1 2 3 4
Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/8/14 2:44 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Back in the 90s I owned a little Gerber pocket knife. It had a black polymer handle. It took a great edge and was one of the sharpest knives I ever owned. It got lost and I replaced it with what I thought was the same model, but apparently Gerber changed the steel at some point in time and it was nowhere near as good.

Ha! As soon as I saw a knife thread, I knew I would be telling people about this knife. I bought the same knife at LL Bean in 1991. I've bought a hundred knives before and since but that little Gerber is the best knife I've ever owned. I'd buy a dozen more if I could find them. In fact, I was checking eBay for them two days ago.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
8/8/14 3:14 p.m.

Woody, what is that thing called? I want to see if I can find another one. I read that Gerber got a batch of some kind of tool steel called "Vascowear" that is NLA to make those knives.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
8/8/14 3:16 p.m.

I had one of those little devils back in the late 90s too. damn good knife. No idea where it went.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/8/14 3:29 p.m.

I used to carry a Gerber something or other my sister bought for me. Best knife I ever had. It got stolen out of my truck years ago. I always have at least two knives in me at all times. Usually a case small trapper but lately I've been carrying my Swiss army "fishermen" and one of those folding razor blade locking knives from home depot.

I'd love to find another Gerber like the one I had but I have yet to find one like it again.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/8/14 3:38 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Woody, what is that thing called? I want to see if I can find another one. I read that Gerber got a batch of some kind of tool steel called "Vascowear" that is NLA to make those knives.

Mine just says "L.L. Bean by Gerber" on one side of the blade and "Portland, OR 97223 USA" on the other. L.L. Bean is molded into the handle.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
8/8/14 3:40 p.m.

It is a Gerber LST. Woody, if you still have yours, what series is it (300, 400, et.)

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
8/8/14 4:13 p.m.

This is one that I really want a Zero Tolerance 302. Big for a daily carry but it is a damn nice knife.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/8/14 5:37 p.m.

I still have my Barlow that I carried for eons while in the AF and after all the years working.

I don't carry it anymore but it is where it is always handy if I need it.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/8/14 6:09 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: It is a Gerber LST. Woody, if you still have yours, what series is it (300, 400, et.)

It doesn't say, but I know that I bought it in 1991.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
8/8/14 6:51 p.m.

I rock out a Kershaw Needs work. I started a thread here years back for pocket knife recommendations and everyone seemed to like Kershaw. Big fan, the quick release makes me happy every time.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/8/14 6:55 p.m.

I have a small Ken Onion,. It's beautifully made but it's really too small.

I also carry a cheap, fully serrated Schrade Cliphanger in my fire gear, because when a dropped ceiling falls on me and tangles me up in telephone lines, I want to cut through everything and get out. Someday, I'll scan an old photo of "The Web" at the Fire Academy and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Will
Will SuperDork
8/8/14 8:30 p.m.

Just the other day I was trying to think what object has been in my possession the longest. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the winner is the Victorinox Fisherman I got for Cub Scouts when I was 8 years old:

These days, though, I pocket carry a CRKT M21 folder:

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/8/14 8:40 p.m.

The Swiss Army factory store is not far from me. I went there a few weeks ago to buy a replacement for the small, seven function knife that I carry on my key chain, as the plastic housing was broken. I bought a couple of small knives and then they mentioned that they are guaranteed for life. I handed them my old knife and they sent it back to be refurbed. Three weeks later, it showed up in my mailbox looking brand new, fully sharpened with new plastic sides, tweezers and toothpick. They even included the broken pieces that they had replaced. It only cost me $5.32 for shipping. I have a bunch of other old ones that I'm going to send in.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/8/14 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Will:

I got my Fishermen when I was around ten. I still carry it with me daily. It is identical to the one you pictured except it only has the awl and Phillips screwdriver on the bottom.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/8/14 8:55 p.m.
Woody wrote: The Swiss Army factory store is not far from me. I went there a few weeks ago to buy a replacement for the small, seven function knife that I carry on my key chain, as the plastic housing was broken. I bought a couple of small knives and then they mentioned that they are guaranteed for life. I handed them my old knife and they sent it back to be refurbed. Three weeks later, it showed up in my mailbox looking brand new, fully sharpened with new plastic sides, tweezers and toothpick. They even included the broken pieces that they had replaced. It only cost me $5.32 for shipping. I have a bunch of other old ones that I'm going to send in.

Would you please share that address? I have a couple that could use the service.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
8/8/14 10:40 p.m.

Woody, thanks for replying, I posted the second question before I had seen your first response, sorry.

I found a few on Ebay. I'm wondering with which one of you I'm going to get into a bidding war.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/8/14 11:55 p.m.

I keep a Gerber multitool on me at work and have the small Gerber for a pocket knife. I had a small Cutco but lost it years ago. Somehow I lose them fairly often. I also seem to break the tips off them almost immediately prying stuck dimes out of fareboxes. For some reason old ladies always want to put their change into the card readers and the slot is just the right size to get a dime caught in there.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/9/14 4:54 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Woody, thanks for replying, I posted the second question before I had seen your first response, sorry. I found a few on Ebay. I'm wondering with which one of you I'm going to get into a bidding war.

I just bought a lot of 3 new ones on eBay for $51 shipped.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/9/14 4:59 a.m.
Duke wrote:
Woody wrote: The Swiss Army factory store is not far from me. I went there a few weeks ago to buy a replacement for the small, seven function knife that I carry on my key chain, as the plastic housing was broken. I bought a couple of small knives and then they mentioned that they are guaranteed for life. I handed them my old knife and they sent it back to be refurbed. Three weeks later, it showed up in my mailbox looking brand new, fully sharpened with new plastic sides, tweezers and toothpick. They even included the broken pieces that they had replaced. It only cost me $5.32 for shipping. I have a bunch of other old ones that I'm going to send in.
Would you please share that address? I have a couple that could use the service.

I went to 7 Victoria Drive in Monroe CT. I'm not sure if they did the repair there or sent it out. He just filled out a form and took the knife. When I got it back, there was just an invoice to cover the shipping.

Try here:

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/content/customerSupportWarrantySAK

Will
Will SuperDork
8/9/14 8:04 a.m.

In reply to nicksta43:

Actually, that's how mine is as well, but I couldn't find a good photo of that style.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat HalfDork
8/9/14 9:02 a.m.

I carry a Cold Steel Kudu. It's a whole lot of one handed opening and closing knife for $8 shipped.

This is the Okapi three star that the Kudu is styled after.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
8/9/14 11:01 a.m.

I like my Leatherman folding knife. Made in USA, and there's an included bottle opener.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
8/11/14 1:09 p.m.

I currently rotate between two Swiss Army Knives: A Wenger SI (was the standard issue knife for the actual Swiss Army from 1961-2008) and a Victorinox Super Tinker (two blades, screw drivers, bottle/can opener, scissors, phillips head, parcel hook, awl).

I have had Leatherman pocket knives in the past and had no issues with them.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/11/14 1:43 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Duke wrote:
I went to 7 Victoria Drive in Monroe CT. I'm not sure if they did the repair there or sent it out. He just filled out a form and took the knife. When I got it back, there was just an invoice to cover the shipping. Try here: http://www.swissarmy.com/us/content/customerSupportWarrantySAK

Thanks!

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
8/11/14 5:04 p.m.

I've carried an HK Nitrous Blitz (made by Benchmade) for about 5 years and its a great tool. Its light, handles well and the assisted opening mechanism is smooth and easy to operate one handed. I havent had it resharpened yet and its still holding a good edge even using it at least 4-5 times a week.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hLV04Me9yTgaNU7r4ZzQJLULd90n17z1ocZkO6nJN3RBFO1hwOsRP3g447CynYOU