1 2
maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/18/09 7:09 a.m.
Angry Corvair said: i bolted the torque converter to the flex plate, then attached the TH350 trans using blunt force. had i read the book that was sitting on the workbench not three feet from said clusterberkeley, i would've known to put the torque converter on the snout of the trans and spin it to engage it properly, then mate the trans to the engine and use the removable acces cover on the bottom of the trans to install the flexplate-to-converter bolts.

BTDT! lived to pay the costs of said mistake.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/18/09 7:40 a.m.
maroon92 wrote:
Angry Corvair said: i bolted the torque converter to the flex plate, then attached the TH350 trans using blunt force. had i read the book that was sitting on the workbench not three feet from said clusterberkeley, i would've known to put the torque converter on the snout of the trans and spin it to engage it properly, then mate the trans to the engine and use the removable acces cover on the bottom of the trans to install the flexplate-to-converter bolts.
BTDT! lived to pay the costs of said mistake.

[blush] Did the same thing with a Powerglide in a Pontiac Tempest. We never removed the converter from the flexplate. [/blush]

Matt B
Matt B Reader
12/18/09 9:53 a.m.

As much dumb E36 M3 as I did in a car as a teenager, I didn't have a wreck a car until I fell asleep at the wheel. I was 17, it was a long drive home and I was within 2 miles of the house. The road veered left onto the bridge - I didn't. They calculated my mom's 89 Cougar was airborne for 40feet laterally as it soared into a 25ft gully (it hit the other embankment before falling into the creek). Although the lack of an airbag caused quite a bit of damage to me, that long hood saved my life I think. Unfortunately, I spent the next few months bedridden anyway due to my injuries.

Funny, it wasn't until after the accident that I wanted to start racing. It's amazing how extreme trauma can change one's life. For better or for worse.

beaterworld
beaterworld New Reader
12/18/09 11:35 a.m.
egnorant wrote: I plead the fifth on why my sister in law had to stop driving a 1962 Pontiac Catalina and settle for a 1976 Granada that was red with a white top. Bruce

A friend of mine's mom had a granada. my friend put it to a stop @ a light, and it burst into flames...

4eyes
4eyes Reader
12/18/09 7:21 p.m.

Turned left on a left turn arrow....in front of a drunk driver coming the opposite direction. I guess he didn't see the redlight.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 HalfDork
12/18/09 7:38 p.m.

Photobucket

14 harbor freight chop saw removed from the base. It was a 2nd gen AWD Talon TSi, until we stripped the AWD parts for a conversion on a mint Eclipse GST. The chassis was pretty clean and rust free, but it had been beat up bad, inside & out, by the last owner.

I don't have any pics of the camry. It was 'donated' due to a completely failed brake system. No brakes, not even an E-brake, and an automatic. I removed the doors with trees, the hood, trunk, windshield, rear window, and roof skin with an axe. I basically made a jeep, with no brakes. It was fun until my friend forgot that he couldn't brake for a corner and rolled it. He flew out the hole in the roof, somehow uninjured. It never ran right after that, and the radio wouldn't shut off so the battery always died. We drained the oil, poured sand in the valve cover, and held it WOT 'till it died.

footinmouth
footinmouth New Reader
12/18/09 9:38 p.m.

I used to go in reverse in my VW rabbit as fast as it could go[ WOT] ,then put it in 1st ,foot to the floor and sidestep the clutch. Did this more times than I could count .Going 4 wheeling on trails just wide enough for a quad . Backwards doughnuts in deep mud and racing around on a motorcross track . Over the whoop section the bumper would hit the middle of the next whoop and so on down the track . E brake 180's at 40+ mph .I jumped it , hit something and bent the oil pan , broke the oil pick up tube and cracked the windshield . It had almost no oil pressure and still lasted a couple more months with the same hijinks . The most fun I ever had for 600$

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/18/09 9:49 p.m.

I managed to get a I6 4 speed VH Holden Commodore airborne for 75 meters in a pursuit, landed in the center of an intersection with a green light for the cross traffic.... I had the flashing blues.

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
12/18/09 11:59 p.m.

so back when i was a stupid teenager, i noticed while ra... er, driving with my friends to lunch in the winters of wisconsin, that if i started in 2nd and did a fair share of clutch slipping, my jetta would take off far faster in deep snow than my friends' buick and toronado. also that was the best way to get out of a snow bank. i appologize to that clutch. but it did last 2 months like that!

beaterworld
beaterworld New Reader
1/13/10 11:29 a.m.

It's not torture, but the wheel fell off on my granddad's mini on the freeway!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ke2VoKE6pbnJ7WhjkYc94nPVOF2rezz07fsYAXbPNqZQ9cEdvtwJ8QloPt17IADj