1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/1/19 2:41 p.m.

And a small update: This morning my wife goes, Hey, there's a hawk nest in the neighbor's yard.

That would explain the hawk I saw carrying off a woodland creature the other day....

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
5/1/19 2:47 p.m.

I had the same issue just after we sodded our lawn w/Bahia and the rabbits started showing up.  We put up a rabbit fence, but they still got through.  That made harder for them to get out and easier for the dogs to catch them.  We tried sprays, spreading dog hair clippings, etc and nothing really worked.  Eventually we fenced the whole yard and haven't seen the rabbits since.  A possom did find his way into the yard last week, but the dogs only barked and (thankfully) didn't mess with him.

The nice surprise you may find, is that as the rabbits eat all sorts of weeds/plants.  When they poop on your lawn, you'll discover all sorts of new plants growing as a result.   

David S. Wallens
5/1/19 3:02 p.m.

Yeah, on the plus side, the yard does look good (minus the poop). 

David S. Wallens
5/1/19 3:04 p.m.

And I spoke to one of our rabbit rescues. They asked if our rabbits were domesticated or wild. How do I tell? I asked. 

I guess the color gives it away: brown = wild. Ours are brown, and this group doesn't deal with wild rabbits. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/1/19 3:25 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Import some owls?

We have one of these guys who visits our yard occasionally: Barred Owl. He is magnificent, but I will tell you that some of his vocalizations are terrifying, especially when it's coming from the wooded area right outside my bedroom window late at night and Tim is traveling. Think jungle-level screeches and hoots and calls. We definitely do NOT have any hoppy widdle bunnies, though I might prefer.

Margie

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
5/1/19 3:35 p.m.

Margie-

We had a barred owl in the neighborhood ourselves. It's been a few years since I've seen it, so I think it passed.

Owl pellets (that they hork up) will *ruin* car paint unless you get it off immediately

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/1/19 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Hm, I will consider myself warned. He is so big I actually hear the feathers flapping when he drops down to the grass.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TYoisrtUBHKnRC8d9UkTOVobrlnuCiHC8dNMcnyOoJ67PaA68xvcCOn3Boy1omMG