pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/28/22 9:30 a.m.

I parked next to a Pontiac Torrent GXP yesterday, I have not seen one on the road in a very long time. I test drove one at a Chevy event when it was new and really liked it. Back then, Chevy had the Trailblazer SS and a Chevy version of the Torrent. It makes you wonder why GM, who released the Syclone and Typhoon along with these SUVs, is not a player in the performance SUV game today? They led the category, like they did with the EV1, then let others take over when the market got hot. Would the Urus and the Cayenne GT be here without GM leading the way? Where are the V8-powered Trailblazers and Blazers today? 

2/28/22 9:33 a.m.

Oh yeah, they also had the Vue Redline. 

2/28/22 9:35 a.m.

And while I am at it, the C8 powertrain would fit in the back of a Colorado just fine for a modern ZQ8 edition. OK, it would not have a functional bed, but come on...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/28/22 9:37 a.m.

The Saturn Vue Red Line was more of an appearance package.  The drivetrain was the same 3.5L Honda as the non Red Line Vue.  Sure, it was 3.5L (which is not a slouch) but all V6 Vues, which were a popular choice, had the same engine.  The was a 2.2L Saturn Vue also.   

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/28/22 9:42 a.m.

I've never been much of a GM fan, but I hardly pay attention to their product offerings anymore.   Other than the trucks, what would you say are the top five models in terms of sales?  I'm pretty sure I couldn't name five current GM models.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/28/22 9:50 a.m.

Because the 6.2 Escalade was already fast af for the time and were just a supercharger kit away from being ridiculous. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/28/22 9:51 a.m.

Don't forget the Trailblazer SS. Cool concept but unfortunately under all the goodies, it was still a Trailblazer, which was one of the most massive piles of E36 M3 that GM ever foisted on the public.

You could also make the argument that an Escalade was the performance trim of a Tahoe in the early days. It came with a rectangle-port 6.2L and 6-speed auto when most Tahoes had cathedral-port 5.3Ls and 4-speeds, it had MagneRide, low profile tires, and all-wheel drives.

Supposedly GM is planning to make an Escalade V-series that may or may not have the 650hp LT-4.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
2/28/22 10:23 a.m.

Trailblazer SS<Troll Blazer (SAAB 9-7x aero)

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/28/22 10:27 a.m.

It is a bit curious that GM chooses not to play in this area, given that their two natural competitors, Ford (Explorer and Edge ST) and Stellantis (SRT Grand Cherokees and Durangos) both do. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
2/28/22 11:01 a.m.

The Escalade V was already announced and is finally happening. Supercharged 6.2.

It should've happened in 2007 when they went to the 6.2. As was said above, mine with the 6.2 is already an excellent performer. I'd love to add that supercharger though.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/28/22 11:06 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Chevrolet Trailblazer SS came out in 2009. Porsche Cayenne Turbo came out in 2003.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/28/22 11:13 a.m.

I really want an optioned out Macan GTS. 

But I also don't have $100k to spend on a car and if I did, it would probably be something else. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/28/22 11:14 a.m.

GMC Typhoon?

STM317
STM317 UberDork
2/28/22 11:50 a.m.

The last gen Tahoe offered an "RST" trim level that came with the 6.2L/10spd trans combo, MagnaRide suspension and optional 16" diameter Brembo's up front with 6 piston calipers

2018 Chevrolet Tahoe RST First Drive Review

3/1/22 9:43 a.m.
Javelin said:

Chevrolet Trailblazer SS came out in 2009. Porsche Cayenne Turbo came out in 2003.

Oh see that's interesting, I was off on my timeline by a lot. Damn this middle-aged brain! 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/1/22 9:54 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:
Javelin said:

Oh see that's interesting, I was off on my timeline by a lot. Damn this middle-aged brain! 

Actually the SS came out in MY 2006, https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18202350/chevrolet-trailblazer-ss-mini-test-road-test/  According to the pedia of wiki, GMT360 was gone after MY 2008 in North America.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/10/22 3:28 p.m.

Well, here you go, GM just teased a Blazer SS EV for 2024 with the new Ultium battery pack that GM is producing at Lordstown. Sounds like it's supposed to be a Mach-E competitor.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-chevrolet-blazer-ss-ev-suv-preview-teaser/

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/10/22 4:54 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

Where are the V8-powered Trailblazers and Blazers today?

https://www.pullapart.com/

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/10/22 7:08 p.m.

There is a Torrent GXP that sits behind a boat in a driveway and has sat for years. I e stopped a few times to see what the deal is since they look so much better a little lower with no roof rack. No one ever home

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
3/10/22 7:59 p.m.

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
3/10/22 8:04 p.m.

2021 Durango gt popped up at my favorite towing auction here in Atlanta. Auctions Saturday,  weather might scrub that though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LGG4new7wRsBpLn9PnksvrrdQFZQoyCH3y2c5CgsKweMJNnIhfiW5aO3G8PfYBB1