2 3 4 5 6
SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
8/15/14 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:
My EDC knife is a SOG Flash II Tanto, I like it a lot.
Hell, nice enough that I bought two when I replaced the first one

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/15/14 8:35 p.m.

I have one of these Beretta knives with the tanto blade and grip that mimics the grips on the Beretta 92/96/M9. It's nicely made, very cool and seriously sharp, but it's still not my favorite knife.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
8/15/14 9:42 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: I suppose my KA-BAR could be a pocket knife, but it would have to be a really big pocket.
And a really bad idea.

I can actually think of a couple people I have seen packing Ka Bars and similar around town. But then I see guys packing side arms open around here,

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/23/14 9:08 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: For a long time, I switched to the Gerber EAB. Replaceable blade means I can abuse the hell out of it and it's tiny. It'll slip into your watch pocket of your jeans and you'll never know.

I'm looking at one of those. I like the combination of folding utility knife and minimalist. But how is the hand feel when it's open?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/23/14 3:45 p.m.

Serviceable. You can put a finger on the curved bit below the hinge. It's not the sort of knife you lovingly caress as you gaze into the fire and fantasize about avenging your family, but it does the trick. Most importantly, you're more likely to carry it because it's so easy to carry. And the knife you have is always better than the knife you don't.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/23/14 5:16 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I need to look into one of those. I have a similar cheap version I bought at Lowes, but that one looks smaller. Realistically, 95% of the time, I'm using a knife to open boxes and that would be perfect.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
8/23/14 8:48 p.m.

I'm debating getting a leg-worn dive knife to use while kayaking. This thought came to me after I got tangled up in 50 pound test braid a couple of weeks ago.

I usually have a bait knife clipped to me, but having a backup in another spot seems like a good idea.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/30/14 7:12 p.m.

So I forgot I had this [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mndsm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/IMG_20140830_190610_zpszodlfojk.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mndsm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/IMG_20140830_190601_zpsly5awwf5.jpg.html][/URL]

I got it as a memento of sorts from a friend who passed on. I don't carry knives, but this seems to be a good little one. It's a Gerber as identified on the blade.... seems as you all know a lot about them, anyone tell me about this one? Needs a good sharpening and some time in an ultrasonic- but he was a grease monkey and this was his go-to.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
8/30/14 9:41 p.m.

I have a Ken Onion for my daily, and a CRKT M12 tanto blade that I also carry occasionally. I work in a cube farm now, but my Ken Onion is still right there on my hip.

In reality, I probably have over 30 pocket knives. I have been thinking about a leg worn Fixed blade for hiking and camping use. I like a Ka-Bar Becker Companion, what else should I consider?

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
8/30/14 10:53 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Looks like an older generation of this:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Knives/AR-3.00_45864

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/30/14 11:23 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: In reply to mndsm: Looks like an older generation of this: http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Knives/AR-3.00_45864

Neat! Now to get am edge on it.....

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
6/26/15 1:07 p.m.

My son is in Boy Scouts and is heading to summer camp this week. I picked up a Gerber folding knife a while back and I'm going to just give it to him instead of carrying it myself.

I've started looking at vintage folding knives online. This is an incredibly bad idea, as it seems that one can get as deeply involved in these as one could get into cars.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/26/15 1:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Most importantly, you're more likely to carry it because it's so easy to carry. And the knife you have is always better than the knife you don't.

Also, it helps to be cheap enough and easily replaced if you happen to forget you're carrying it and wander into some place where you have to give it up.

I always have me Swiss army knife with me. Always. I went the NY auto show a few months ago and didn't think about it until I saw people getting frisked at the door. Crap. So I grab it and my keys, carefully put the knife in my hand with my keys, hold my arms out... and walk on through. But I wouldn't try that in a facility where security was more stringent. A few years ago I forgot my knife again going to court house for Federal jury duty and since I took the train it wasn't like I could run back to my car. Fortunately, the guards there were used to this sort of thing and have a system for holding items until you leave.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
6/26/15 3:22 p.m.

I carry a Leatherman Crater C33T in my pocket. It has a blade, two screwdrivers and a bottle opener. I also have a Victorinox Hercules in my glovebox and a Tinker on my dresser.

I got the Tinker from a yard sale and seems pretty worn out. I am tempted to try out sending it back for repair and see what happens..

asoduk
asoduk Reader
6/26/15 9:37 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: Back in the 90s I owned a little Gerber pocket knife. It had a black polymer handle. It took a great edge and was one of the sharpest knives I ever owned. It got lost and I replaced it with what I thought was the same model, but apparently Gerber changed the steel at some point in time and it was nowhere near as good.
Ha! As soon as I saw a knife thread, I knew I would be telling people about this knife. I bought the same knife at LL Bean in 1991. I've bought a hundred knives before and since but that little Gerber is the best knife I've ever owned. I'd buy a dozen more if I could find them. In fact, I was checking eBay for them two days ago.

I also carry one of these early 90's Gerbers. The new ones aren't the same though. I've been carrying the same knife since 7th grade. I thought it was a great knife then and gave a countless amount as gifts to friends over the years. While others say the steel changed, I've noticed more that the plastic on the newer models is much more flexible.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/26/15 10:18 p.m.

I've gone through. A couple of the newer small Gerbers. I have nothing to compare it to as I had a Cutco for a long time. When I lost it my wife started replacing it with the Gerbers that I also lose about every year-18 months. I keep that in my pocket almost all the time and a Gerber Diesel multitool on my belt for work.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
6/27/15 7:40 p.m.

Love the Kershaws with the spring assist. Great knives and super affordable at around $40.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/8/16 4:35 p.m.

Revive. Again.

Currently I go between my Gerber EAB and a $4 Ozark Trail tanto flipper from Walmart. EAB went through the wash and it opens much smoother now. I ran the cheap tanto through the sharpener at work and loosened the hinge a little and it is really nice for $4.

For fixed camp knives, I recently bought a Camilus and a UST paracord. Both under $10 each at Walmart. The Camilus has a fantastic handle and factory edge, but the blade is thin. The paracord is heavy, but needs a good sharpening.

I want a Benchmade, but SWMBO has threatened to kill me with it if I spend $185 on a pocket knife. Maybe I should just buy an Infidel and not tell her. I also just ordered a leek. I'm looking forward to getting that.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/8/16 5:38 p.m.

$4

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/8/16 5:43 p.m.
mndsm wrote: So I forgot I had this [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mndsm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/IMG_20140830_190610_zpszodlfojk.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mndsm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/IMG_20140830_190601_zpsly5awwf5.jpg.html][/URL] I got it as a memento of sorts from a friend who passed on. I don't carry knives, but this seems to be a good little one. It's a Gerber as identified on the blade.... seems as you all know a lot about them, anyone tell me about this one? Needs a good sharpening and some time in an ultrasonic- but he was a grease monkey and this was his go-to.

I've had one of those for 20 years - great knives - good steel.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/8/16 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Brian:

My leek is my go to! Great knives - thin - with a slim clip - and still have a good feel in the hand.

Antihero
Antihero Reader
5/8/16 6:59 p.m.

I carry an enlan el01 and a higonokami most days at work. Both cheap, both superb

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
5/8/16 7:29 p.m.
84FSP wrote: In reply to Brian: My leek is my go to! Great knives - thin - with a slim clip - and still have a good feel in the hand.

Yep, same for me.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/8/16 7:57 p.m.

About 4 years ago I bought a ton of stuff from REI for taking the family hiking/camping and earned a sizeable points credit. I squandered it on a Benchmade Barrage that cost a fortune even on sale. I have carried it every day since except when planes interrupt my day.

I have zero regrets. It is by far, the best knife I've ever owned. I use it at least once every day for some thing. Mostly either cutting tape, stripping wire, cutting twine or ... just basic stuff. Cutting things or poking holes in stuff. No murdering. I have never actually sharpened it. I strop or steel it and it stays razor sharp. I dropped it off a ladder from 20' up over the weekend and it's got no cracks in the polymer. It's seriously good stuff.

I still "seriously" would not pay $140 for it because that is nucking futz... but with $100 of points and a 20% discount it was worth ever penny of the $30 odd dollars I took out of my pocket.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
5/8/16 8:55 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: I bought one of these Ken Onion Kershaw about 10 years ago. It is in my pocket 90% of the time. Only time I've gotten grief over it was at the National Archives a couple years ago. Only because the security guard I dealt with had dainty little feminine hands. It passes the palm test on my hand and every other security guard I encountered in DC.

I've had one of those for 10 years or so also. Use it every day. The "girly" finish makes it appear less threatening to those who feel threatened by knives.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1DJgnS9ziQuTIVQ8dk6J20S1ze1ceFPmkcx2qIQnMJ2Q1jELnbbC9M61SLHC0J1K