ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/29/22 5:55 p.m.

I used to use lightroom all the time and loved it.  It was Lightroom 5, as in pre-cloud subscription and it served me well for ~10 years.  When I upgraded last year to a Sony camera, lightroom doesn't support its RAW files.  To upgrade I have to go to the Lightroom CC, which is $10 a month.  I am not a heavy user, so this fee is absurd to me.

I am not a heavy user, but also not a super advanced user, Darktable is total overkill.  I've been messing with it, but I am a bit overwhelmed.

Any recommendations for an alternative?  I usually need to tweak saturation, clarity, highlights, shadows, crop & rotate, etc.  I dont need fancy plugins or AI features (to my knowledge anyway).  I'm a casual user, but over the years being "ok" a photography with an SLR + editor has enabled me to get some really fantastic photos from vacations and I would like to continue to do that.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
11/29/22 6:18 p.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/challenge-priced-alternative-to-lightroom/197903/page1/

I only got one post last time I asked.  I've been playing with Darktable though, and its pretty solid.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/29/22 6:20 p.m.

So let me clarfiy as our posts have different price targets. 

I'm fine with pay $100 for software. 

I am not fine with paying $120 yearly.

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
11/29/22 6:30 p.m.

Adobe has a converter for proprietary RAW formats; it's free:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

I have not used the resulting DNG format. My recollection, FWIW, is, it's lossless. If you want more info from actual users, you could check out a forum such as Lightroom Queen Forums.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/29/22 6:39 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

So let me clarfiy as our posts have different price targets. 

I'm fine with pay $100 for software. 

I am not fine with paying $120 yearly.

Unfortunately, since Apple stopped shipping Aperture, it seems that nobody else cares about this market.

Is $120/year just for Lightroom?  That's what I'm paying, but I'm getting both LR and Photoshop out of it.  Dunno if that was a special deal, or grandfathered, or what.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/29/22 6:48 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

yes, the lowest I have found for lightroom is $10/month.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/29/22 11:36 p.m.

RawTherapee and Darktable are both worth looking at.  Both are Open Source.  I've used RawTherapee and it's decent though not without a learning curve.

I'm still using Lightroom 6, non-CC, and don't really want to leave it for CC or something else.  Really dumb situation; there's a photo negative converting plugin for Lr that I really like plus the photo catalog management that Lr provides that makes me not want to go to something else.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/30/22 8:39 a.m.

I'm wondering if the best option here is to just dedicate some time to getting better at darktable.  I've used it a bit so far but the image management is confusing as hell to me.  I'm sure it's really powerful, but I don't need it.  I wish there was a "lite" mode.  As with the other open source softwares I have used, often the user interface is just not as intuitive as the main commercial competitor.

I will check out the raw converted posted above, but I am not excited about an extra step in the process- mainly because it's a hurdle that I think will make me less likely to actually sit down and edit.

Seems like another possible option if I end up paying for anything is DXO photolab.  There is at least a free trial.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/30/22 12:48 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

As with the other open source softwares I have used, often the user interface is just not as intuitive as the main commercial competitor.

Heh, IMHO the lightroom user interface is pretty terrible.  I really liked Aperture, I wish Apple still made it.

Our Preferred Partners
98YX0CYIHRdnW2nd8ID66LDG565quZNzxxKVWQBwBm8xP2Of25e2iebzCMJH3dhw