1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/13/09 4:28 p.m.

Today's big non-pirate news: http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/13/phil.spector.verdict/index.html

Discuss.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
4/13/09 4:36 p.m.

Talentless hack kills hot chick, sodomy party planned in penal system.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/13/09 6:08 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Talentless hack kills hot chick, sodomy party planned in penal system.

I certainly wouldn't call him talentless. He was a revolutionary producer who inspired Brian Wilson (Beach Boys [duh])and Kevin Shields (of My Bloody Valentine).

However, he was a dangerous loose cannon with a penchant for pulling a gun on anyone who didn't agree with him.

It seems reasonable that he is getting put away.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
4/13/09 6:38 p.m.

Wow. LA finally prosecutes a celebrity successfully. Pigs are flying right over the house right now.

I've always been on the fence about Phil Spector. His mixes often end up muddy because everything is roughly the same volume. To me, Brian Wilson's productions were much cleaner but just as rich. Brian knew sometimes the music is not in the notes but the spaces in between. So I like his arranging much better.

Phil was probably the second guy (after Les Paul) to see the possibilities in layering instruments to make new sounds. Spector took layering to new levels with new and different combinations of instruments.

Whether Phil Spector was a genius or not, he was an a$$hole to almost everyone he knew. Drug use and his diminutive size made him paranoid and his penchant for waving firearms in people's faces keeps me wondering how this did not happen a long time ago.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
4/13/09 6:57 p.m.

Spector was an innovator with an idea, and considering the technology of the time he was considered brilliant. The problem is once everyone figured out what he was doing he was easily eclipsed. He attempted to make his post production work too busy and it always came off muddled and flat to me. Yes there were great sections of track on everything he did, but it is not like everything he touched was triple platinum. Yes he is responsible for shaping the sound of studio music but he wasn't wholly responsible for it.

Spector wasn't completely talentless and the actress wasn't completely hot.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
4/13/09 7:31 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Spector wasn't completely talentless and the actress wasn't completely hot.

But he DID manage to get himself elected to the Senate from Pennsylvania.

Oh, wait a minute. That's Arlen. Nev-er miiiind...

Run_Away
Run_Away New Reader
4/13/09 8:06 p.m.

Wasn't Phil Spector the guy that had the "lost" Cobra Daytona?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/13/09 8:10 p.m.

I'm surprised the PRC finally conviced a celeb. Is Hell freezing over?

Woody
Woody Dork
4/13/09 8:18 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I'm surprised the PRC finally convicted a celeb.

I expect white people to begin rioting any time now...

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/13/09 8:56 p.m.
Run_Away wrote: Wasn't Phil Spector the guy that had the "lost" Cobra Daytona?

Yes, weird story.

IIRC,Spector is the one that had all of the records painted on it.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/13/09 10:00 p.m.

Backstory??? ???? ?????

fifty
fifty New Reader
4/13/09 10:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Today's big non-pirate news: Discuss.

Phil Spector -vs- Ninjas: who would win?

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/13/09 10:36 p.m.

I want his awesome hairdos.

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
4/13/09 10:49 p.m.
gamby wrote:
Backstory??? ???? ?????

He had a the original prototype Cobra Daytona but he got so many speeding tickets he gave to his daughter so he wouldn't lose his license. It was then stored for a long time and just found recently. I saw it a few months ago at the Simeone Foundation (best museum in the world) in Philadelphia. We spent 4 hours looking through the 100 cars there and didn't see another person the entire time.

noodle
noodle New Reader
4/14/09 12:17 a.m.

http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=87

I believe he gave it to his body guards daughter...didn't she later commit suicide by dousing herself with gasoline and setting herself on fire? BTW, Phil deserve to be sent to Africa to attend the Somalian Pirate Academy

alex
alex Reader
4/14/09 12:38 a.m.

Spector's influence can't be overstated (Springsteen?) given the technology with which he was working and the time period in which he had his biggest influence, but he was certainly an 'eccentric' at best, a 'loose cannon' moderately, and a 'ticking time bomb' realistically. There's a story out there about his producing the Ramones and forcing them to replay the same four bars for six to eight hours straight until they got it 'right.'

It's a shame that a murder trial puts an otherwise legendary producer in the headlines.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
4/14/09 10:50 a.m.

From the outside it really is one of those "Man, come on now, is there anyway this guy DIDN'T do it" kind of situations.

Realistically I am a bit surprised. With enough money and time, you can pretty much create a reasonable doubt about ANYTHING.

Oh, and apparently his defense ($$$$) is now saying that allowing his former girlfriends (as in more than one) who were threatened to be shot in the head with loaded handguns by him to testify was prejudicial!!! Umm, ya!!!, of course it is!! Because he's a freakin' loon that likes to threaten to blow girls heads off!!! Showing that he had basically done the exact same thing many times before but didn't pull the trigger has NO relevance!?!?

P.S. - Anyone seen the full version of The Man Who Fell to Earth? Kind of a horrible movie actually, but one scene does make me wonder if that scene was inspired by the pubic haired midget.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/14/09 10:53 a.m.

Spector scared the crap out of the Ramones. I don't imagine they scared easily.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
4/14/09 10:59 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: I'm surprised the PRC finally convicted a celeb.
I expect white people to begin rioting any time now...

I've got to quit reading this board while I've got a beverage. I lose more keyboards that way.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/14/09 1:33 p.m.

berkeley. I knew better than to click on the link. Gawd, that guy's berkeleying scary looking.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/14/09 1:55 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: berkeley. I knew better than to click on the link. Gawd, that guy's berkeleying scary looking.

Oh...you shoulda seen the supafly fro that he had during the first trial......

getfast
getfast New Reader
4/15/09 7:42 a.m.
ratghia wrote: He had a the original prototype Cobra Daytona but he got so many speeding tickets he gave to his daughter so he wouldn't lose his license. It was then stored for a long time and just found recently. I saw it a few months ago at the Simeone Foundation (best museum in the world) in Philadelphia. We spent 4 hours looking through the 100 cars there and didn't see another person the entire time.

Finally had a chance to visit that place last week and it was awesome. My pics are here, including several of that car: http://www.get-fast.net/gallery/simeone/

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/15/09 7:52 a.m.

Wow--that Daytona looks amazing--dings, scrapes, dull paint and all. Original/period tires, too. That thing must be worth MILLIONS (in a stronger market).

getfast
getfast New Reader
4/15/09 7:58 a.m.

One of the very nice museum employees told us that Dr. Simeone recently turned down an offer of $10m for it.

The originality of it is, IMHO, the best part. Plus, even better, it runs and drives:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=519722

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
4/15/09 7:58 a.m.

Phil Spector -vs- Ninjas: who would win?

Spector! Unless the Ninjas were trained in Go-hun

( the ancient oriental art of hurling heavy metal projetiles at super sonic speed using gunpowder )

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XTjOXyFmGvg8pp9a2o62ZHDcPKpALaAvvpsvnIXFgA30GumVtFpIbrRCXd1V5lgN