TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/23/20 6:48 p.m.

PC experts I desperately need help.

My work laptop - that I use for Solidworks and everything else in the world is crashing.  The computer is a Dell Precision 7510 - bought it new in 2017.  Ran out of warranty in Jan.

About a month ago it started acting flakey - wouldn't read an SD card properly.  And it was getting slow.  So I went to update drivers and all hell broke loose.  It started randomly going Blue Screen and "System Shutting Down".

I tried all the diagnostics and usual scans that I would normally do, but nothing worked and the crashes got more frequent.

I eventually replaced the SSD hard drive and set up a whole new fresh install of Win 10.  Still crashes.

I ran all the Boot-diagnostics and it showed no issues.  Still crashes.

I pulled one RAM card at a time and that didn't help.  Still crashes.

I monitored CPU and GPU temps, and they're normal.  Still crashes.

I was going to order a new motherboard off of e-bay today, and the seller says, "If you could install a new copy of windows, then the motherboard is probably fine."  But, you guessed it, it still crashes.

Video card gone bad?  Rats in the plumbing?  Corona-virus?

I'm pretty much at my wits-end.  I don't want to have to buy another $3000 laptop.  Please, any advice would be appreciated!

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
6/23/20 7:10 p.m.

Have you run the dell preboot diagnostics?  You can get those to run with the F12 boot menu, or by holding the function key while powering the system on.  I usually start there.

If the system is saving the memory dumps they'll be located at c:\windows\minidump .  I'd take a look at them if you could zip them and put them on dropbox / google drive / etc.

6/23/20 7:43 p.m.

I have run the dell preboot diagnostic, and it showed no problems.

There was nothing at that location - no folder or anything.  Is that something I can set up to log?

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
6/23/20 7:52 p.m.

Try running a live usb version of linux and see if it boots and is stable? This may also give you the ability to mount the hard drive and try to recover the dumps if windows won't stay up long enough to try and find them.

What stop code does the frowny bsod screen give you?

6/23/20 9:13 p.m.
minivan_racer said:

No frowny stop code at all.  Just does the "circling circles" and shuts down.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
6/23/20 9:36 p.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:
minivan_racer said:

No frowny stop code at all.  Just does the "circling circles" and shuts down.m

more commonly known as toilet bowling.....in my world of pueterz.....whenever i see the 'BLUE' screen of death I bail BIG time like 'power' off now...if the situation is still present upon reboot .....off to GEEK squad ....cuz I'm old...wink

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/23/20 9:58 p.m.

Battery/charging/power issue?

6/23/20 10:18 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

I tried running without the battery and that made no difference.

I'm using the factory power cord too.

Thinking I might try pulling the nvidia graphics card to see if that is the issue.

melissaazevedo
melissaazevedo New Reader
6/24/20 5:41 a.m.

have you tried Safe Mode? most probably you may be facing  one of these issues,

An outdated or misbehaving device driver.
Computer virus.
A corrupted program.
A problem with your computer's memory.
 Hard disk or motherboard is corrupted

6/24/20 5:07 p.m.

Well, this morning I tore the entire machine apart to get to the graphics card.  Removed that, and it even powered back up again.  A win there, in my book.

But it ran really bad.  Would open apps and then just freeze on them.  So I shut it down and rand the Bios diagnostic again.  Came up clean.

Restarted and now it seems to be behaving a whole lot better.  For the last week, it would crash when I started up the antivirus, or did anything that would load it up moderately.  It's running a full virus scan right now, and has been stable for a good three hours.  So the graphics card may be the culprit after all.

Fingers-crossed that this is forward motion...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0I3Yg9kDeqbZFMlSsVDiCUlT4RTV4ObGq31oPYLodglZVBmtg7o4P6SguSKIOvnt