1 2 3
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/12/23 7:56 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

If it's make you have a funny face while you exert or bounce them around pain and not OUCH, that's within the realm of what I experienced.  I'd say it was easy to provoke an ache, not pain. It's pretty much gone away with time. Just... A hair sensitive... I'm several months out from it now and don't really have any of it now, pretty much back to normal. 

This makes me feel better. That's pretty much how things are. The peak pain I experience is probably akin to inserting a needle for taking blood, or sticking a paper cut in soapy water.

I also really want an answer on whether or not exercise is liable to cause any damage, or if I'm just dealing with sensitivity/irritation. Being able to work out is important to me. I can work out while dealing with moderate discomfort. I just want to know I'm not making things worse or keeping them from getting better.

This is extremely helpful right now. This is what I need to express to the doctor to clarify my concerns and not be That Guy:

I'm not worried this is some major issue. I just want to be able to exercise and do my hobbies, and want to know that I can do so safely without creating or extending any health problems.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/12/23 8:13 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I was 100% back to normal in 24 hours, and have not felt anything since. If you are feeling ANYTHING, have it looked at. 

Same, other than some hilarious embarrassing moments I felt nothing.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/12/23 9:03 a.m.

At 9 weeks, you absolutely have a legitimate complaint. Go get it checked.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/12/23 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Please by no means take my message as any excuse to not have the conversation with the doc/nurse.  But I do hope it can help you approach that conversation from a more relaxed place. 

For me, I knew I was overdoing it quite a bit wrangling my kids (picking them up, wrestling for diaper changes, etc) within a day or two of the procedure, so I had some residual aggravation. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/12/23 10:48 a.m.

Verdict from the RN is: Sperm Granuloma. Outside possibility of something else.

Resting from physical activity including lifting kegs and grain sacks for the next 2 weeks, and taking lots of ibuprofin for the next week.

I have a follow up appointment scheduled with the urologist for 4 weeks out, but call and cancel if things clear up before then.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
5/13/23 10:15 a.m.

Interesting. So ibuprofen was the treatment course? I was still really sore after a couple weeks and they told me I had never taken enough ibuprofen; I just don't bother with the stuff if I can. Apparently it is actually necessary for some things, so I took huge doses over the weekend and my issue was fixed. So to speak. 

Also, that story about the rubber band discovery on the ride home -- I can't stop LOLing

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/13/23 10:23 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Specifically 800 mg doses 3x per day for 7-10 days, which is a prescription course. Normal OTC doses are like 200-400mg at a time, and you're not supposed to exceed more than 1600mg in a day without physician guidance.

Apparently when you get up to 800mg it is more of an anti-inflammatory that really kicks in after about 2 days.

A sperm granuloma is an immune inflammation response, so that makes sense.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/13/23 1:35 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

Resting from physical activity including lifting kegs and grain sacks for the next 2 weeks, and taking lots of ibuprofin for the next week.

I have a follow up appointment scheduled with the urologist for 4 weeks out, but call and cancel if things clear up before then.

I was just reminded by this that I had one of those...

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/13/23 3:32 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

In reply to P3PPY :

Specifically 800 mg doses 3x per day for 7-10 days, which is a prescription course. Normal OTC doses are like 200-400mg at a time, and you're not supposed to exceed more than 1600mg in a day without physician guidance.

Apparently when you get up to 800mg it is more of an anti-inflammatory that really kicks in after about 2 days.

A sperm granuloma is an immune inflammation response, so that makes sense.

Cripes. That's a lot of ibuprofen. That stuff will burn a hole in your stomach if you take that much for too long. Make sure you eat something before you take it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/13/23 9:11 p.m.

Sorry dude. I'm glad you checked. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/13/23 11:50 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Sorry dude. I'm glad you checked. 

I was cringing every time I saw this thread at the top of the latest topic pile.  

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/14/23 8:56 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Beer Baron said:

I was just reminded by this that I had one of those...

They are super common. Estimates vary, but they occur in roughly 1/3 of vasectomies. It's just that they usually clear up in the first couple weeks without too much fuss.

Probably why most guys it's like 1-3 days recovery, but super common for guys to report being a bit uncomfortable for a couple weeks.

I also suffered a scrotal hematoma, which was not fun. I had been concerned this was nerve pain or scar tissue related to that. I'm actually relieved it's a granuloma. It was kinda scary we searching for vasectomy pain after 8 weeks and getting the OPPOSITE of the usual internet problem - seeing *nothing* except for the frighteningly vague "Post Vasectomy Pain Syndrome".

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Yeah, I'm being careful about how much Ibuprofin that is. When I grabbed a bottle over the counter and realized how big a dose it is, I got a bit worried. Read up on why a physician would prescribe that much. I will probably take a week off of drinking except for 2 drinks yesterday at friends' wedding reception (not counting tasting/sampling as necessary for work).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/14/23 11:28 a.m.

Timely thread.  Friday I developed some discomfort downstairs.  First noticeable getting in/out of the car, then more discomfort when I was mountain biking.  Yesterday it was building to the point where at the end of the day it felt similar to the day after the vasectomy (late January).  This morning I went to Urgent care and they said either:  Epididymitis infection, or inflamed scar tissue from vasectomy.

I asked if it was odd that it suddenly became inflamed even though I had several months of trouble free, no pain, etc.  They suggested it isn't uncommon.

Either way I'll be picking up an antibiotic prescription shortly.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/17/23 9:04 a.m.

Hey dude, how are your balls?

iansane
iansane Dork
5/17/23 10:26 a.m.
tuna55 said:

It's only may and we have the post of the year, right here.

so_slow
so_slow Reader
5/17/23 10:46 a.m.

I have had two vasectomies. Just a reminder to do the follow up testing to make sure it worked. You don't want to find out the other way.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/17/23 11:03 a.m.
tuna55 said:

Better than a week ago. Not back up to 100% yet. I'd say probably 65% better. Also tough to tell because I'm on a massive dose of ibuprofen and haven't done any exercise that would make things spike up. But I'm not bothered by bumpy roads when driving the S2000.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/17/23 11:03 a.m.
so_slow said:

I have had two vasectomies. Just a reminder to do the follow up testing to make sure it worked. You don't want to find out the other way.

I have a schedule for sample testing in 2 weeks.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/17/23 5:16 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

If it was me I'd convince the little lady I needed help clearing the "pipes" often.  Like 14 straight clearings......is that a thing?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/17/23 6:48 p.m.

Those are basically the doctors orders.  Then you have 2 rounds of sample testing, with additional pipe cleaning between them

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
5/17/23 6:49 p.m.

In reply to so_slow :

Why two? 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/17/23 6:54 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
Beer Baron said:

If it was me I'd convince the little lady I needed help clearing the "pipes" often.  Like 14 straight clearings......is that a thing?

Mine was disinterested in that task. 

Since I drove myself, I didn't hear the instructions clearly, as I was concentrating on my crotch. 

I was given two sample containers. I was told to bring them in the morning after a certain period of time. I didn't remember much else. They had to be fresh within an hour or two. 

I brought them -both- filled in the prescribed date on the way to work. 

The very attractive lady at the desk told me that, while she appreciated my efforts, I was to bring each sample a week apart. 

I've never been so embarrassed. I took the new empty cup and left without so much as a clever retort. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
5/17/23 7:40 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to so_slow :

Why two? 

I'd assume he still had swimmers. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/17/23 7:57 p.m.

I'm hoping to get put out for mine. 

I had a buddy who went under when they did his. The Doc said there were some benefits to it - less "rush" and more ability for the surgeon to focus on the work, less on the patient. 

I also don't want any metal in me, as I've heard some guys complain about the clips causing pain. 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
5/17/23 8:03 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

I was awake and didn't feel anything except the initial prick for the local anesthesia. He severed and burned each end of my lines. I def smelled that happening. It didnt last long and I didn't need to provide samples. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xCwkfkVnA5yt2JqSw5WfYwZkMEmq1We0q8OFeVPcWJJ5rgMoomvqrwWR9ljHzqyI