1 2 3
Harvey
Harvey Dork
7/3/17 9:40 p.m.

I've gone through three threads so far today where Photobucket pictures don't show up, because the site constantly messes with people's accounts.

Is there any reason people use Photobucket other than habit? Is Imgur blocked for people?

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
7/3/17 9:41 p.m.

Maybe because it's a new problem and people are still adjusting?

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
7/3/17 9:42 p.m.
Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
7/3/17 10:10 p.m.

Photobucket just recently changed their TOS and no longer allow free 3rd party hosting.

I just checked yesterday to see how much they want and the only option I was given was $400/yr.

Nope...

They may have a more realistic option if I try from a desktop, but I'm not particularly motivated to give them money considering until recently trying to open their URL in a mobile browser always redirected me to some sketchy malware removal site trying to convince me my device had STDs.

imgur loads crazy slow for me, likely on my end, so no thanks. I'm considering options but I'll need to find something before long.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/4/17 12:31 a.m.
Harvey wrote: I've gone through three threads so far today where Photobucket pictures don't show up, because the site constantly messes with people's accounts.

In most cases the photos were posted prior to the change, so it's not the poster's fault.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
7/4/17 2:25 a.m.

I still use Flickr. Never had an issue. But understand that it means that Yahoo owns your photos.

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
7/4/17 5:31 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
Harvey wrote: I've gone through three threads so far today where Photobucket pictures don't show up, because the site constantly messes with people's accounts.
In most cases the photos were posted prior to the change, so it's not the poster's fault.

PhotoBucket apparently changed something again; The0r3tical's(?) thread had a post from less than 36 hours ago, pictures unavailable.

I host my own site, pretty much to serve the few photos / files I want published (doubles as my modem's firewall).

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
7/4/17 7:24 a.m.
EvanR wrote: I still use Flickr. Never had an issue. But understand that it means that Yahoo owns your photos.

And now Verizon owns them, on top of Yahoo's repeated security issues; OTOH, they have been totally reliable for me, and if you're just using flickr and not reusing logins, not too big a worry? Still, always concerns me to have dealings with an entity having so many issues...

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/4/17 8:27 a.m.
Crackers wrote: Photobucket just recently changed their TOS and no longer allow free 3rd party hosting. I just checked yesterday to see how much they want and the only option I was given was $400/yr. Nope... They may have a more realistic option if I try from a desktop, but I'm not particularly motivated to give them money considering until recently trying to open their URL in a mobile browser always redirected me to some sketchy malware removal site trying to convince me my device had STDs. imgur loads crazy slow for me, likely on my end, so no thanks. I'm considering options but I'll need to find something before long.

Doesn't matter what type of system you are on. It's $400 if you want linking.

Bye bye Photobucket.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/4/17 8:48 a.m.

I've been using their $2.99 a month plan for some time now and my hotlinks still work.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/4/17 8:51 a.m.

photo 20150827_135455.jpg

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
7/4/17 9:28 a.m.

I think its a traffic thing. The more sites and traffic you direct to PB the more likely they are to require a paid hosting account. I have no issues with my links and I'm using a free account.

Scooter
Scooter Dork
7/4/17 11:16 a.m.

Can you hotlink from your Google Photos app? Not google drive, but the actual Google Photos app.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
7/4/17 11:54 a.m.

scooter, the google photos hotlinking works about 50% of the time.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
7/4/17 1:28 p.m.
Scooter wrote: Can you hotlink from your Google Photos app? Not google drive, but the actual Google Photos app.

Just add "-tmp.jpg" to the end of the link to the picture and it will work here.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
7/4/17 2:28 p.m.
solfly wrote: I've been using their $2.99 a month plan for some time now and my hotlinks still work.

+1. They recently did an upgrade, or some such BS, and it was a nightmare to eventually get right, but 39.99 a year, and I don't have to learn any new wizardry, I'm in. I admit to being semi computer literate, at best.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
7/4/17 2:31 p.m.

I just downloaded my pics and deleted my photobucket accounts. It's only a matter of time before they implode.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/4/17 2:46 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I just downloaded my pics and deleted my photobucket accounts. It's only a matter of time before they implode.

What is the best way to download your pics off Photobucket? Can you download an entire album at once, several at a time or... ?

I have around 200 left after a deleting binge last night. Have backups for most on my phone so maybe only need to download 50 +/-

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
7/4/17 2:49 p.m.

Apparently the real issue that pushed this over the line was the sellers using Photobucket to host pics for Amazon, Craigslist and eBay sales among others.

Now there are a bunch of missing photos on Amazon, etc.

I understand why they may want to kill that off, but it's not hard to sort that from some forum folks and treat them accordingly.

Basically they are going down the road of the WannaCry jerks except it's all completely legal and above board.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/4/17 2:58 p.m.
minivan_racer wrote: I think its a traffic thing. The more sites and traffic you direct to PB the more likely they are to require a paid hosting account. I have no issues with my links and I'm using a free account.

I post 99.99% of my stuff here. I don't think I've posted a pic on another site for close to 3 years. All my pics are dead.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
7/4/17 2:58 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

As long as your pics are in albums you can download the entire album in one shot. The issue is that their site is lagging due to the traffic at the moment so if the album is large then it may time out before it is complete. May want to wait until off peak hours or download pictures individually for now.

Testing a new option:

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/4/17 3:14 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

Thanks, I'll try that tonight or early morning in off hours.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
7/4/17 4:54 p.m.

All of my images are still up and I've posted 1000s of images over a hand full of sites. I have also had a paid PB account for several years. I'm still waiting to see if something happens. If they don't try to hit me up for 4 bills, I'll probably stay with them. I'm not very hopeful though. We'll see.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/4/17 5:14 p.m.

So much for not being the 1% on punishment at mobile for august...bout to download all my photos and move em to Google and others.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
7/4/17 7:33 p.m.

Sad to think about the thousands of webpages here with useful content that were maimed because the pics aren't viewable anymore. Think of the archive of build info and how-tos compiled by people over many years that can't be seen anymore. Very few will go back and re-populate a 30-page archived build thread.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OME6Dx83VGbzwkWnZNexheXPdW4E57pFpNgzAW3KpJRvnc6ChQsLpAmCK6QM2TLg