matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/14/21 9:21 a.m.

1. You can use one as a variable speed controller for an AC motor. (Being 240, it should also work for 120, it still just reduces the voltage).

2. You can plug a new stupid Off-Low-High crock pot and actually get the old style rheostat control so you can properly simmer.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/14/21 9:53 a.m.

pciauctions.com or similar.  PCI doesn't do much in your neck of the woods, but I'm sure someone else does.  PCI specializes in business asset liquidation.  They focus primarily on restaurants but there are plenty of other things mixed in.

Sell them.  They won't bring huge money, but the nice thing is, you drop it off, they list it and handle the auction, they keep a cut and send you a check.  I'm cleaning out the theater and I'll be taking a load of stuff to them; file cabinets, some old computer equipment, chairs, and some spools of 10/3 NM-B left over from some electrical projects.  I'm also currently bidding on some iPads, some stainless steamer bins, a security camera setup, and some shelves.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
2/14/21 12:12 p.m.

Variacs are one of the most lethal electrical devices ever invented so get rid of it - for the scrap value of the copper if nothing else.
Disclaimer: we used to use them for making sure equipment still worked correctly over a range of voltages and I had several shocking (pun intended) experiences so it's personal smiley

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/14/21 8:27 p.m.
RichardNZ said:

Variacs are one of the most lethal electrical devices ever invented so get rid of it - for the scrap value of the copper if nothing else.
Disclaimer: we used to use them for making sure equipment still worked correctly over a range of voltages and I had several shocking (pun intended) experiences so it's personal smiley

Somehow I got my hands on one for a project for an 8th grade science fair long long ago.   In retrospect I should have been immediately removed due to the utter accidental death machine I made, but somehow it passed and won regionals before the folks at states said "aw hell naw"   Great fun....

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
2/14/21 8:28 p.m.

This thread is kind of hilarious.

"I didn't want clutter so I bought a storage container.......which is full of junk.......I'm not sure what it is......I better keep it."

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
2/14/21 9:36 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Wait until he finds out the old light ballasts are full of PCB’s....  Seriously, I hope they’re not.  

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/14/21 9:46 p.m.

240 volts, I assume two phase? 

I just bought 2 three phase ones for $5500 new. I use them to test motors at +/-10% nominal voltage. 

They do have value, just have to find the correct avenue to sell them. 

What is the part number?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/14/21 11:06 p.m.

I know folks use them for plating with copper and such, but I have no experience. 
DIY electric car parts?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6GzySbEVBmHYQaSYsDIkqWQNOatnR35Qti7C0HRUMAGO3tue5RXgNdJpViiPgcaM