Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
6/24/21 8:37 a.m.

I'm going to be running up to Michigan to pick up the tracked vehicle I bought a month or so back. The plan is to spend a week or so heading up there and then a burn home once we pick the machine up. 

Buying a HF trailer kit was cheaper than renting one so I bought a folding trailer kit. I will assemble when I get to Michigan so I don't have to tow a trailer up and back.

What are some good must-see things between Charleston SC and Fennville MI? I'm more of an off-the-beaten-path, get away from people, person. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/24/21 8:46 a.m.

Will you be taking the XJ?  

If yes, Michigan Off Road Routes

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79148_80314---,00.html

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/24/21 8:48 a.m.

Not quite in between, but just farther than Fennville is Lake Michigan.  

South of Fennville is Gingerman Raceway in South Haven. Grattan Raceway is about an hour and a half north east.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/24/21 8:49 a.m.

Is this your intended route?  

Toyman01 + Sized and
6/24/21 8:52 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

No XJ this trip. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
6/24/21 8:53 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Generally. On the way up I'll probably vary that to get off the interstate and travel through the countryside.

On the way back, it will be mostly interstate.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/24/21 9:04 a.m.

If I was headed that way I would definitely visit the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Oh and the Henry Ford in Detroit (or wherever it is).  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/24/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

What is this tracked vehicle you have bought?  

Toyman01 + Sized and
6/24/21 9:13 a.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/24/21 9:14 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

If I was headed that way I would definitely visit the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Oh and the Henry Ford in Detroit (or wherever it is).  

I was going to recommend the same two when I read Michigan.   However, you are headed to W. Mich and The Henry Ford Museum at Greenfield Village is in E. Mich.  

But, in Metro Detroit there are many great GRM'ers.  I envision that you could get someone to donate some space and have GRM'er party to build your HF trailer at.  Also, overnight accommodations might be cheaper than tourism filled lakefront locations.  

That east-west leg is about 180 miles or 2.5 hrs

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/24/21 9:23 a.m.

I wonder if we can find a GRM'er who "wheels" to take you out to Silver Lake Dunes for some time on sand!  (since your not bringing your own, very capable XJ or Samurai)

Toyman01 + Sized and
6/24/21 9:34 a.m.

The Ford Museum is certainly a possibility. I'm assuming it's more than a one-day thing.

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
6/24/21 9:37 a.m.

Gilmore museum is pretty sweet too in Hickory Corners, MI.

https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
6/24/21 9:47 a.m.

Is there a HF near the destination?  I'd take a very good look at the trailer kit before hitting the road, my heavy duty HF trailer came with one of the light duty hubs (or wheels, I don't remember which).  Also, be sure to clean the bearings and re-grease them, the "grease" they ship with isn't grease.

Toyman01 + Sized and
6/24/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

I plan to build the entire trailer at home to make sure everything is there and get the bearings repacked. That will give me a chance to inspect everything. Then I will dismantle it enough to fit in the back of the truck. I will also be carrying a complete spare hub and tire in case something fails.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
6/24/21 11:19 a.m.
PMRacing said:

Gilmore museum is pretty sweet too in Hickory Corners, MI.

https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/

Came here to say this.  If you have a bit of "Aviation Geekery" in you, the Kalamazoo Air Zoo is a worthwhile afternoon also.  Also "west side". 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
6/24/21 11:24 a.m.

Henry Ford/Greenfield Village are great as is the Air Zoo.  Silver Lake sand dunes are a good time.  We just came home from a week there.  Gilmore is on the list for this summer as I hear it's really good.  
Detroit area has a concentration of us dorks should you roll through the east side.  Not sure that's a selling feature though laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OvLuiE8wDnBzvWo5LsC9IzF1XPmgxzqP7mlVpHPILb8MqfYPhVlH1z3fwing104s