1 2
mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/1/13 6:45 p.m.
Knurled wrote: This was clearly an unsafe way to drive, so in the interests of minimizing the time exposed to danger, I went as fast as the car could go.

This is beautiful.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/1/13 7:18 p.m.

Electric fuel pumps need to prime generally. I have never successfully push started one with a dead battery. Multiple with bad starters though without issue.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/1/13 7:31 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: Depends how good of a battery it is, I had a 4 year old Delco that I accidentally ran down till it froze twice, and sold in the car as a 6 year old Delco that still worked fine even if I let it sit a few weeks. You should expect it to die soon, and keep an eye on it, because a bad battery will kill a alternator just as good as things work the other way around. Though sometimes you get a battery that just wont die.

odds are I don't know nearly as much as I sometimes think I do .... that said ... I've never ruined an alternator by letting it charge a dead battery ... and I've driven many cars after bump starting them ... some of them so dead that the dash lights wouldn't even come on

I have worn out an alternator ... the brushes were worn down to nothing ... not knowing any better, I bought a set of brushes and soldered them in and away we went ('76 Civic)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5qnWs5plwFnAXcC1NVUIu09w86XSNglZBhbUMw0i29HDQihLn8rVhHRXTiTQDAIX