3 4 5 6
dropstep
dropstep Dork
5/9/16 1:06 p.m.

Im carrying a silent strike 5 buck knife from rural king right now. Im a bit of a knife addict and i really liked the bright green powder coated frame.

My normal carry when i get bored of this ill go back to is a kershaw. Hunting i carry a fixed blade remington buck and hook set.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
5/9/16 1:40 p.m.

I carry a Gerber skeleton since it clips in my back left pocket and stays put. Knives are like sunglasses for me, if I spend more than $20 on one I lose/break it in less than a week. Stay under that and it lasts virtually forever.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
5/9/16 3:29 p.m.

Hot damn, knife thread!!! My daily carry knives are currently a Cold Steel Lawman clipped into my right-rear pocket AND a Cold Steel Voyager XL clip point in the right-front pocket. The Lawman has a 3.5 inch blade and is used for generic cutting chores. I alternate it with a Cold Steel Recon 1 4-inch spear point folder. The Voyager XL has a 5.5 inch blade and is 11.5 inches total when opened, and the flat ground 4mm thick blade is heavy enough that a quick left-right twist/flick of the wrist will open it fully. I have a double beveled 1200 grit edge on it, with the secondary bevel polished to 6000 grit. I never use it to cut anything, to keep the edge air-bleeding sharp. The Voyager XL is my last ditch backup to my backup pistol; it's the one knife I hope to never have to use.

All three of these knives are the latest models made with Carpenter BD1 steel, fully hardened and drawn down to Rc 57 to 58. This steel is a vast improvement over the older models in AUS-8. Is this a good time to mention that I have about two dozen folders, three dozen fixed blades, eight machettes, and six combat-capable (medium-carbon, hammer forged, spring tempered) swords, all from premium and super-premuim grade brands? And, I have on order a Randall Model 10 with model 14 grind, and a Randall Model 26 with guard/handle/pomel options for use as a sgian dubh on those ocassions when I am fully kitted out in Highland dress. The Model 10 will be delivered in April of next year and the Model 26 will be delivered in January of 2018. Randall Made Knives' backorder is currently 4 years. Yes, they are THAT good.

java230
java230 HalfDork
5/9/16 3:57 p.m.

I have had this cheap Kershaw forever. It gets abused and has lasted well.

Id love a Mini MRX from Rat Worx, but too much $$

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
5/9/16 4:59 p.m.

Question: I have good pocket knives but I rarely wear them because I rub the clip on things, like my car's interior (and paint once...). Where do you clip your pocket knives to avoid this? Do you ever remove the clip and if so, what else do you put in that pocket (I know keys are bad).

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/9/16 5:22 p.m.

My EDC has been a Cutco 2-3/4" Lockback full serrated blade for a few years clipped inside the pocket. THe other staple is a Victorinox Evolution 10 that I've had for about 10 years.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
5/9/16 6:02 p.m.

In reply to Kylini:

I have ones without clips that I leave in my front pocket. I need a ring of keys worthy of a high school janitor at work that I wear clipped to a belt loop.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/9/16 6:04 p.m.

How the hell did this thread get this far without a Buck showing up?

The Buck and the Gerber shown by the OP were my constant companions until some Arabs made it impossible to travel with a pocket knife.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/9/16 6:26 p.m.

Any thoughts on tip up vs tip down carry?

dropstep
dropstep Dork
5/9/16 7:59 p.m.
Kylini wrote: Question: I have good pocket knives but I rarely wear them because I rub the clip on things, like my car's interior (and paint once...). Where do you clip your pocket knives to avoid this? Do you ever remove the clip and if so, what else do you put in that pocket (I know keys are bad).

Since i worry about scratching customer cars at work i keep mine clipped in my cargo pocket. If thats not an option i clip it too my watch pocket so my shirt covers it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
5/9/16 10:44 p.m.

I just picked up a Boker Urban Trapper to replace my SOG Flash II as my EDC. I love it. Super thin, lightweight, and SHARP.

java230
java230 HalfDork
5/10/16 9:57 a.m.
Kylini wrote: Question: I have good pocket knives but I rarely wear them because I rub the clip on things, like my car's interior (and paint once...). Where do you clip your pocket knives to avoid this? Do you ever remove the clip and if so, what else do you put in that pocket (I know keys are bad).

I havent had issues with it. Although I have carried a knife so long I will just instinctively put my hand on the clip if I am worried about rubbing on something.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/10/16 10:07 a.m.

That's why I stopped carrying any unless they're small enough to fit in a watch pocket - or I just keep the SOG in my bag. You can't get in and out of a Miata with one hand over your knife clip.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
5/10/16 11:31 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I just picked up a Boker Urban Trapper to replace my SOG Flash II as my EDC. I love it. Super thin, lightweight, and SHARP.

Welcome to the Boker Bus! Is this your first ride?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
5/10/16 12:07 p.m.

A good way to get some bad ideas.

http://www.helle.no/products/knives/

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
5/10/16 1:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That's why I stopped carrying any unless they're small enough to fit in a watch pocket - or I just keep the SOG in my bag. You can't get in and out of a Miata with one hand over your knife clip.

Yeaaaaaah.... If I clip on left, I wreck the seat. If I clip on right, I wreck the steering wheel. Guess I need a removable hub.

If I carried daily, I'd carry one of these. I'm sad that I don't because I actually did order it after reading this thread in 2014....

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
5/10/16 7:16 p.m.

I lost my swiss army "fisherman" last year. Carried for the better part of 26 years. I carry a cheap little Buck now.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
5/10/16 9:49 p.m.

I rotate between a Victorinox Soldier, Leatherman Crater C33t and a Gerber EAB. I tend to carry the Soldier most of all.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
5/10/16 11:00 p.m.

I've been carrying this Buck knife a lot for the last few years, not quite everyday but close:

More recently, I had a gift card to Cabela's and ended up buying this Smith and Wesson assisted opening. It's my first assisted opening and it is wicked. It's a huge blade and a little too bulky of a handle for EDC but it's very sharp.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/10/16 11:24 p.m.

That's why I mostly carry a carbon steel Opinel #6, locks shut so keys won't open it. Much more durable than it looks.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/11/16 9:03 a.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

Those are great knives.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
5/11/16 8:25 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I just picked up a Boker Urban Trapper to replace my SOG Flash II as my EDC. I love it. Super thin, lightweight, and SHARP.
Welcome to the Boker Bus! Is this your first ride?

It is! I was rocking the SOG for like 5 years before that and wanted something thinner. And there's just something so nice about a Ti handle.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/11/16 9:04 p.m.

I tried a Boker. Specifically, a Boker Plus credit card knife. It fits in your watch pocket, see previous discussion.

And it sucks. I could not get the thing to take an edge no matter how I tried. It doesn't even work well on packing tape other than being able to puncture it with the tip. Very small and easy to carry, but also useless. Cannot recommend. This is not a condemnation of all things Boker, just this one in particular.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
5/12/16 6:47 a.m.

I went to a call yesterday for a wheelchair tiedown that would not release. I pulled a knife out of my pocket to cut the strap and people looked stunned like I was waving a machete. We have really gotten soft.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/12/16 6:56 a.m.

I have a couple of Smith and Wesson lockblades I carry daily. They were cheap and work fine. If I lose them I am not out anything. But my favorite knives are my original Leatherman, my Victronox Camper (Which I have had since I was 12) and my old Boker.

Wasn't expecting that were you?

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t1jCfZHc7l8QDnkDoHzDwO9gS3vDmlbDG2rfE5Z68PpdI5PxU2aH0a7NwBQuoXrx