1 2 3
EricM
EricM HalfDork
1/28/09 1:58 p.m.

I did a search and couldn't find anythign on this, I am sure it has been discussed before though... In another thread I referenced my/my father's sailboat so that is what prompted this.

anyway, what are your other hobbies?

for me, I sail hereis the sailboat -> http://las-go-around.blogspot.com

I am the staff advisor for the University of Illinois Sailing club as well, we sail on Clinton lake in Central Illinois.

So, whatcha got?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/28/09 2:00 p.m.

I think this is what you were looking for: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/site-search/?q='other+hobbies'

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/28/09 2:05 p.m.

Sweet! I was on the sailing team when I went to school at Monterey. We sailed FJ-15's, and were way more hardcore than other schools, since we were pretty much the only ones that practiced in open water.

Now, my other big two hobbies are Rock Climbing and Dancing.

I do mostly indoor rock-climbing, but do boulder outside occasionally. For dancing, I like partner dances. Mostly swing and Argentine Tango. I hate ballroom crap. Of late, I've been really into Blues dancing, very sexy and improvisational.

All-in-all, I like kinesthetic activities that require smoothness, thinking ahead, and the ability to improvise. I dance with beautiful wimmens, hot cars, and hard rocks.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/28/09 2:07 p.m.

I may like to race cars, but my real hobby is to be on the other side of it. I like being on the inside.

I know it isn't really a hobby, but I really like watching movies, and listening to music...I have seen more movies than anyone I know, and I have about 20 days of music on my computer.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
1/28/09 2:10 p.m.

freestyle BMX FTW

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/28/09 2:12 p.m.

Music/movies. I'm a "budget" audiophile and am always picking up nifty knickknacks. I started out just with an Onkyo reciever and some Infinity floor standers and it's ballooned from there to the point that i have two dedicated 2 channel rigs and a surround sound setup.

And on the what may be considered "fruity" side... i like working on houses, specifically interiors. Wall paneling, painting, layout, etc....

Used to be big into rock climbing, love skiing and biking. (trail not road)

EricM
EricM HalfDork
1/28/09 2:20 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: I think this is what you were looking for: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/site-search/?q='other+hobbies'

Well when I did a search on "other hobbies" I got a blank page. Maybe you got some super special access that I don't have.

I think this thread will have wings though.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
1/28/09 2:20 p.m.

Although I haven't done it in a while I was really into Scuba diving. The rest of the world doesn't exist when your underwater.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
1/28/09 2:26 p.m.

I know it sounds sad but cars are the hobby, Being a dad and a good employee are my jobs.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
1/28/09 2:27 p.m.

Flying ~THIS~

Building ~Model Steam Engines~

Reading The New York Times

Smithwick's

Beatin' the crap out of my little brothers.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
1/28/09 2:28 p.m.

I have a basement full of woodworking tools. This hobby can be as expensive as racing my Miata (if not more). Since there is over a foot of snow outside right now, I'm not racing any time soon. I will be sucking sawdust tonight, though.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
1/28/09 2:35 p.m.

I race sailboats (I crew for phrf racing) and ride horses. I keep getting hurt on the horse....

ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
1/28/09 2:44 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I know it sounds sad but cars are the hobby, Being a dad and a good employee are my jobs.

Agreed. I am in the same boat, so to speak. After work, taking care of my kid (and all of his activities on week-end), taking care of the cars (mine and my wife's) and fixing minor stuff around the house that break, I barely have enough time to autocross...and may be occasionally, like once every two months, play golf.

Sounds like a typical married life

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
1/28/09 2:49 p.m.

Riding my fixed gear, playing Halo 3 with my friends, drifting my RC car.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/28/09 2:55 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I know it sounds sad but cars are the hobby, Being a dad and a good employee are my jobs.

My story too...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
1/28/09 3:07 p.m.

Shootin' and drinkin'.

I go to the range periodically and out with some guys I know who collect vintage WW2 stuff.

I also like drinking beer and sometimes mixing it with eating cheese. Beer and cheese go together like rubber and pavement.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/28/09 3:08 p.m.

I used to ride dirt bikes all the time. It's still way up on my list of interests but the way fambly and work go I can either race cars or ride dirt bikes but not both. So, I race cars. I also have a real love for metal fabrication which goes right back to building race cars.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/28/09 3:25 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Flying ~THIS~

Sweet! I was almost going to ask you if that was an air-knocker... then I noticed your screen name.

I learned in a PA-16 Piper Clipper.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/28/09 3:32 p.m.

Beer drinkin' is a hobby? Well shoot........ pop a top!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
1/28/09 3:52 p.m.

winter: riding the rollers

spring/summer/fall: mountain biking, road biking, biking around the neighborhood with my 7-year-old.

anytime: home improvement projects when my wife's not telling me how to do it or how it shouldn't take so long.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
1/28/09 3:58 p.m.

Electonics/microcontollers & embedded programming, running/hiking, reading, shooting.

WilD
WilD Reader
1/28/09 4:03 p.m.

I collect old and unique paintball guns and occasionally attempt to restore/rebuild them.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Dork
1/28/09 4:05 p.m.

Drinkin' and Craigslist. Hopefully not in that order

I also like to build models, woodworking and rallyX.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
1/28/09 4:06 p.m.

I collect molds, spores, and fungus

P71
P71 HalfDork
1/28/09 4:13 p.m.

Race and collect HO Scale slot cars, especially the vintage Thunderjet and original AFX stuff. The AFX and Super G-Plus lines had some of the best HO Scale F1 and sports cars ever.

Build 1/24-1/25 scale model cars. Since I can't own them all in real life I have to build them small. Most of my models are highly modified but I do enjoy buying old built-ups and restoring them to "factory stock", especially the Johan AMC stuff. My new kits all end up with twin turbos, custom built roll cages and chassis stiffening, and engine swaps. I like em wild

I also play Warhammer 40K. We have a 4-month "off" season up here with no racing so I watch football (go Arizona!) and play these tournaments. I really should play year-round as I'm really good and actually win schwag.

I also love Legos, though I haven't touched them in ages. I'm actually a lifetime Lego club member if that tells you something...

I guess I just like to build stuff no matter how big or small it is. Shoulda been an engineer...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yk5u5H6UF6EjJ4QU0hxyZB65pZZGkbLNeJH7cp5LIqTjj7ef6pxAq9QzDFNIyuNV