you actually getting any ware near what you are asking for on selling your stuff.  Specifically car related. 

I might have collection of car stuff that hold some value, not just to me, but as I get older and realize that my kids will have no interest in doing any thing with this stuff.  I am not talking sheet metal.  But what I have includes those parts that include trim items that you used to find on cars that no longer find them self's in junk yards.  

I have over the years disassembled cars that I did drag home but, that was when they were practically given away. The number of BMW 2002's I now have parts from would make you uncomfortable.  But that is but one example.  The point is any of this stuff worth dealing with to move it along?   I am just asking.

I just reentered the world of Datsuns.   What sellers are asking for when they have stuff for sale, cars or parts is amazing.  I was giver a referal to a 1973 240Z that had been repainted a non stock color,  was not currently running and the interior was not stock.  The asking price was not even worth counter offering.  The car was in a garage, one of the spring was broken on the door and had been for years.  Again, I wounder if this car when sold will deliver anything close to its asking price?

I am grateful my kids will not have to solve that issue, on that 240Z.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/3/23 4:44 p.m.

I had a large collection of Datsun parts I cleared out a few years ago.  I had a 5-speed out of a Z that I sold. 

Figured I'd die and someone is going to carry a trans out of my basement and be annoyed.  Why was there a transmission in the crawl space?

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/3/23 5:07 p.m.

CL or really, really niche websites have yielded the money that I thought miata parts were worth. Big note there is that it typically takes month and months of waiting before I find the right buyer

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
6/3/23 6:11 p.m.

Funny thing about transmissions, If you buy a spare you might never need it.  I have a collection of spares that as long as I own that car, I will never sell that one I now keep in a rubber maid tote.  That and the collection of differentials or third members.

Funny thing about BMW limited slip third members, people will drive to me to buy them.  And pay for the privilege.  Those, are not for sale.  Yet.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/3/23 6:36 p.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

Want to put me on the list for when you're ready?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/3/23 7:44 p.m.

Hey JR....  my brother has a 71 2002 and is looking for a few things....   early front bumper, taillights, perfect grilles are some.  Let me know if you might have any you'd want to sell!     My username at yarhoo 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/3/23 9:47 p.m.

I never stress too much about how much I get for things.  It sounds cavalier, but if I'm selling it, I don't need it, so it has less perceived value to me.  I'm also a cheapskate, so I try to get as much as I can, but if it fails to bring what I want, so be it.

It's a hard question to answer.  Some platforms (like CL) have just tanked in traffic, so I don't expect much from it.  Platforms like FBM seem to favor more mainstream stuff.  You can sell a $50 sofa in 20 minutes, but good luck with that used turbo.  Ebay has a massive audience of fellow cheapskates.

It also depends on how much you bought it for, and what it's condition is.  If there are currently 100 2JZ intakes on Ebay, the one intake that has been blasted and painted will bring top dollar, and the other 99 will be ignored or bid up to $5.

The other thing is... what is it really worth right now?  I have a brilliant T56 that I have $4000 sunk into.  It started as a brand new TNET1247 Viper unit from a Dodge parts counter in the early 2000s.  Zero miles, not a rebuild.  Back then it was an easy way to get the carbon fiber synchros, the better shift forks, and a beefy 30-spline output shaft.  I converted it to GM input and a bored-out F-body shifter housing, and I had the hottest ticket on the block.  Not long after that, all T56s got those upgraded goodies, and not too long after that, the T6060 Magnum came out which kinda made the T56 yesterday's news.  I now have the greatest T56 from 20 years ago, which has been superceded twice and available in any junkyard.  I doubt I'd ever sell it for half of what I have in it, so *alas* I'm stuck finding the perfect car to put it in.  #GRMfirstworldproblems

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/3/23 10:12 p.m.
jr02518 said:

Funny thing about BMW limited slip third members, people will drive to me to buy them.  And pay for the privilege.  Those, are not for sale.  Yet.

Regarding classic, good car parts - procrastination is on your side. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
6/3/23 10:15 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I never stress too much about how much I get for things.  It sounds cavalier, but if I'm selling it, I don't need it, so it has less perceived value to me.  I'm also a cheapskate, so I try to get as much as I can, but if it fails to bring what I want, so be it.

Pretty much my attitude. Selling parts is my way of throwing stuff out without contributing to landfill waste.

When selling online I just try not to get hosed on shipping.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/4/23 9:44 a.m.

Sold all my VW Corrado parts on the Corrado facebook groups and VW Vortex. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
6/4/23 9:52 a.m.
docwyte said:

Sold all my VW Corrado parts on the Corrado facebook groups and VW Vortex. 

This is the way these days.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
6/4/23 10:24 a.m.

30 years ago getting rid of car parts was tough.  Limited advertising methods meant getting leads was tough.  Now it takes a few minutes to post on a dozen internet locations.  But the pricing and quality are all over the place.  And people still think that they can recoup every penny spent on an abandoned project.  But from what I am seeing buyers are well educated and  their BS detectors work quite well.  Sellers on the other hand are all over the place.  So value to you means nothing.  What stuff like my stuff is out there and how fast is it selling is my guide.  And how fast do I want it out of the garage.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mhI7YfxhtqSXNcxpX4GJr7ETwS000zbfCaJE7d3e6sMe9xWBeoBGLVwPYysF2RdF