bridgboy
bridgboy None
9/23/10 2:01 p.m.

HEY ALL GOT A NEW TOY, 91 MAZDA MIATA MX-5 LOOKIN FOR INFO

1 WHATS A GOOD OIL TO USE GOT OVER 140K MILES

2 LOOKING FOR A POWER CHIP TO INCREASE HP KNOW ANY RELIABLE BRANDS THAT WONT EFFECT EMMISIONS? ME & SHIFTY WILL THANK YOU

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
9/23/10 2:04 p.m.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
9/23/10 2:14 p.m.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/#

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
9/23/10 2:23 p.m.

Powerchip? You must be confusing it with a Honda .

Without tearing into the engine, there isn't much gain by tweaking the N/A engine.

+1 on the Flying Miata recommendation.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
9/23/10 2:25 p.m.

Play nice with the new readers, please.

If you're new to the Miata world and looking for ways to improve its performance, I'd start with reading this article.

There are lots of options for making more power, but a replacement chip by itself isn't likely to do much good. You'll find better gains from exhaust and intake modifications. The Flyin' Miata website is a great place to do research!

DukeOfUndersteer
9/23/10 2:30 p.m.

i know, i was just kidding

bridgboy
bridgboy New Reader
9/23/10 2:31 p.m.

YEAH HONDA I AM CONFUSED SAW SOME $50 PLUG N PLAYS ON INTERNET CLAIM TO BOOST MPG & 15-40 HP WONDERING HOW ACCURATE OR COULD THEY DAMAGE MA TOY. DO PLAY TO DIG INTO ENGINE OR MAYBE UPGRADE TO NEWER YEAR. JUST LOVE THIS BODY STYLE.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
9/23/10 2:33 p.m.

Those things are grade A snake oil and the only performance you get out of them is due to weight loss (in your wallet).

Oh, and would you please be so kind and turn off caps lock?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
9/23/10 2:39 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Oh, and would you please be so kind and turn off caps lock?

Yes please. Reading all caps hurts my eyes.

DukeOfUndersteer
9/23/10 2:40 p.m.

In reply to bridgboy:

those are more than likely the ebay chip that lowers the intake temp reading given to the ECU in which drops the timing and changes the A/F...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
9/23/10 3:12 p.m.

Actually, we're working on a rechipped ECU that should give some power gains. But it's not going to be sold on eBay, it's not going to be $50 and it's not available yet anyhow :) It will involve physical modification of the board at our shop.

As for oil, if your engine is in decent condition I'd probably run Castol GTX in a 10W30.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fEFfZAJUvWXQuBdaaccYeDswH7uz7uBa9yoKBpOg6w2b9Ftn8xWzWl63mScUBPNl