joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
2/9/19 12:12 p.m.

I titled this standalone, but i think it should be external.  In the goal of offloading a bunch of GoPro type videos and photos and such, will I notice much of a difference in performance between a solid state drive and a regular drive external drive?  Im wondering if when being run through a USB it really makes much difference.  Standard is much cheaper, though both are pretty affordable.

Thanks!

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
2/9/19 12:16 p.m.

for standalone storage, I'd go old school all the way. SSD are unrecoverable. 

As long as you're using USB 3.0 ports, typically blue in color, transfer speed won't be an issue regardless. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/9/19 12:32 p.m.

How will it be handled? Ssd drives put up with physical abuse better than magnetic drives. No moving parts to crash. If you’re going to be throwing it in travel bags and tossing the bag around go ssd. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/9/19 1:47 p.m.

In either case, make sure the files are backed up elsewhere on top of the external drive.

A 10,000rpm drive is pretty quick on writes, which is where the SSD is a little less quick.  SSD really excels at reads.

The USB interface will slow performance to the point that I'd look at an E-SATA if possible on your system, otherwise I'd go with a regular hard drive and just make sure it isn't moved while the plates are spinning (so give it a moment after disconnecting before you move it, etc.)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/9/19 5:19 p.m.

You can get HUGE conventional drives now for cheap.  USB 3 is pretty damn fast.  

I really don’t see any reason to use an SSD in your case.  The fastest you can get it out of the go pro (or card reader) is USB 3, and it doesn’t take much of a drive to keep up with that. Just make sure it’s a USB 3 drive (hard to find otherwise these days).  Your computer will need to support USB 3 of course.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/10/19 8:55 a.m.

An SSD will be faster and is more resilient against physical damage, but they're much more expensive for the same size and they tend to fail unrecoverably and without warning. So I think a HDD makes more sense.

Definitely get something with a USB3 interface.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ukGqxFRo8WUkErlFn2Ht2hMYPh6m1NA4uoXzLSLWws5mfxUyylCqVtaguNW26Yty