2 3 4
N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/2/12 11:44 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
poopshovel wrote: In two weeks, no one will care. I'm disappointed in Huckabee, 90 some odd days before the election. Is this really an effective use of time and influence?
Maybe you feel that way because your view of marriage isn't as important to you as it is to some of us. I wouldn't be surprised if Huckabee would say that it's more important than any political matter, and I agree.
I mean this very sincerely: Go berkeley yourself, you worthless condescending piece of E36 M3.

Now, poop, he might be right. I know how important my view of marriage is to me.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/2/12 11:45 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: 93EXCivic : “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” -Winston Churchill.

Look at the way polls are going. Every year the support for gay marriage is going up.

Also usually I can see the other side of the political argument. I mean I can see the other side of abortion, welfare, etc. I may not agree with them but I can see some sense in the argument. I haven't seen a single good argument for opposing gay marriage that didn't start with the bible but since the 1st amendment exist I don't give those any credit.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
8/2/12 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

Please refrain from bolding E36 M3.......it hurts my eyes on the computer screen.....

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/2/12 11:48 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: 93EXCivic : “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” -Winston Churchill.

Winston Churchill never actually said that, or even really any version of it. And it "liberal" and "conservative" have very different meanings other than non-religious v. religious.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
8/2/12 11:50 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Look at the way polls are going. Every year the support for gay marriage is going up.

Because more people are tired of hearing about it every year.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/2/12 11:51 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I support the free speech of CFA. I do not support them donating money to anti-gay groups.

This statement makes no sense.

According to the Supreme Court, money IS speech. They can't be separated.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/2/12 11:51 a.m.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."

-Theodore Roosevelt

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/2/12 11:54 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: I support the free speech of CFA. I do not support them donating money to anti-gay groups.
This statement makes no sense. According to the Supreme Court, money IS speech. They can't be separated.

Doesn't matter what they think. I don't see them as the same. Thats MY belief. I never said they didn't have the right to do it. If that means you think I don't support their right to free speech, so be it.

Let me boil it down. I believe the KKK has a right to their belief. I believe KFC has a right to their belief. If KFC supported the KKK, no problem. If they gave money to the KKK, I will not support them with my cash.

Get it???

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/2/12 11:56 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
This statement makes no sense. According to the Supreme Court, money IS speech. They can't be separated.

I believe what he's saying is: "I support CFA's right to believe and say what they want. I do not support the actions they are taking by donating money to organizations that are actively trying to legislate against a certain group of people."

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/2/12 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

bingo

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/2/12 11:58 a.m.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/2/12 12:06 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
SVreX wrote:
Doesn't matter what they think. I don't see them as the same. Thats MY belief. I never said they didn't have the right to do it. If that means you think I don't support their right to free speech, so be it.

It is astounding that in the same post you claim that it "doesn't matter what the Supreme Court thinks" (on a matter of Constitutional interpretation), yet proclaim your support of CFA's right to free speech.

What are you talking about???

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/2/12 12:09 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I edited it. Read it again. You're misunderstanding.

Then read up on exodus international and the "kill the gays" bill.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/2/12 12:10 p.m.

He's talking about the difference between holding a particular set of beliefs for yourself (which is Constitutionally protected, and also completely acceptable to him) and taking action to restrict the freedoms of others (which may or may not be Constitutionally protected, and which is completely UNacceptable to him).

And assuming I have it right, I agree.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/2/12 12:13 p.m.

...aaaand we're done here.

Remember, free speech means popular AND unpopular speech is protected, so yay America for allowing us to have this discussion.

Boo some of you guys for believing you have to be rude to get your point across. Let's all sing together: "Thread lock!"

Margie

2 3 4

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
qqdBHBp9xhnArJkDxqklLb05GN57KelvyQOOGml7Ng94Cfy2hBtayBOlBKzQ75Sw