1 2 3 4
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/22/19 10:55 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
Robbie said:

I was changing the oil last night and thought about pre-oiling the filter gasket.

Still did it anyway.

Along with that it seems many people think you have to tighten the oil filter with a wrench until it squeaks, rather than just turning it on by hand.

And then tighten the drain plug so hard it leaves an imprint in the cylinder head.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/22/19 11:54 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Hungary Bill said:
Nope,not a typo.  Methanol exists as a biproduct of fermentation in all beers and wines.  It's the reason why you have to throw off the first stuff that comes out of a still.  In beers and wines it's concentration is low enough to be relatively harmless (aside from hangovers and whatnot).  When distilled it comes out in high enough concentrations to act as the optical nerve poison that it is.

The breadth of knowledge on the board doesn't surprise me. It's how we all manage to have discussions while generally remaining civil.

Indeed.  There is also a good deal of info about patios.

Regarding methanol, it isn't really a byproduct of alcohol so much as it different starches being converted to an alcohol by the yeast.  Methanol ("wood alcohol") is made in a slightly different process than Ethanol ("grain alcohol").  They also have very similar but different distillation points, which is why you throw out the first part of a distillation.

Ethanol is metabolized into acetaldehyde, which our bodies know how to deal with because humans have had thousands of years of eating rotten fruit.  Methanol, on the other hand, gets metabolized into formaldehyde, which is generally bad news.  Not the methanol itself.

The old time preventative for methanol poisoning was IV ethanol, to saturate your body's ability to metabolize the alcohol so you pee it out instead.  The current method is a drug that basically inhibits your ability to process alcohol, methanol OR ethanol.  Take that drug and a six pack of beer would have you rip-roaring drunk for a week.  (So I am told)

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
7/22/19 12:14 p.m.

You can't shut off a diesel engine while buying more vape juice in your Mall-rated brodozer with a shocker window decal.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/22/19 12:15 p.m.

You'll go blind.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/22/19 12:17 p.m.

OMG, half of the things my wife says! 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
7/22/19 12:18 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Brett_Murphy said:
Hungary Bill said:
Nope,not a typo.  Methanol exists as a biproduct of fermentation in all beers and wines.  It's the reason why you have to throw off the first stuff that comes out of a still.  In beers and wines it's concentration is low enough to be relatively harmless (aside from hangovers and whatnot).  When distilled it comes out in high enough concentrations to act as the optical nerve poison that it is.

The breadth of knowledge on the board doesn't surprise me. It's how we all manage to have discussions while generally remaining civil.

Indeed.  There is also a good deal of info about patios.

Regarding methanol, it isn't really a byproduct of alcohol so much as it different starches being converted to an alcohol by the yeast.  Methanol ("wood alcohol") is made in a slightly different process than Ethanol ("grain alcohol").  They also have very similar but different distillation points, which is why you throw out the first part of a distillation.

Ethanol is metabolized into acetaldehyde, which our bodies know how to deal with because humans have had thousands of years of eating rotten fruit.  Methanol, on the other hand, gets metabolized into formaldehyde, which is generally bad news.  Not the methanol itself.

The old time preventative for methanol poisoning was IV ethanol, to saturate your body's ability to metabolize the alcohol so you pee it out instead.  The current method is a drug that basically inhibits your ability to process alcohol, methanol OR ethanol.  Take that drug and a six pack of beer would have you rip-roaring drunk for a week.  (So I am told)

Came for the wives tales, left with an education.

But, um.... I'm gonna need the name of that there medicine laugh

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
7/22/19 12:21 p.m.

Morning sickness means you're going to have a baby with lots of hair.  If you carry the baby high, it'll be a boy.  Carry it low, it'll be a girl...

You know what?  Just about everything pregnancy related.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
7/22/19 12:21 p.m.

ooh!  carrots for eye sight

jharry3
jharry3 HalfDork
7/22/19 1:46 p.m.

High school, mid '70's.

These kids that thought they knew all about cars used to tell me stuff.   One kid thought that a 300 hp engine was always putting out 300 hp.  I would try to explain hp and torque curves to him, showed him graphs,  but it was useless.    

One kid kept blowing his engine, spinning bearings, burning oil, etc and rebuilding.  No machining, no fitting of parts, no checking of bearing clearances.  Just put in the new parts and letting it rip.    I told him he would save so much money if he just did it right one time but noooooooo, machinists cost money. 

One guy took out the rear shocks of his Gran Torino because he didn't like the "rough" ride.    I guess he did like the rocking and rolling while driving plus severe nose dive when he braked.   Same guy challenged a 426 hemi Dodge to a drag race.  I'm like "no dude, don't do it, you will embarrass  yourself".   It wasn't pretty, my buddy couldn't look me in the eye the rest of the night.

My favorite was a kid who insisted that when you slammed on the brakes you stopped RIGHT THERE where you hit the brakes.  No travel, just instant stop.    This kid had a driver's license and drove around, stopped, etc but still insisted that slamming on the brakes was this magical instant stop button.       I gave up on him as well.   

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/22/19 1:50 p.m.

Red sky at night, sailors delight.

Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/22/19 2:04 p.m.

I had a guy in HS try to convince me that his 78 4 door Granada was faster and quicker than his girlfriends mothers new Omni GLHS because his car had a V8 and was an automatic.  No amount of trying to convince him made any difference.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
7/22/19 2:04 p.m.
jharry3 said:

High school, mid '70's.

These kids that thought they knew all about cars used to tell me stuff.   One kid thought that a 300 hp engine was always putting out 300 hp.  I would try to explain hp and torque curves to him, showed him graphs,  but it was useless.    

One kid kept blowing his engine, spinning bearings, burning oil, etc and rebuilding.  No machining, no fitting of parts, no checking of bearing clearances.  Just put in the new parts and letting it rip.    I told him he would save so much money if he just did it right one time but noooooooo, machinists cost money. 

One guy took out the rear shocks of his Gran Torino because he didn't like the "rough" ride.    I guess he did like the rocking and rolling while driving plus severe nose dive when he braked.   Same guy challenged a 426 hemi Dodge to a drag race.  I'm like "no dude, don't do it, you will embarrass  yourself".   It wasn't pretty, my buddy couldn't look me in the eye the rest of the night.

My favorite was a kid who insisted that when you slammed on the brakes you stopped RIGHT THERE where you hit the brakes.  No travel, just instant stop.    This kid had a driver's license and drove around, stopped, etc but still insisted that slamming on the brakes was this magical instant stop button.       I gave up on him as well.   

You know, when I look back in time I really do miss "lore".  Before the internet there were legends, and lore, and all sorts of things people just believed that weren't true but they were really cool to think about in that way and there was nothing to prove them otherwise.  Example:  "Rendezvous" (the car driving through paris).  When that came out people knew two things.  the first was that the director just gave his driver a ferrari and said "get from this side of town to that side as fast as you can".  The second was, the director was immediately arrested after the films release, and he never gave up his drivers name.

thats cool.  I like that sort of stuff.  In fact, I still think about it that way when I watch the movie.

But the stuff you listed.  yeah, I dont miss that one bit.  I ran into a lot of that growing up.  Mostly it came from my step-dad, who seems to think in the exact opposite of what is actually going to happen.  Examples:

When I put an aftermarket stereo in my car:  all that amperage that this new fangled stereo was drawing was just ABSOLUTELY going to ruin all my other electricals.  headlights, turn signals, horn... they were all doomed and he just knew it.

When I put an eledbrock intake manifold on my truck (retaining the stock quadrajet, because I was too broke to replace the carb too).  He just KNEW that "that high pressure manifold you got on there is going to destroy your bottom end..."

Do you have any idea how much I reading I had to do before the internet to prove that stuff wrong???  That took FOREVER!  and the whole time you're thinking "that cant be right, can it?".  It's definitely not like now when i can just google "what the heck is this old man on about this time?"

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/22/19 5:39 p.m.
Javelin said:

Red sky at night, sailors delight.

Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.

There actually is a certain amount of truth to that one.  https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/weather-sailor.html

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/22/19 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

Doing some refresher reading, I was wrong.  The methanol and the formaldehyde can be dealt with in small quantities by your body, since they both can evaporate and be passed out of your lungs.  (SMALL quantities, like the microgram levels of methanol that naturally occur in fruits and veggies)  When the formaldehyde is broken down into formic acid, though, is when you really run into trouble.

Also, that chemical I was talking about?  When it works, it also has the effect of making you extremely sensitive to alcohol, like as much as cats and other non fruit eating animals, and for the same reason.  Half a glass of beer would make you violently ill.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/22/19 7:19 p.m.

Not an old wives tail, but an interesting tidbit.

A bullet shot out of a level rifle will hit the ground the same time as a bullet that is dropped from the same height. 

Wives tail....   steel  rims are stronger than aluminum rims.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/22/19 7:31 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Not an old wives tail, but an interesting tidbit.

A bullet shot out of a level rifle will hit the ground the same time as a bullet that is dropped from the same height. 

(The gun is of course assumed to be perfectly aligned tangentially to the center of mass of the planet, we will have to assume a perfectly flat planet also)

That’s actually not entirely correct.  Both are affected by gravity the same way, so they “fall” at the exact same rate, but since the bullet (depending on gun and it elevation above the ground) travels a distance, the curvature of the earth will make it have to fall farther.

Also, if the bullet somehow achieves orbital or escape velocity (virtually impossible near the surface on earth, but on the moon, MUCH easier) it will never touch the ground.

cheeky

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/22/19 7:43 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Not stronger, but they fail a lot more gracefully in response to radial load, sometimes in ways that can keep the air in the tire wink

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/22/19 7:43 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

That is kind of what escape velocity is.... you fall as fast as the ground is falling away from you.

I don't think the curvature of the planet has anything to do with rifle rounds, realistically speaking.  Even at close distances (on a planetary scale) you have to elevate them noticably.

There is a match in England held on a 2300 yard field.  I can't imagine seeing something 2300 yards away, let alone trying to hit it with some old "smellie"...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/22/19 7:45 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

It's a crappy gun...

Or a hand gun.  Did you see the episode of myth busters where they actually dis this?  It was actually pretty well done.

Obviously a high powered rifle will not follow the earth curvature, so it won't, but still mostly true.

Wives tail....  the earth is not flat.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/22/19 7:46 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Not stronger, but they fail a lot more gracefully in response to radial load, sometimes in ways that can keep the air in the tire wink

They do fail more gracefully, but at a load that is significantly less than an aluminum wheel will shrug off.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
7/22/19 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Don't they use scopes?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/22/19 7:58 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to aircooled :

That is kind of what escape velocity is.... you fall as fast as the ground is falling away from you.....

That's orbital velocity.  Escape velocity is when when the "falling" in a gravity well will eventually go to zero before the velocity does.

wink

Torkel
Torkel Reader
7/22/19 10:31 p.m.

Turning the steering wheel while your car is standing still wears out the tires.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/22/19 10:35 p.m.
aircooled said:
Knurled. said:

In reply to aircooled :

That is kind of what escape velocity is.... you fall as fast as the ground is falling away from you.....

That's orbital velocity.  Escape velocity is when when the "falling" in a gravity well will eventually go to zero before the velocity does.

wink

That's the best kind of correct!

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/23/19 8:18 a.m.
Torkel said:

Turning the steering wheel while your car is standing still wears out the tires.

I don’t know that it will wear them out, but it does wear on them. Look around any shop where the tech turns the wheel without moving the car, you will see black rubber marks on the ground. That’s tire wear. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bPjTlzcT7e5PMw06kd6iCvG80Tukqn8ZXDeD4TbUr5sgFoQNlTFf7232vpo4TRP5