1 2 3
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
4/7/20 9:58 a.m.

Sort of

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/04/michigan-police-relax-enforcement-of-speeding-other-minor-violations-during-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Police in Michigan’s most-populated counties are relaxing enforcement of speeding and other minor traffic offenses to lower the risk of exposure for officers working in communities hit hard by the coronavirus.

Wayne County and Oakland County have the largest concentration of confirmed COVID-19 cases and account for nearly three-quarters of all cases found across the state so far. Sheriff’s offices in both counties are taking steps to protect their deputies and citizens from the potential spread of infectious respiratory disease, which killed nearly 1,500 people as of Sunday.

Mike Jaafar, chief of operations at the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office, said the threat of COVID-19 is at the top of his mind. Two members of the department infected with the virus have already died.

“I’m not a proponent of going out there right now,” Jaafar said. "Unless you’re doing something blatant and affecting the safety of others, we’re warning folks as best we can and making sure folks understand social distancing is a priority."

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard directed deputies to relax enforcement of low-priority offenses. Dispatchers are also asking callers about whether anyone at a scene is showing symptoms of COVID-19.

Bouchard said he wants deputies to avoid face-to-face contact when able, but that doesn’t mean the sheriff’s office won’t respond to an emergency.

“I want to be clear, our agency is 100% responsive,” Bouchard said. “If you’re in need, you have an emergency or something going on, if there’s a crime in progress, we’re coming the same way, we always used to and always will.”

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/7/20 12:10 p.m.

I noticed in Ohio that the troopers were everywhere but doing nothing proactively. Cars steaming by at 80 didn't do anything and in Ohio that's actually a big deal

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/20 12:29 p.m.

I mean, I get it, but why on earth would would these departments ANNOUNCE that they are choosing not to enforce laws? 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
4/7/20 12:35 p.m.

I was surprised to see one of WaCo's finest waving around his Lidar yesterday. He must have a full face respirator and lots of sanitizer.......

drainoil
drainoil Dork
4/7/20 12:36 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

I mean, I get it, but why on earth would would these departments ANNOUNCE that they are choosing not to enforce laws? 

Transparency. Especially since Ferguson a few years ago.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
4/7/20 2:43 p.m.

I recently read an article that a fairly large number of motorists here in the SF Bay Area just can’t seem to control themselves now that much of the traffic has vanished. Lots of 100mph+ tickets. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/7/20 3:15 p.m.

If Gemballa GT owners can't control themselves, during these times, do we expect IP BROs in their Teslas in SF or Rust Bucket Michigan car owners control themselves?

https://jalopnik.com/guy-takes-pandemic-opportunity-to-rip-through-nyc-stree-1842727639

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/20 4:02 p.m.

I'd buy a "speeding permit" for the duration . . .

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/7/20 4:40 p.m.

Uhh, the C7 needs to stretch it's legs - I know a few spots locally! 

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/20 5:23 p.m.

I may, or may not, have sort of accidently wound the Miata out to something that was approaching triple digits on the entrance ramp to I75 yesterday...  I blame the GTI behind me.  His car was much faster than mine and I just wanted to get out of his way.

Also, that was a much longer process in the Miata than in the Neon.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/7/20 5:33 p.m.

I've noticed the average cruising speed on the 401 has gone clean up to 120kph since the lockdown started. A while ago I apparently ran into some traffic that brought everyone down to 90 - it was a police truck parked at the side of the highway, everyone went right back up to 120 after passing it.

former520
former520 HalfDork
4/7/20 7:42 p.m.

I thought in Michigan the pot holes stopped you from speeding?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/7/20 8:49 p.m.

I'd love to test this idea on the highways around Chicagoland, but I'll be dammed if I'm the beta tester for it. My luck, I go to jail. Like jail jail.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/8/20 10:25 a.m.
former520 said:

I thought in Michigan the pot holes stopped you from speeding?

We dodge potholes as autocross training.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
4/8/20 10:28 a.m.

There are no cops on the roads right now. I haven't seen one on any of the long trips I've taken to the supermarket since lockdown.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/8/20 10:37 a.m.

I saw a lot of cops out last week in Michigan, with people pulled over,  when I had to make a couple of trip to the (empty) office for work.  That was during what would normally be 'rush hour' but the roads were empty.  Cops never normally pull people over at that time of day.  Safer and less disruption to let the traffic flow at it's normal 80mph.  Not been out this week so I can't comment.  

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/8/20 10:44 a.m.

I had to run to the shop early Monday to plot some drawings, there were plenty of MA staties sitting out in open locations.   My general observation is there's a whole segment of drivers that really need to up their skill sets.   For example, with two left lanes open on a 4 lane interstate why the need to rocket past me in the right lane like I'm sitting still?  (I was doing 70 in a 55 at that point and it wasn't just once.)  Not cool people, not cool.   

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/8/20 10:45 a.m.

the DC beltway was always faster than its speed limit, but without traffic and in the current situation...  well, I was going 85 in a 55 and being passed like I was standing still by some people with police only responding to accidents. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
4/8/20 11:16 a.m.

I’ve been to this movie before.

Several years ago, a cop killer was on the loose in the Big Bear Lake, CA area and basically 100% of LEO effort was being directed towards apprehending the perp. I managed to set a world land speed record between Sylmar and Thousand Oaks (42 miles total including surface street use on the front and back end in 30.5 minutes).

I’d love to shoot for sub thirty minutes but the RX-8 is gone and a CX-3 is now in its place plus I have no desire to visit an E.R. any time soon.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/8/20 11:31 a.m.
chaparral said:

There are no cops on the roads right now. I haven't seen one on any of the long trips I've taken to the supermarket since lockdown.

Around here, they have all called in sick. 

RX Reven' said:

I’ve been to this movie before.

Several years ago, a cop killer was on the loose in the Big Bear Lake, CA area and basically 100% of LEO effort was being directed towards apprehending the perp. I managed to set a world land speed record between Sylmar and Thousand Oaks (42 miles total including surface street use on the front and back end in 30.5 minutes).

I’d love to shoot for sub thirty minutes but the RX-8 is gone and a CX-3 is now in its place plus I have no desire to visit an E.R. any time soon.

118 is dead most of the time. From Madera to Thousand Oaks, most people are always speeding, 90mph+, even when there is no Covid. That said, on Rocky Peak and and sometimes on Tierra Rejada CHP will hide out and catch people. But given most of the drivers are Calabasas/Lake Sherwood famous people, B listers, cops let them go with a an autograph.

** Of course if you use the 101, thats a whole another story**

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
4/8/20 12:11 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Hi mr2s2000elise,

Yep, I used the 118 during the mid-day lull. FWIW, I respect public safety and didn’t drive crazy around others…I just unleashed the hounds when I was out in the open.

In addition to Rocky Peak & Tierra Rejada, there’s almost always a cop hiding under the 23 overpass and 90% of the time, he’s facing the 101.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/8/20 12:13 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

Hi mr2s2000elise,

Yep, I used the 118 during the mid-day lull. FWIW, I respect public safety and didn’t drive crazy around others…I just unleashed the hounds when I was out in the open.

In addition to Rocky Peak & Tierra Rejada, there’s almost always a cop hiding under the 23 overpass and 90% of the time, he’s facing the 101.

Yes, I got popped about 8 years ago, on my Ducati, doing triple digits right by the 23 overpass. It was the first time in my life I got pulled over for doing something so stupid. Given perfect record, ability to talk out of it, and being a Gold Level 11-99 donor, he let me go with a warning.  Still maintaining my perfectly clean record devil

I used to love the Topanga Canyon on ramp going westbound, to make pulls hard, and you get to the highway in triple digit, all the down to Kuehner. At that time Rocky Peak only had one on ramp. So cops could sit there, but wouldn't catch you. Now rocky peak has both ramps going both directions and CHP there is on both sides. Thus I do 65MPH going up the hill no

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
4/8/20 12:22 p.m.

I'm specifically in Westlake Village and Aircooled lives just a few miles away.  Maybe when the social distancing requirement gets lifted, we could do something fun...I've got a party boat on the lake BTW.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/8/20 12:25 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

I'm specifically in Westlake Village and Aircooled lives just a few miles away.  Maybe when the social distancing requirement gets lifted, we could do something fun...I've got a party boat on the lake BTW.

Excellent!!!!

I used to be off Townsgate for about 10 years. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
4/8/20 12:33 p.m.

It's a deal.

Small world, I'm looking at Townsgate from my bedroom window now.

I'm at the top of the hill in Village Homes near the intersection of Westlake Blvd. and Hampshire.

Aircooled, we've got company and he has cool toys cheeky 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PvlxV0ZgRU8MvoAMEKHd8Nyt7CLAdH6PAN5T0fRXLdcQeKfyNnhAOMHCN6mxCTGK