ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/13/22 8:23 p.m.

We're going to have fresh herbs for the market next weekend.

Hopefully folks will want to buy fresh cooking ingredients as the winter months come in.

I'm hoping the fun coloured pots will help with sales, they're more attractive than the plain green or black nursery pots.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/14/22 8:23 p.m.

Fun times today.

I bought plywood for the subfloor in the propagation house, along with some fittings that would allow me to connect and disconnect / drain the water line to the prop house from inside our basement.

Got the water hooked up and flowing. Hmm..  really low pressure. I go poking around and find the ground wet under the floor where the plumbing comes out.

It's soupy enough that I could push my arm down up to the shoulder and feel the leak with my fingers. Must have nicked the pex when I cut out the old drain.

I dug out about ten gallons of mud and put a space heater down to help it dry.

During my plumbing experiment, I discovered that whoever did the plumbing installed the sediment filter backwards so it plugged up from the inside out until it burst and wasn't filtering anything. It's fixed now. Here's a pic of the cartridge:

I've ordered new filters for the rest of the treatment system because I'm sure there's trash in them.

Once they're changed and the cut pex is repaired, I'll be good to go for water supply.

I'm calling it a day at this point. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/15/22 2:22 p.m.

Fixed!

Going to leave the line pressurized for a while, just in case.

That's the full length of my arm deep.

Here's the culprit:

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/15/22 6:31 p.m.

Insulation is in and half the floor.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/16/22 5:59 p.m.

Quail eggs for breakfast this morning:

Floor is down. Framed some free patio doors into the east wall today. I'll be sealing them in and adding trim to the outside later.

South wall will be next. Have to visit the lumber yard again. I think I'm funding their Christmas party this year.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
10/17/22 1:08 a.m.

It's a little late, but those 2x4 wall studs should have extra strips nailed on so you've got 6" depth for insulation.
When it's -35C out you'll be happy you did.  Same thing with the roof stringers.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/17/22 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Honsch :

Those are the original walls, I had to put the floor inside and ties the walls to it. Roof stringers won't be insulated because the room will have a ceiling.

We're building a second wall, inside the first to give an 8" thickness where it's needed and to help tie the building together.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/17/22 10:37 a.m.

My head is still reeling watching all this happen.  It is very definitely a Major Life Change.  Proud of you for doing it (and for getting the hell out of the GVRD)!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/17/22 11:25 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks!

I'm still having trouble adjusting to the work schedule. 

I feel like I just screw around all day, it's hard to remember that all this work is for a goal sometime in the future.

Turning wrenches gave almost instant gratification. That thing that didn't run this morning does now.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/17/22 9:12 p.m.

Did some tractoring today. 

Bought 6 round bales of wheat straw from the neighbours to mulch the garden and give the horses some bedding for the winter.

This should keep the garlic and the flower bulbs from freezing and dying over winter, in the spring it will help the soil retain water, stay warmer and help build organic matter in the soil as it breaks down (so they tell me).

Worked until I ran out of daylight.

Also, TIL you can 4-wheel drift a tractor if you drive it wrong enough on a gravel road.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/19/22 8:29 p.m.

Modifications to the east wall are done. Need to put the siding back on, get the glass doors trimmed and sealed and then I can start on the south wall.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/20/22 7:59 p.m.

East wall is done.

I have to say, this is a lot more work than I was expecting but I feel like I'm making good progress. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/20/22 8:19 p.m.

Looking good!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/22/22 6:46 p.m.

Checking more stuff off the list.

Supposed to get snow this week so repaired the pipe on the old Franklin stove in the shop.

Had to put a new elbow on and put the pipe up again.

I lit a small fire in it and it draws well, I've got plenty of scrap wood for winter. 

South wall modifications are finished and the glass is in temporarily. Tomorrow I'll be making and installing the trim strips to hold the glass in place.

Those are triple pane inserts that I got for free from a local window supplier. I asked about pricing and told them what I was doing. They brought me out to the pile of old windows out back and even helped me load.

From the outside. 

This has been fun, the building isn't the least bit square so it's a bit of an adventure.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
10/22/22 6:58 p.m.

Please get some kind of non combustible barrier between your stove and the wall and foam!! 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/22/22 7:59 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

On the list.

That was a previous owner install.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/24/22 10:34 a.m.

It's here...

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/24/22 12:25 p.m.
ShawnG said:

It's here...

That's fine. Weeks of choking smoke is gone from the valley and it's pissing rain this morning. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/24/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Beautiful!

It always surprises me to see the first snow pictures. I had to turn the AC back on a couple of hours ago. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/24/22 11:09 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Lol, I can always put more clothes on to get warm.

When it's hot out, there's a legal and practical limit to how much clothing you can remove.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
10/25/22 3:13 a.m.
ShawnG said:

When it's hot out, there's a legal and practical limit to how much clothing you can remove.

Not if your neighbors live far enough away,

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/25/22 7:57 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Preaching to the choir. I'd much rather be in Canada during the summer and would probably love it in the winter too. 

Unfortunately, family is in the South.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/25/22 6:08 p.m.

Working inside the grow house today.

0c outside, +12c inside and it's not fully insulated yet. That makes me very happy.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/25/22 6:16 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Please get some kind of non combustible barrier between your stove and the wall and foam!! 

No list. 

You can put up something as simple as Hardie board for under $50. Heck, even if it wasn't even nailed, just leaning there. 

Should be done before you light a fire in it at all. 

You've got too much effort underway to burn it down. 

Keep up the amazing work!  (But do that first)

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/25/22 7:35 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

That's in my workshop, not the grow house.

The small fire was a cardboard box.

That being said, a trip to the lumber yard is due and a couple sheets of cement board are on the shopping list.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eKvGtQoQMIOqU3mah6lMqJzHGJaFFcxOUYkwPHVmgzQade74Md5lKQIIQkX77FNU