1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/8/20 12:31 p.m.

My kid is still being built. I look forward to teaching him firsthand accounts of the Pandemic in 16 or 17 years when he gets to that part in history class.

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/20 12:43 p.m.

I have to wonder what the plan is for schools that have just shut down. Our system is on course to finish the year on their normal schedule. They are even taking a "Spring Break" next week.

Are the rest of them planning to continue through the summer? 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/8/20 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) :

The feeling I'm getting based on emails from the district is that they're just calling it quits for this year and kicking the can down the road.

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/20 2:29 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

That doesn't sound like a great plan. So seniors don't graduate and everyone gets held back a year?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/8/20 2:49 p.m.
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

That doesn't sound like a great plan. So seniors don't graduate and everyone gets held back a year?

No, they're graduating.  And nobody gets held back a year.  It just looks like they're waiving the last marking period.  Instruction is available online, but it is optional.  Even the AP tests are being modified to reflect the shortened school year.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/8/20 2:50 p.m.

No, the state has kind of said no one will get worse grades than they had when this started and you could theoretically improve them. My kids; 14, 11 and 8 have school work in packets that my wife or I pick up every two weeks and turn in when picking up the next packet. It amounts to 4 hours of steady work which is probably equal to what they would have done in school. The 14yo has a school issued laptop and receives and turns in her homework that way. Teachers are available during regular school hours and have been helpful and even called both me and my wife to see what is working and what isn't. I'm pretty impressed actually. I do see homeschool or online classes being big going forward cause we are proving that it can be done pretty easily.

We actually homeschooled at first with the oldest but the interaction with other children her age wasn't the greatest so we enrolled her and her siblings have always gone. I think interaction is probably the biggest hold back from a major shift to homeschool. Can't be worse than the boarding school I attended in the mid-nineties!

Catatafish
Catatafish HalfDork
4/8/20 3:12 p.m.

I recently realized that if I had skipped grades 10-12 my life would not be appreciably different in anyway. The most important part of my high school experience was socializing and auto class. 

If I was given the power to change the education system, school would end at 10th grade, and students would go into college, university, trade schools, or straight to work. In my opinion the majority of my schooling was wasted time, or time spent learning things that were not being taught, like how to skip class effectively, social etiquette, and how to do as little work as possible and still get ahead. 

Let your kids be kids in this time. Learning is more than books and figures, and most kids would be better off going to work with their parents for a week to see what life is really like after the training wheels come off.

John Brown
John Brown MegaDork
4/8/20 3:21 p.m.

Got pretty lucky, boys 12, 14 and 17 are all up by 8:30am ish with a little fight to get them to log off and take a walk with the dogs for an hour every day. Ran a 10/100 switch box upstairs for their three computers to help resolve wifi issues within the farmhouse.

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
4/8/20 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Catatafish :

I agree 100%

I have nothing good to say about the education industry  and I did skip grades 10-12

Bear, let your kids be kids.  It sound like they're good and they deserve it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FxqkSrFPLQ8W0brUQVCQJCK8DIh64kH8il0WFU8sf1zjeHnbwNVeJwH7rypRvwB1