1 2
TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/1/09 10:06 a.m.

As an avid craigs list junkie, I am always amused by some of the ads that the asking price just seems so far out of line with the vehicle. We've had threads on here before about the $4k dream car scams, but I am talking the opposite case....the case where the owner is just a bit too proud of their wares.

Here is one I saw today that made me laugh...

cl link

I like old bronco's, but come on $2,000? For what amounts to pieces parts.

post your finds..

spdracer315
spdracer315 New Reader
8/1/09 10:22 a.m.

For $500 id buy it and drive it exactly the way it is in the BABE rally next year.

ok, i guess id have to add lights, but thats it!

curtis73
curtis73 HalfDork
8/2/09 2:36 a.m.

There was a guy here in Austin trying to sell a 199x Beretta with "mods" for $4000 and 222k miles. I wrote to him and offered $250. Over the course of several months it has dropped down in the $1800 range but still no takers.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
8/2/09 5:20 a.m.

lol, It sounds like he kept dumping parts at the bronco till he realized the body was going to need some work... then figured he would get him money back.

Turns out cars aren't always worth quite the money you poured into them...

TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/2/09 7:49 a.m.
nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
8/2/09 1:06 p.m.
TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/2/09 5:49 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: this is pretty bad

But it's suped up and just needs paint..

TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/2/09 5:53 p.m.

This guy wants a truck and he will pay in used toilets!

link

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
8/2/09 6:26 p.m.
TJ wrote: another one

I'll bet Mark Martin would give anyone two autographs free.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen New Reader
8/3/09 9:35 a.m.

This guy is asking $3700 for a 240 Z with some pretty "questionable" bodywork $$$ Datsun abomination

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
8/3/09 10:03 a.m.

In reply to dimeadozen:

>>This guy is asking $3700 for a 240 Z with some pretty "questionable" bodywork $$$ Datsun abomination

That bodywork is the old Jim Cook racing "California Z" widebody kit. Make in the late 70's early 80's. Back in the day that was very popular IMSA style. I used to lust after it.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
8/3/09 10:14 a.m.
TJ wrote: This guy wants a truck and he will pay in used toilets! link

WIN!

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
8/3/09 10:23 a.m.

This is my current, local favorite. It is a decent looking Porsche 1987 924S, but the best part is that the owner is raising the price! It started off at $3,900 and is now $4,500. Hurry...buy before the price goes up again!

Rapidly appreciating 924S

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
8/3/09 10:52 a.m.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1299880427.html

34.5MPG LS400.

Funny. I never got over 29MPG in mine on the highway @ 60MPH.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen New Reader
8/3/09 12:33 p.m.

In reply to RandyS:

Looking again, I think it's the rectangular headlights that are the "questionable" part- IMHO, round ones look far better, and are a signature styling feature. Where/how were front turn signals supposed to mount on the Jim Cook kit?

When I bought my Z, the PO had installed 4 rectangular driving lights in the grille opening much like this car.

Looking at the photos again, I wonder how much rust might be in the pass. side rocker panel though. Also, look at the rear valence- in addition to the bumper mounting points, it does have a lumpy (Bondo?) appearance to it. I'm not sure how much of that is splotchy primer though ?

TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/3/09 12:40 p.m.

I wouldn't pay $3700 for that z, but someone might.

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
8/3/09 3:27 p.m.

omg

Even at one grand I think this dude is on the pipe. Maybe you could salvage the vin?

TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/3/09 3:48 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: omg Even at one grand I think this dude is on the pipe. Maybe you could salvage the vin?

When they say two owner car...they are pushing the envelope for what constitutes a car with that one!

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 HalfDork
8/3/09 3:59 p.m.

$3k for a 92 Volvo 240 Station Wagon with 220k miles? Whatever this person is smoking should be sold on the streets...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1297034521.html

Cotton
Cotton Reader
8/3/09 4:05 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: omg Even at one grand I think this dude is on the pipe. Maybe you could salvage the vin?

I have to admit I paid 600 for a similar condition 72. The body was slightly better, but it had a junk 350 in it, so no value there. The 70-73 Firebirds have several parts unique to those years, so it was cheaper for me to buy the whole car as opposed to trying to find all the parts I needed.
Granted the one in the link is a 74, but if the 455 is actually a decent rebuildable core it wouldn't take long for some of the few good parts left to add up. Looks like the hood and shaker assembly might be okay too. If it has a good posi rear, front and rear swaybars, etc, it could turn into a decent parts car. I'd still want to pay less than asking though.

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
8/3/09 5:35 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
I have to admit I paid 600 for a similar condition 72. The body was slightly better, but it had a junk 350 in it, so no value there. The 70-73 Firebirds have several parts unique to those years, so it was cheaper for me to buy the whole car as opposed to trying to find all the parts I needed. Granted the one in the link is a 74, but if the 455 is actually a decent rebuildable core it wouldn't take long for some of the few good parts left to add up. Looks like the hood and shaker assembly might be okay too. If it has a good posi rear, front and rear swaybars, etc, it could turn into a decent parts car. I'd still want to pay less than asking though.

I guess I still have an early ninety's mindset when it comes to these cars. Maybe I need to realize that almost twenty years have past since I have messed with any second gen T/A's. After taking a second look at it there could be some value for what little is left. It still seems to me like a $150 parts car. Wonder if it has a title?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/3/09 5:38 p.m.

Seems to me that ALL of the CL personal ads are overly optimistic.

Oh, you meant ads for CARS. Sorry.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
8/3/09 6:57 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Feeling burned on your last encounter with Frank?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/3/09 7:30 p.m.
InigoMontoya wrote: In reply to SVreX: Feeling burned on your last encounter with Frank?

I sure hope you are referring to an oversized tractor with a bad attitude, and not some very happy 400 lb. fella in a speedo.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
8/3/09 8:08 p.m.

In reply to dimeadozen:

The square headlights were part of the original kit too, they were the part of the orginal kit that I never liked, I always prefered the CG flares on s30 cars. If I remember correctly, the kit added 280z style turn signals in the grill area.

Chris Rummel

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ro9x2QumJ4OPdqCwzpMdJKvjxzJ0BuM5EvP2qqHhBwfN0u3xpwHu0etawQjlbccD