Slippery PowerDork
9/8/22 1:39 p.m.

Just passed away. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61585886

RIP

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
9/8/22 1:42 p.m.

Just saw the headline. Didn't believe it. Checked here to confirm. 

*edit. I don't know much about her, other than she seemed to be truly liked by her people from what I could see. I suppose that says a lot about a person. RIP your majesty. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/8/22 1:42 p.m.

Say what you will about the concept of a monarchy in today's world, there's no denying the cultural impact that Elizabeth had. RIP to a true global icon.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/22 1:43 p.m.

So are they skipping Charles? 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/8/22 1:43 p.m.

I read something this morning that led me to believe this event was imminent. 

RIP.

She was an indisputably remarkable woman.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
9/8/22 1:47 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

Operation London Bridge

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
9/8/22 1:50 p.m.

Long live the King

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/8/22 1:52 p.m.

Any person of privilege who fights to defend their country instead of hiding behind said privilege is alright by me.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/8/22 1:53 p.m.

Wild. I almost thought it would never happen. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/8/22 1:59 p.m.

I thought she would outlive Charles myself..

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/22 2:00 p.m.

Lewis Hamilton for King! 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/8/22 2:02 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

For many years, me to.   Long live the Queen.

Long live the King.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/8/22 2:03 p.m.

My condolences to her family and the British people. 

She was a great lady. 

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
9/8/22 2:05 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Any person of privilege who fights to defend their country instead of hiding behind said privilege is alright by me.

That's what I liked about Harry vs. William.  He chose to join an Apache squadron and worked to become aircraft commander.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/8/22 2:25 p.m.
Slippery said:
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

Operation London Bridge

This level of pre-planning is strangely intriguing.  

Sample:

The media would be informed by announcement to PA Media and the BBC through the Radio Alert Transmission System (RATS) and to commercial radio on the Independent Radio News through a network of blue "obit lights" which will alert presenters to play "inoffensive music" and prepare for a news flash, while BBC Two would suspend scheduled programming and switch to BBC One's broadcast of the announcement.[11] BBC News will air a pre-recorded sequence of portraits, during which the presenters on duty at the time will prepare for the formal announcement by putting on dark clothing prepared for this purpose. The Guardian has reported that The Times has 11 days of prepared coverage ready and that ITN and Sky News have long rehearsed her death, but substituting the name "Mrs Robinson".[1]

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/8/22 2:39 p.m.
Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
9/8/22 2:45 p.m.
jmabarone said:
Appleseed said:

That's what I liked about Harry vs. William.  He chose to join an Apache squadron and worked to become aircraft commander.  

I am sure William's military exposure was curbed due to him being the second in line to the throne, and not because he decided against it. In my eyes, they both more than served their country.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/8/22 3:00 p.m.

I just read that Elizabeth was only the 40th person to sit on that throne since the line started with William the Conqueror. Honestly, more than anything else, that kind of blows my mind.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/8/22 3:03 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I've always liked this photo.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/22 3:07 p.m.

RIP.  70 years, 214 days, hell of an innings.  Forget politics, forget forms of government, she was certainly an excellent head of state, even if only ceremonial, on the world stage.

Let's see what Charles chooses as his official title.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/8/22 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

BBC says he will be known as King Charles III

Rons
Rons HalfDork
9/8/22 3:21 p.m.
Slippery said:
jmabarone said:
Appleseed said:

I am sure William's military exposure was curbed due to him being the second in line to the throne, and not because he decided against it. In my eyes, they both more than served their country.

The concept goes so deeply that Charles, William and his children won’t travel together, and it is rare to see them together in public.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/8/22 3:23 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

BBC says he will be known as King Charles III

Common nicknames for the third generation include Trip, Tripp, Trey, Tres, Trace and Tre.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/8/22 3:57 p.m.

I'm out here selling hydraulic hose and some distributors tell me they don't want to change and sell my brand. 

No problem I tell them, keep me in mind in the future.  Then I tell them if COVID has taught us anything it's that the world can QUICKLY change tomorrow.  

And today it has changed again.  

Rons
Rons HalfDork
9/8/22 4:01 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

The Queen (King) is the head of state as is the President of the USA. The monarch cannot enact legislation or cause things to happen. There is a regular consultation in private between the monarch (or representative in Canada) these discussions remain private but could include the Prime Minister and government are acting as shiny happy people.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b1uSOsOXihhiq0noe6Gdk7K8xDjL31qY3OX8zrgQjaXzDQXFZGN80yJutMIP3Bty