ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/12/21 8:10 a.m.

Currently almost all aftermarket radios are out of stock.  My factory radio has bluetooth, but does not have stop/pause control.  WTF?!?!?!

Anyway, whats a good phone mount?  I don't want any cheap piece of E36 M3 that sticks in my vent, clips to a cd player slot, etc.  I'll happily drill through the dash where needed and install a hard mount, I'm just not sure what type I should be doing?  RAM 1" ball?  1/4-20 stud?

The dash looks like this: 

Is there a industrial grade solution to get the phone in a good spot where A) it won't all come crashing down a few months later and B) it doesn't block the A/C vent?

Wider view:

I'm thinking I could go right into the top of the instrument cluster above the right-most gauge?

wae
wae UberDork
7/12/21 8:17 a.m.

I've been using magnetic mounts for a couple years now and I absolutely love them.  I've just used the regular 3M-adhesive-backed flat discs on the Miata and the motorhome to install on a flat surface and haven't had any problems.  I tried an angled one on the truck, but I couldn't get it to stay attached for more than a couple months - but if you were willing to zip a couple screws into your dash, it would work great.  I know you don't want the cd-slot mount type, but I've been using one of those in the factory radio on my truck for the last year or so and it's been pretty awesome.  The expander jaws go into the slot and then I have a nice square magnet that I can stick my phone to. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/12/21 8:37 a.m.

So something like this?  https://www.amazon.com/MAGDMB-MagicMount-Universal-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B00I608BJ8

Have you ever had to change yours?  Does the adhesive come off if you want it to?  With my luck as soon as I did that, I would need to change phones or something and the new one wouldn't fit.

68TR250
68TR250 HalfDork
7/12/21 9:16 a.m.

Have you looked into ProclipUSA?  I use the mount for a car phone in my MINI and it is perfect for putting my fire radio on.   I also had one in my '03 Jetta that I used for the same reason.  I've pulled the trigger and have ordered one for the '18 Jetta and will use the phone mount in it. 

https://www.proclipusa.com/

wae
wae UberDork
7/12/21 9:17 a.m.

Yes,  I believe that is exactly what I had that wouldn't stay stuck to the top of my dash - the weight of the phone would pull it forward and down.  A couple little screws, however, and it would have been perfect.  I moved to this from the same manufacturer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYHD29Y

On the phone side, they come with these metal plates that stick on to the back of the phone or case.  You get a handful of extra plates and double-sided tape so you can switch up phones or cases.  I've taken the flush mount magnets off before and they came pretty clean.  I used some dental floss to cut through the double sided foam tape that held the little button to the dash and then some Goo Gone to get rid of the rest of the adhesive.  They also ship some extra adhesive pads so you can re-attach it.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/12/21 9:33 a.m.

I've been happy with these for the past decade or so.  I buy them at Walmart.  I always stick them to the windshield, but they come with a stick-on plate if you want to suction it to the dash instead.  I use my phone for the navigation a lot, so I want it more in my line of sight.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/12/21 9:53 a.m.
68TR250 said:

Have you looked into ProclipUSA?  I use the mount for a car phone in my MINI and it is perfect for putting my fire radio on.   I also had one in my '03 Jetta that I used for the same reason.  I've pulled the trigger and have ordered one for the '18 Jetta and will use the phone mount in it. 

Seconded for the van and thirded for the Bolt

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/12/21 10:12 a.m.
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/13/21 8:41 a.m.
tuna55 said:
68TR250 said:

Seconded for the van and thirded for the Bolt

At first I discounted these because I didn't like the positioning, but I think this one will work.  No ideal when using a GPS, but functional.  I was also a bit concerned about crash safety for the passenger, but realized it is plastic, not metal, and I see much much worse every day at work haha.

Angled Dash Mount large view

Anyway, I think I am going to get this, but it seems all the phone holders are 'traditional' and $$$$.  I'm trying to find a magnetic holder to pair with this bracket.  It looks like Scosche/Proclip make combos that work, by only for a few of the more popular models.  Why they don't just make the mounts more universal I don't understand - its just a 4 hole pattern.  

This appears to be the same mount, on its own, but I don't see the 4 attachment screws.  I can probably make it work, but bummer that it doesnt seem to be for sale separately.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
7/13/21 9:44 a.m.

+1 for Scosche magnet mount.

Now that I have a carplay enabled car I don't bother with phone mounts anymore but on all my previous cars I had a Scosche magnet/similar mount. They all work very well.

If you want real high grade stuff, check out RAM mounts. I'm getting one for my data logging phone for autocross.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/13/21 9:50 a.m.
hunter47 said:

+1 for Scosche magnet mount.

Now that I have a carplay enabled car I don't bother with phone mounts anymore but on all my previous cars I had a Scosche magnet/similar mount. They all work very well.

If you want real high grade stuff, check out RAM mounts. I'm getting one for my data logging phone for autocross.

I was actually hoping there was a ram magnetic mount.  Their mounting is very robust and they have a ton of options, but the actual part that grabs the phone is not so good.  Previously I got a tripod-case for my iphone (has 1/4-20 threaded holes in it) and threaded a ram-mount adapter into it for a rock solid autox mount.  But, that is tedious and not something you want to deal with on a DD.

68TR250
68TR250 HalfDork
7/13/21 12:56 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The mount you show in your image looks the same as the one in the MINI that I use for my fire radio now.

Not sure what the concern about the GPS is.  Before I started volunteering and because I am incredibly cheap, when the suction cup on my NUVI stopped sticking to the windshield, I mounted the NUVI onto the mount on the dash with VELCRO.  It worked great.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/13/21 12:57 p.m.

The GPS concern was more that its not a great location to be easily seen.  Nowhere near your line of sight when you are driving.  But for the occasional glance I suppose it will work.

johnsm87
johnsm87
10/31/21 3:19 a.m.

Why would you destroy your dashboard with a drill while you can always use your car's cup holder as a phone mount holder. There are phone mounts designed to fit in your cup holder. This type of phone mount is amazingly steady and has easy usability. I hope this helps.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
10/31/21 4:39 a.m.

I just ordered a Quad Lock for my phone after my adhesive magnetic swivel ball mount fell off yet again. It lands Monday or Tuesday and I can report back on its clunkiness or general suitability.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kilibaUpWK4302sO8UsvIQg8UBbTMNnUe9x14xlHlN2tWTIAudGAQAlYxcwYqoSf