1 2
SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/18/14 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

That's awesome. I'm way too old and way too fat to skate too, but whatever! I'm going to give it a try!

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
9/18/14 8:59 p.m.

In my attic I still have my circa 1984 Sims Kamikaze with gullwing trucks and old sims street wheels and my 1987? Walker Street skates deck with I don't remember trucks. Put a lot of miles on them as a kid, now they usually just get used to move heavy things... like engines.

Slippery
Slippery Dork
9/18/14 9:00 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I had those same wheels, Tony. The deck I remember most was one that had an elephant on it, but I forget the skater, or the brand. I loved that board!!!

Powel Peralta Mike Vallely?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/18/14 9:03 p.m.
Slippery wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: I had those same wheels, Tony. The deck I remember most was one that had an elephant on it, but I forget the skater, or the brand. I loved that board!!!
Powel Peralta Mike Vallely?

That's the one!!! Man I loved that board. I bet it was thrown out as well.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
9/19/14 12:36 a.m.

One wall of my mancave from a few years ago (the Klein robot and the Blockhead Street Scene are sold now)

I have a few others around the room, but too lazy to take pics.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/2/19 4:52 a.m.

Zombie canoe.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
4/2/19 6:18 a.m.

I don't know how or why they do it, but these spammers actually dredge up some interesting threads.  And coincidentally, I just happened upon this old photo of me on my Schmitt Stix John Lucero.  Though I had a newer Tony Hawk, I still rode this one a lot.

The wheels were worn cone-shaped so I flipped them.  I look like a shill for S&S Skates Catalog:  Homeboy club bracelet, Swatch watch, Bones Ripper shirt (pink no less), probably Vision Streetwear shorts, and Airwalk shoes.  I probably had on Santa Cruz underwear, assuming they made such a thing.  Photos like this remind me why my back and knees are crumbling now.

failboat
failboat UberDork
4/2/19 7:49 a.m.

I have a really battered one of these hanging in the garage as wall art

I just got this on clearance for like $56 a few months ago. Toddler riding her bike or scooter is a perfect time for me to tool around on a cruiser skateboard. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
4/2/19 8:06 a.m.
failboat said:

Do you know what brand of board this is? I got one handed down to me from my uncle when i was a kid and it has identical trucks and sliders (not sure if that's the right term for the things on the side and the tail, i grew up on modern boards unlike all you old folk devil) but it's orange with a grim reaper on it and has a similar artwork style.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
4/2/19 8:15 a.m.

I still have the Jeff Kendall board I bought back in '87.  I bring it to the track to scoot around the pits on.

failboat
failboat UberDork
4/2/19 8:16 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

Its a Valterra.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/2/19 11:03 a.m.

I recently hung two 10x30 boards using these hooks--much better than constantly tripping over them. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
4/2/19 1:44 p.m.
failboat said:

In reply to edizzle89 :

Its a Valterra.

Thanks, i dont think it's a Valterra board though, just did some googling and have only found 1 picture of one for sale on Ebay, cant dig up any more info on it. Might have just been a cheap board from back in the day. but this is the one from the ebay ad that's the same as mine:

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/2/19 2:28 p.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

That board has ALL of the plastic "trimmings" we installed on them back in the early 80's.  I had the same stuff on my board.  I'll try to get a picture of it tonight.  Those snap on truck guards are pretty rare.  It seems like they got ripped off and lost almost immediately.  The ones I had are long gone. 

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Link to the etsy store is broken.  I might be interested in something like that for my board. (the link appears to be to your transaction receipt)

David S. Wallens
4/2/19 3:16 p.m.

Ah, I see what happened--linked it from my transaction history. Sorry about that. I fixed the link in my previous post. (Once on Etsy, look for item 180829667 from SwampMachineShop.)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/2/19 3:41 p.m.

Yep - I found it.  Have one on order. smiley

David S. Wallens
4/2/19 7:52 p.m.
Ian F said:

Yep - I found it.  Have one on order. smiley

Sweet. It's a heavy piece. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/2/19 9:53 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

I don't know how or why they do it, but these spammers actually dredge up some interesting threads. 

Whenever a discussion with a really unusual topic shows up, I take a look at the dates and it's almost always a zombie thread brought back to life by a spammer.  You'd think they would post in a current thread that wouldn't be so obvious.

Anyway, back to the topic...I'm another one of those people for who 'old school skateboard' means one with metal wheels.  wink  I think the last time I was on one was the summer of 1967.

Some years ago, BMW was selling a skateboard that used pieces from the suspension out of an e28 5 series car.  Since I have an e28 I thought hard about buying one just to have it around, but never did.  Kind of wish I had, they were pretty cool and they've gone way up in collector value.

failboat
failboat UberDork
4/3/19 6:18 a.m.
edizzle89 said:
failboat said:

In reply to edizzle89 :

Its a Valterra.

Thanks, i dont think it's a Valterra board though, just did some googling and have only found 1 picture of one for sale on Ebay, cant dig up any more info on it. Might have just been a cheap board from back in the day. but this is the one from the ebay ad that's the same as mine:

Valterra is what google told me. If you just do an image search for "gargoyle skateboard" every hit of that design says its Valterra. I just have the board hanging on the wall with a screw, I know on the topside of the board theres a cutout on the grip tape where I can see the brand so I can check later today. 

Nugi
Nugi Reader
4/3/19 8:51 a.m.

This makes me miss my old skull and sword powell deck. 

Still got a few old oddballs from the past. Here is an early aluminum model.

Super wide wheels and a very early skateboard-specific truck design.

Never ran metal or clay on skateboards, but the phenolic roller skate wheels were all the rage with the jam dancers at my local hardwood rink, as recently as 10 years ago!

Rollerskate thread may be lurking. I still rock my reidells. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
4/3/19 11:59 a.m.

Is this related to the canoe that resurrected the thread? A two-step canoe?

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
4/3/19 2:52 p.m.
failboat said:

I just got this on clearance for like $56 a few months ago. Toddler riding her bike or scooter is a perfect time for me to tool around on a cruiser skateboard. 

I’m pretty sure I had the same Gargoyle board as a kid, but with yellow sliders. No idea what happened to it, but it was basically unused 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/4/19 8:49 a.m.

Many thanks to the spammy canoe captain that brought this zombie thread back to life! laugh

I was thinking back to what the very first skateboard I owned was, and I remembered it was one of these:

While it was an absolutely useless and terrible board, it would make cool garage art today. Too bad I chopped it up with a hacksaw as a kid in an attempt to make a "new school" board when the old fat boards of the 80's went out of style. It's long gone now.

P00p00city
P00p00city New Reader
6/4/23 7:41 p.m.

Yo!

Hey man, what's cool?

Nothing is cool. Weeeelllllll, that Acme is pretty sick!!!

no idea if you're a keeper or seller. Me, just a broke ass old man that still apprecicates a well done pressure flip.

If you ever looking to store that Acme somewhere. I could figure out a way to save some cheese to pay ya for some storage space on my wall!!!

STILL Searchin' O-O-

Skate straight.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C1j8HzKNuHs7s571r0TF11ybej8nFfY9DPSUsjCiwmhGw3c6nHFChnwm0sezjN2G