poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
3/9/10 2:55 p.m.
John Brown wrote: From CARS

Well done, sir.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
3/9/10 3:02 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: What the hell is the "B" for? "Back Up?" "Bimbo?" "Banned?" "Bob Costas?"

It actually stands for "brake." Assuming everything is working correctly, it engages the CVT to do engine braking.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/9/10 3:05 p.m.
Type Q wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: What the hell is the "B" for? "Back Up?" "Bimbo?" "Banned?" "Bob Costas?"
It actually stands for "brake." Assuming everything is working correctly, it engages the CVT to do engine braking.

UGH.

If i wanted a brake around there, i'd install a Jake Brake.

Come to think of that, that would be pretty awesome.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
3/9/10 3:18 p.m.

I still say we need regenerative braking for internal combustion engines that, when applied, turns the engine into a refinery.

Clem

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
3/9/10 3:36 p.m.

B stands for Balls-Out

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
3/9/10 3:38 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I still say we need regenerative braking for internal combustion engines that, when applied, turns the engine into a refinery. Clem

Would that be called "Refinerative Braking?"

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
3/9/10 4:11 p.m.

People, it's obvious.

It's Skynet.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
3/9/10 4:29 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: People, it's obvious. It's Skynet.

More like Skynet's quasi-evil cousin. Wants to kill all humans, but instead of being tapped into the defense network its stuck inside of Toyota ECU's.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
3/9/10 5:17 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
JeepinMatt wrote: People, it's obvious. It's Skynet.
More like Skynet's quasi-evil cousin. Wants to kill all humans, but instead of being tapped into the defense network its stuck inside of Toyota ECU's.

It thinks Skynet was a bit of an overachiever.

3Door4G
3Door4G New Reader
3/9/10 6:39 p.m.

Heard on the news that he pressed the button to shut it down, but it didn't work, so he pressed it again. How much you wanna bet that he didn't hold the button down.

C&D did a test in a V6 Camry I think it was. They said even with the transmission in drive and the the throttle down all the way, they could still get it to stop using just the brakes. It did take a bit longer, but nothing that would require another car to physically slow it down.

That being said, the car should not have behaved in that manner, provided that this story is not a fabrication.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/9/10 7:04 p.m.

it almost has to be a fabrication... they claim the Prius was doing in excess of 95 mph...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/9/10 7:31 p.m.

It is amazing how many people, over the years, would bring their car in, say it did thus and such and they are afraid to drive it any more. The dealership says 'fine, leave it.' The owner says 'what about another car?' That's up to the manufacturer. 'What about the payments?' That's up to the bank. 'What about my credit?' See: the bank. In short: they spent too much, wrecked their budget, and want out.

As I said, this stinks all over.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/9/10 8:34 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: With no mechanical link to the transmission, no mechanical linkto the throttle plate and minimal mechanical link to the brakes how DO you shut one down?

I dunno..

Mechanical linkages are the best evar...

All of this anti electronic talk is the same stuff that went around the off-road community in the early to mid 90's(in the early internet days)..

Everyone was all in a huff about fuel injection and how complicated it was and you couldn't fix it on the trail and how inefficent it was and WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE... Finally one day someone realized that a truck with FI wouldn't bog on hills or wouldn't need to be fixed because it was reliable.. Then people got smart.

This is the same crap that's going around now about the electronic throttle stuff.

Think about the benefits of an electronic throttle. You could have one setting for an autox and one for driving around (with max mpg in mind)... It's not that far off.

Or you could maybe an even more compelling argument is the vintage tractor vs new tractor debates over at www.mytractorforum.com

They go something like this.. The vintage tractor is made to last and will keep running for 50 years... The new tractor does 12x the work of the vintage tractor, runs 24x7, uses 50% the fuel of one vintage tractor, and gives engine overhaul times of 5x the hours of a vintage engine.... (btw.. there's no mechanical connection to the throttle plate on a diesel either... )

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/9/10 8:49 p.m.
Cotton wrote: They're recalling them http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704784904575111503873150166.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEADNewsCollection

umm.. no they are not.

did you read that article.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
3/9/10 10:11 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: With no mechanical link to the transmission, no mechanical linkto the throttle plate and minimal mechanical link to the brakes how DO you shut one down?
(btw.. there's no mechanical connection to the throttle plate on a diesel either... )

I didn't think there even is a throttle plate in a diesel. At least there wasn't on my 92 Cummins Ram,but then again that was more like an old tractor than anything built these days.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
3/9/10 10:16 p.m.

The guy called 911 and the first thing the dispatcher asked him was if he tried to put it in neutral. His response: "I've never messed with this kind of shifter before, especially while driving. I thought it might flip." What a load of crap. I really hope Toyota pulls the black box data and proves this turd was holding the pedal down himself and only let off when he decided it was time to stop.

I'm not a Toyota fan, but the witch hunt is getting a little ridiculous. Class action lawsuits for diminished value? Screw off, leaches. Your car will still end up with better than average resale value because people are stupid and will forget all this in a year.

Bob

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
3/9/10 10:58 p.m.

its amazing how many people think that driving down the highway at 70 mph in their soulless econobox is such a delicate balance of traction and aerodynamics that if they do anything different than drive straight ahead, it'll just fly out of control.

one comment on the prius article somewhere else i saw said they'd be afraid to use the e-brake in that situation because it would bypass the abs, lock up the brakes and flip the car.

this was on jalop, btw, so not your average mindless blog commenter, either

also, how did toyota get past the PRNDL requirement?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/10/10 5:28 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:
ignorant wrote:
(btw.. there's no mechanical connection to the throttle plate on a diesel either... )
I didn't think there even is a throttle plate in a diesel. At least there wasn't on my 92 Cummins Ram,but then again that was more like an old tractor than anything built these days.

Diesels don't have a throttle plate.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/10/10 5:51 a.m.

I also find the story very suspicious. The bit about applying the parking or emergency brake and having it suddenly and miraculously engaging the brakes is quite...interesting. Equally the bit about the throttle pedal "doing something funny". That's not suspicious, the magical self fix that let it all suddenly release when the car got below 50 mph and come to a complete safe non-reving stop (apparently) is.

Do these not have a transmission with an N in it someplace?

Yep, and it's connected to the computer, not the transmission. You make the request for neutral, sending the message to the computer. The computer takes your request under advisement, evaluates the various parameters it considers important, and decides whether or not to honor your request for neutral.

Amazing how difficult this is for some folk to grasp. This is not your old 70's transmission with a lever connected to the hydraulic controls of the transmission itself.

how did toyota get past the PRNDL requirement?

I keep hearing this, but I have never seen an SAE, DOT, NHTSA or agency requirement of this. As far as I know, PRNDL and its variants (there are many) is nothing but a convention. And it never was a rigorously followed convention, there always were, and are, plenty of exceptions.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/10/10 6:15 a.m.

http://jalopnik.com/5489553/runaway-prius-911-tape-im-over-90

Listen to the call. The guy is obviously sharp as a tack. HA!

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/10/10 6:28 a.m.
ignorant wrote: http://jalopnik.com/5489553/runaway-prius-911-tape-im-over-90 Listen to the call. The guy is obviously sharp as a tack. HA!
911 operator said: Sir can you hear me?
Prius guy said: (Thinking of story....)

> I wonder if he thought of calling 911 before the police caught him speeding. It sounds like anyone in a Toyota can get their speeding tickets thrown out by getting out and kissing the ground when they "Finally" get it to stop.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/10/10 6:30 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I still say we need regenerative braking for internal combustion engines that, when applied, turns the engine into a refinery. Clem

How about a distilary. It could put the ethenol to better use.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
3/10/10 6:45 a.m.

The wendy's finger all over again - this stinks to high heaven. People trying to make a buck off of a semi-legit recall.

81gtv6
81gtv6 HalfDork
3/10/10 9:02 a.m.

I wish this whole Toyota thing would make people realize that our so called "Drivers Training" is one massive joke. Besides that this looks to me like a ringing endorsement for manual trans cars.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox New Reader
3/10/10 9:16 a.m.

The guy was squealing "I am over 90" like that is the speed at which death is imminent on the interstate. He was saying he was trying to control the car. Does a Prius become wildly unstable at 90? Al Gore's kid was doing 100 mph in his Prius while smoking a joint with no apparent problems.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MlwIlwOn7Myz2L6KG4jP3kSaLWpeBDbaIr5wKnGPxNlW0EYOFkMtvKWuFZwzhgJD