bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
10/24/20 12:04 p.m.

This one hurts.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/jerry-jeff-walker-mr-bojangles-outlaw-country-dead-obituary-1080617/

His version of LA Freeway was my introduction to a whole genre of music.  While visiting London on vacation, we made a trip to Marble Arch Station specifically because of his & Gary P.'s London Home Sick Blues.

We got to see him live once, I still have the CD of Night After Night I bought from his merch booth, and its replacement SWMBO bought me years later, because I'd worn the original out.

We lost a legend.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/24/20 12:25 p.m.

Ouch.this one really hurts, especially after losing Prine earlier this year.

Todd Snider sharing a great story about Jerry Jeff before Mr Bojangles. Todd has a lot of great stories with him

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/24/20 1:09 p.m.

Holy E36 M3. Dammit. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
10/24/20 3:42 p.m.

Frickin 2020. This year just sucks.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/24/20 3:51 p.m.

This one hurts. Viva Terlingua, Viva Luckenbach, and Navajo Rug all made a pretty big impression on me. Like, probably in the top 5 of musical influences on me. 

Also do a big part of why my wife and I started dating. In fact I’m not convinced the 2nd date would have gone so easily without discovering that we both grew up listening to him on our first date. 

Did you know that he was the first one to take Jimmy Buffet to Key West?

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
10/24/20 4:49 p.m.

We were painting this afternoon and I put on Pickup Truck for no reason.  Was just humming the tune in my head.  Didn't know he had died until I read this just now.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
10/24/20 6:46 p.m.

Oh, man. I wanna go home with the armadillos. I know it's Gary Nunn's song, but Jerry Jeff made it main stream. As did Austin City Limits.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/24/20 9:29 p.m.

The first 8-track I bought was "Viva Terlingua", still one of my favorite albums.

CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter)
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/24/20 9:58 p.m.

Prine, Earl and now Jerry Jeff? Somebody better be keeping an eye on Snider =(

mtn (Forum Supporter)
10/24/20 10:16 p.m.

Not the right season. And I don’t have fruit to put in it. But the Sangria is hitting the spot tonight. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
10/24/20 11:11 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

One of my college roommates and I first made sangria, following Jerry Jeff's recipe, though I've never been able to find "sparkling burgundy wine."  I tweaked and honed my recipe over the year, and now most parties we go to, folks request I bring sangria.  If it wasn't for Jerry Jeff, I probably wouldn't even know what sangria is.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
10/24/20 11:26 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

One of my college roommates and I first made sangria, following Jerry Jeff's recipe, though I've never been able to find "sparkling burgundy wine."  I tweaked and honed my recipe over the year, and now most parties we go to, folks request I bring sangria.  If it wasn't for Jerry Jeff, I probably wouldn't even know what sangria is.

Would you mind sharing that at some point?

Ive never even attempted to do anything like he says in the song... I try to avoid everclear, generally. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
10/25/20 7:43 a.m.

RIP. I'll be listening to "Up against the wall redneck mother" on loop today. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/25/20 8:27 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

Did you know that he was the first one to take Jimmy Buffet to Key West?

Yup. In the 1929 (I think) Packard called the Flying Lady. There's a photo on one of Jimmys albums of it. 

I'll second the request on the Sangria recipe. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1ZSetVccDnT1CPzMzuV7aBJZAhPZZgZqtHOMQVvQ6BV7liwVZvQFEUH7taqEFAov